Calgary emigration

Old Apr 15th 2005, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary emigration

Originally Posted by apfairhurst
Calgal...did you buy an acreage as soon as you arrived in Calgary or did you buy a city house first to see how the winters would affect you. I do not really want the hassle and added cost of moving twice but also do not want the hassle of being snowed in all the time. The idea of land and a big barn does excite me though.

We lived in the City for the first five years (couldn't afford an acreage at the time). Winters are getting milder with every year that passes, or so it seems. When we do get that big snow storm, because of the unique weather conditions here in Calgary (Chinook winds) it doesn't last long. Only caution is - if you live in the country here, a ride on mower is almost a neccessity for mowing, and snow clearance (some driveways are very long - take an age to shovel...lol) we have a 4x4 version with a snow blade on the front and a mower deck for the summer. Much easier

The thing to consider apart from the hassle of moving, is the cost of selling! It is HIGH here! SEVEN percent on the first $100,000 of your home value, then THREE percent on the remaining balance. Last house we sold cost $20,500 in real estate commission alone! :scared: