Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me where to start?

Wikiposts

Can anyone tell me where to start?

Old May 5th 2008, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Webstinction is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone tell me where to start?

My partner (29) and I (34) have two adopted children and want to relocate permenantly to Vancouver Island or the coastal areas of BC. I am a senior IT project manager with a UK based company managing government and commercial contracts in software development. My partner is a qualified teaching assistant working with children in a residential school for students with Autism.

We've been searching the Internet for some time, reading reams of information about the process, what we need, whether we need a TWP or apply through the standard route, and to be honest it's becoming quite confusing.

Does anyone have any experience they could share with us and perhaps point us in the right direction?

Many Thanks, Andy

Last edited by Webstinction; May 5th 2008 at 8:26 am. Reason: Updated work description
Old May 5th 2008, 8:57 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone tell me where to start?

Originally Posted by Webstinction
My partner (29) and I (34) have two adopted children and want to relocate permenantly to Vancouver Island or the coastal areas of BC. I am a senior IT project manager with a UK based company managing government and commercial contracts in software development. My partner is a qualified teaching assistant working with children in a residential school for students with Autism.

We've been searching the Internet for some time, reading reams of information about the process, what we need, whether we need a TWP or apply through the standard route, and to be honest it's becoming quite confusing.

Does anyone have any experience they could share with us and perhaps point us in the right direction?

Many Thanks, Andy
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada
Old May 5th 2008, 8:59 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and Welcome to BE

I am fairly new to this also, but recent proposals to change the process for the SW route effectively means that the reality is you will need to have a job in the pipeline to make the move unless you look to apply under another scheme

There is loads of info on the top of the immigration forum that are highlighted in blue which will give you an update on the present position.

There are members of the forum who are far more qualified than me to give further advice and I'm sure they will be along in due course.

In the meantime the Wiki at the top of the page has loads of information regarding the whole process, and whilst it takes some time to go through it really helped me to look at our options.

Good luck with your plans
Old May 5th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I am no expert, but I would recommend that you look into the British Columbia Provincial Nomination Scheme (PNP).

This would probably involve coming on a TWP first and working with an employer to get your PNP after which you would apply for PR with PNP.

I'll leave you to check up on the details through the official websites (Federal and provincial) and using the Wiki.