CAIPS Interpretation--Experts

Old Dec 18th 2004, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

willhrhodes is on a distinguished road
Default CAIPS Interpretation--Experts

Ok, I have finally gotten Caips notes and it is hard to understand. I got the decoding kit, but I still have some questions.

First what does Medical Status "M39 mean?" Under medical notes, it states "The applicant has been assessed as excessive demand exempt (EDE/EFE) only." What does this mean?

Secondly, my souse and are got married last January (before we applied). We are a same sex couple. I wrote a letter explaining how we met each category. They have this letter documented in the Notes but they are processing me as a conjugal partner. I marked Spouse on my form. Why am I being processed as conjugal?

Also, all of the following codes are "0"--PSDEC, BDEC, OREQ, SELDEC, MEDDEC, FINDEC. I guess none of these have been decided?

What does "Paper File sent to TB" mean?

My "File BF'D to : CN! ON 11-12-2004" What does this mean again?

My "Medical Validity" is listed until 11-02-2005. I took the medical in Feb of 2004. Why is it good for over a year? Does this mean it will take more than a year to process me?

Also...I sent my FBI fingerprints in with the application...how can I tell that they have them?

Thanks for any help!!

Last edited by willhrhodes; Dec 18th 2004 at 7:03 am.
Old Dec 18th 2004, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Xyzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CAIPS Interpretation--Experts

I am very far from being an expert, but in my experience CIC always seems to write dates in the format DD-MM-YYYY. So 11-02-2005 is February 11, not November 2. Usually the medicals are valid for exactly one year. Did you take your medical exam on February 11, 2004?
Old Dec 18th 2004, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

AHHH....I always forget that it is written differently...yes, I did have them done on Feb 11th. thanks!!!

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I am very far from being an expert, but in my experience CIC always seems to write dates in the format DD-MM-YYYY. So 11-02-2005 is February 11, not November 2. Usually the medicals are valid for exactly one year. Did you take your medical exam on February 11, 2004?
Old Dec 18th 2004, 7:16 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You are being processed as conjugal partners because you probably didn't meet the definition of common-law partners (12 months cohabitation). Same sex marriages are not recognized by CIC or Canadian government so far.

As sponsored spouse, common-law or conjugal partner you are exempt from inadmissibility findings based on excessive demand on Canadian health and social programs.

You did medicals last February and decision is valid till February 2005 - as it should, 12 months. You need to remember that international date standard is Day-Month-Year or Year-Month-Day and only mainly in US the Month-Day-Year date standard remains, for the same reasons why imperial (not metric) measures system remains standard in US decades after rest of the "imperial" world (including Canada) adopted metric system.

Everything else is normal and I don't see any red flags in the limited info you provided. Relax and wait.

Originally Posted by willhrhodes
Ok, I have finally gotten Caips notes and it is hard to understand. I got the decoding kit, but I still have some questions.

First what does Medical Status "M39 mean?" Under medical notes, it states "The applicant has been assessed as excessive demand exempt (EDE/EFE) only." What does this mean?

Secondly, my souse and are got married last January (before we applied). We are a same sex couple. I wrote a letter explaining how we met each category. They have this letter documented in the Notes but they are processing me as a conjugal partner. I marked Spouse on my form. Why am I being processed as conjugal?

Also, all of the following codes are "0"--PSDEC, BDEC, OREQ, SELDEC, MEDDEC, FINDEC. I guess none of these have been decided?

What does "Paper File sent to TB" mean?

My "File BF'D to : CN! ON 11-12-2004" What does this mean again?

My "Medical Validity" is listed until 11-02-2005. I took the medical in Feb of 2004. Why is it good for over a year? Does this mean it will take more than a year to process me?

Also...I sent my FBI fingerprints in with the application...how can I tell that they have them?

Thanks for any help!!
Old Dec 18th 2004, 7:23 am
Happy Canadian PR

ozinca will become famous soon enoughozinca will become famous soon enough

Hi Willrhodhes,

Will this process ever end? From what I can tell, and believe me I do not know much, your BFD is your 'brought file date' which in your case is December 11, 2004. This seems good as it could mean that you may receive something from them soon, or as CAIPS notes are about a month old (from what I heard) Buffalo may have added a new, later BFD depending on whether the application is complete.

My medicals also expire in Feb 2005, and yes, they are supposed to have a one year validity but Buffalo can extend them if they decide. (again so I heard)

"The applicant has been assessed as excessive demand exempt (EDE/EFE) only." I have no idea what that means, but it sure sounds interesting.

In regards to the "0"--PSDEC, BDEC, OREQ, SELDEC, MEDDEC, FINDEC, I have read in previous posts that these sections are often left blanc for family class right until the decision is made. For skilled worker class, these sections are updated throughout the process.

Good luck and stay sane,
Ozinca
Old Dec 18th 2004, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: CAIPS Interpretation--Experts et all

Thanks Andrew. What other info should I look at on my Caips notes? It is like 10 pages long and seems to just repeat everything again and again. Also, about the same-sex marriage, what about the "Interim Policy on Same-Sex Marriage" that was posted on the CIC website that stated same-sex marriages would be recognized for the time being? Are conjugal applications slower than spousal? Let me know anything on these notes that I should look for.

Thanks,
Will

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You are being processed as conjugal partners because you probably didn't meet the definition of common-law partners (12 months cohabitation). Same sex marriages are not recognized by CIC or Canadian government so far.

As sponsored spouse, common-law or conjugal partner you are exempt from inadmissibility findings based on excessive demand on Canadian health and social programs.

You did medicals last February and decision is valid till February 2005 - as it should, 12 months. You need to remember that international date standard is Day-Month-Year or Year-Month-Day and only mainly in US the Month-Day-Year date standard remains, for the same reasons why imperial (not metric) measures system remains standard in US decades after rest of the "imperial" world (including Canada) adopted metric system.

Everything else is normal and I don't see any red flags in the limited info you provided. Relax and wait.
Old Dec 18th 2004, 11:33 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CAIPS Interpretation--Experts et all

The interim policy you are taking about simply makes little bit easier for same sex couples who are not common-law partners to meet burden of proof of their conjugal relationship. Marriage certificate is just one of many elements taken into consideration when assessing interdependency, commitment, etc.

And no, conjugal are not processed with lower priority than spousal or common-law cases, but may take longer if evidence is inconclusive. Remember that marriage certificate alone proves really nothing in same sex cases - it is only one of many factors and a lot of other factors must be present and conclusively documented. I can't tell you what other factors as those are always case specific and I just can't tell what other evidence should be provided to prove relationship without makinf full evaluation of the case.

Originally Posted by willhrhodes
Thanks Andrew. What other info should I look at on my Caips notes? It is like 10 pages long and seems to just repeat everything again and again. Also, about the same-sex marriage, what about the "Interim Policy on Same-Sex Marriage" that was posted on the CIC website that stated same-sex marriages would be recognized for the time being? Are conjugal applications slower than spousal? Let me know anything on these notes that I should look for.

Thanks,
Will