Can anyone help?

Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:48 am
Just Joined

RobertoMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone help with my immigration situation?

Well, it's a long story. But, basically i've been living in Canada for 7 years now. I've completed college here from 2004-2006 and finished with an honours degree in journalism. I'm currently working for a small company on a volunteer basis. I'm desperate to be able to get paid work here. I'm now 25 and i need some income to be able to move forward with my life. My family lives in Canada (mum, dad, sister and brother) and my brother is in the same boat as i am, as he's now 24. My family and i applied for permanant residency but my brother and i did not recieve ours, due to being over the age of 22 and not considered "dependent" on our parents (even though we both still are as we're not allowed to work legally). I honestly don't know what Canadian immigration expects of people in my situation. It's been a nightmare not being able to work. I hope someone can help me with my problem.

Other relevent information : I dont have paid work experience having lived here since i was 18. I also dont have the money to pay for international student fees for school here. I read some information that said BUNAC might be a good option. Can anyone clarifiy?

Thank you for your time and patience.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:01 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone help with my immigration situation?

I am not an expert but the way I understand it is:-

1) find a job in your field that can not be filled by a Canadian resident.

2) be accepted for that job.

3) apply for a work permit.

4) get work permit and begin employment.

5) apply for PR.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

Originally Posted by RobertoMan
Well, it's a long story. But, basically i've been living in Canada for 7 years now. I've completed college here from 2004-2006 and finished with an honours degree in journalism. I'm currently working for a small company on a volunteer basis. I'm desperate to be able to get paid work here. I'm now 25 and i need some income to be able to move forward with my life. My family lives in Canada (mum, dad, sister and brother) and my brother is in the same boat as i am, as he's now 24. My family and i applied for permanant residency but my brother and i did not recieve ours, due to being over the age of 22 and not considered "dependent" on our parents (even though we both still are as we're not allowed to work legally). I honestly don't know what Canadian immigration expects of people in my situation. It's been a nightmare not being able to work. I hope someone can help me with my problem.

Other relevent information : I dont have paid work experience having lived here since i was 18. I also dont have the money to pay for international student fees for school here. I read some information that said BUNAC might be a good option. Can anyone clarifiy?

BUNAC will provide you with a open work permit for one year. They take applications from december, and only have a set amount, so you'd need to hurry to apply.
Journalism also appears to be on the occupations under pressure list for BC, (not sure where in canada you are) so maybe you could apply for a job in journalism in BC, get LMO based on job offer, then get Temp work permit, eventually leading on to PR.
Not 100% sure on all the facts involved, but i'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong.
Good luck with finding a solution!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:18 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone help?

Ive merged the Lifestyle and Immigration versions of this thread.

There is a redirect in the lifestyle area to draw attention to it here, but its best to try and avoid duplication where posible and keep all the answers in one place.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:36 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobertoMan

I may be getting you mixed up with someone else but didnt we discuss this before in another thread? I seemed to remember finding it a bit strange that you'd been working for a company for free for over 2 years and they werent willing to offer you a paid job to help you get a work permit or PR status?

That being said it seem the most obvious route to me is the Canadian Experience Class since you have already met one of the requirements. You have a degree from a Canadian institution following 2 years of study. Next you need to get 12 months of paid work experience in a skill level 0, A or B occupation. This could possibly be done through a BUNAC visa (not requiring an LMO) if you cannot find a job for which the employer would apply for an LMO for you.

Did your parents not apply for PR while you were under 22 or while you were still a student? If they had you should have received PR status with them as a dependant child.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:46 am
Just Joined

RobertoMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, i have been in this forum before. I was hoping there might be some updated information for me. But at this time, i guess there's not much i can do except apply for BUNAC. Does anyone know if i can apply for BUNAC from Canada?

To answer a few earlier questions.

My parents didnt apply for Permanent Residency sooner because we were not sure we were going to stay as my dad's work situation has been precarious. When we finally got everything sorted out with my father's work, we applied. Unfortunately, it was too late for my brother and i to recieve Residency. I've worked for the same online media organization now for two years. They don't have the capacity to recieve LMO clearence as they are basically just a small organization with no full time staff.

I thank everyone for their responses, even if it's just to offer support. I know there are people who are going through worse things than i am right now (maybe even some on this forum) but i'm just soo sick of this situation!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:54 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Note that I'm not an expert on BUNAC but I think I read something recently about the rules having been changed to allow people to apply without having to go back to the UK to do so. Hopefully someone else with BUNAC experience will be able to confirm.

I honestly think you main focus needs to be on getting a paid job. You have a journalism degree from a Canadian institution and you do have experience (even though it wasnt paid). Admittedly some employers will be detered when they discover they have to apply for an LMO (assuming you cant get a BUNAC visa) but you need to do a selling job here. Remind them that its actually only one form to complete after all. There is some useful info in the Wiki about job hunting and job search skills.