Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Buying a business in Canada - options?

Buying a business in Canada - options?

Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Grunff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a business in Canada - options?

Hi all,

I hope my question isn't an FAQ - I have read through the whole wiki, and CIC, but haven't found an answer yet.

Now that the Federal Entrepreneur Program has been suspended, what options are available to someone wishing to buy a business in Canada?

Can you buy the business and then get a job offer from the the business (i.e. go down the skilled worker route)? Any other options that I have missed?

Thanks!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 12:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a business in Canada - options?

Which province, what type of business, what sort of money are you talking to buy the business, and how many Canadians do you plan to employ? You can't use the Skilled Worker visa to get over there, but many provinces have a business stream as part of their PNP.

If you can give us a bit more info, then hopefully we can help.

Old Aug 9th 2011, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi :-)

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Which province, what type of business, what sort of money are you talking to buy the business, and how many Canadians do you plan to employ? You can't use the Skilled Worker visa to get over there, but many provinces have a business stream as part of their PNP.

If you can give us a bit more info, then hopefully we can help.

All good questions.

Which province - I like BC and I like Ontario. Don't have my heart set on one or the other. Would like to be reasonably near either Vancouver or Toronto. But I'm doing this for the adventure, so I wouldn't mind somewhere more wacky, like Nova Scotia.

What type of business - I haven't found one yet. My experience is primarily in engineering and retail.

How much money - that would depend on the business, and on whether I can borrow against it. I guess I could realistically put in £300k in cash.

How many Canadians will the business employ - dunno!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 12:53 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grunff
Hi :-)

All good questions.

Which province - I like BC and I like Ontario. Don't have my heart set on one or the other. Would like to be reasonably near either Vancouver or Toronto. But I'm doing this for the adventure, so I wouldn't mind somewhere more wacky, like Nova Scotia.

What type of business - I haven't found one yet. My experience is primarily in engineering and retail.

How much money - that would depend on the business, and on whether I can borrow against it. I guess I could realistically put in £300k in cash.

How many Canadians will the business employ - dunno!
Please explain what you mean by "more wacky".
Old Aug 9th 2011, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Please explain what you mean by "more wacky".
Do I have to?
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so you really need to look at each province's PNP. Ontario doesn't have a business stream iirc, and I don't believe NS does either. But BC definitely has a business stream. So you need to research if PNP is an option for you by looking at each of them.

Where did you obtain your previous business ownership/management experience, have you already been running one in Canada or was it in the UK? And what type of business was it?
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:44 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grunff
Do I have to?
Yes please. I have only been here since 1969 and I have never, ever heard it called "wackey". Seems you know something that lots of us who actually live here don't.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 8:15 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Or, you can look to either buy or start your own business and apply for a temporary work permit. That's the route I took.