Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Business Restrictions for Skilled Worker Visa???

Business Restrictions for Skilled Worker Visa???

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 1:47 am
vanman

Question Business Restrictions for Skilled Worker Visa???

A general question this time.

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on buying a business in Canada if you have have originally immigrated on a Skilled Worker Class Visa?

Our situation is as follows: We have been looking at British Columbia as an area that we would like to relocate to, until recently we were running a small business in the UK, which we have now sold. The proceeds of this sale are set aside to finance our new life in Canada (hopefully!!)

Because of the high cost of suitable property in Vancouver (Lower Mainland) we have begun to look at Vancouver Island as a suitable destination, not for this reason alone but also because of the attractions of island life.

Although we seem to have plenty of available points to qualify on a Skilled Worker Visa, we have serious concerns about the state of the job market in Canada and the problems that newly landed immigrants seem to face in finding employment. We don't want to be in the situation where our finances have been eroded by the high cost of living in Canada without work.

As an alternative to employment we have been considering the purchase of a small business on Vancouver Island. We feel confident that between us we have the required business skills to generate a decent income.

We have looked at the Entrepreneur class of the Business Visa, however it seems that our business was not a 'qualifying' business for the purposes of migration. The processing times for the Business Visa do not seem to be any shorter than the Skilled Visa either.

Which brings me to my original question. Is it possible to enter into a business as the holder of a Skilled Worker Visa? Are there any restrictions on doing so? Has anybody else gone down this route?

This seems to be our best option at the moment (unless you know better!)

Hope someone can give us some advice.

Regards,
vanman

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 3:19 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Business Restrictions for Skilled Worker Visa???

Originally Posted by vanman
A general question this time.

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on buying a business in Canada if you have have originally immigrated on a Skilled Worker Class Visa?

Our situation is as follows: We have been looking at British Columbia as an area that we would like to relocate to, until recently we were running a small business in the UK, which we have now sold. The proceeds of this sale are set aside to finance our new life in Canada (hopefully!!)

Because of the high cost of suitable property in Vancouver (Lower Mainland) we have begun to look at Vancouver Island as a suitable destination, not for this reason alone but also because of the attractions of island life.

Although we seem to have plenty of available points to qualify on a Skilled Worker Visa, we have serious concerns about the state of the job market in Canada and the problems that newly landed immigrants seem to face in finding employment. We don't want to be in the situation where our finances have been eroded by the high cost of living in Canada without work.

As an alternative to employment we have been considering the purchase of a small business on Vancouver Island. We feel confident that between us we have the required business skills to generate a decent income.

We have looked at the Entrepreneur class of the Business Visa, however it seems that our business was not a 'qualifying' business for the purposes of migration. The processing times for the Business Visa do not seem to be any shorter than the Skilled Visa either.

Which brings me to my original question. Is it possible to enter into a business as the holder of a Skilled Worker Visa? Are there any restrictions on doing so? Has anybody else gone down this route?

This seems to be our best option at the moment (unless you know better!)

Hope someone can give us some advice.

Regards,
vanman
__________________________________________________ _____________

I found out the following when I asked......if you look at my posts you can find the original. The answer is from Andrew Miller.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you apply and are granted PR visa in Skilled Workers class then you have no conditions imposed on your status after landing, except of course obligation to be physically present in Canada for 730 days in every 5 years period to keep your PR status. You can get a job, start business, invest or do nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonk
Hi,

We have enough points to pass the passmark without a job offer waiting.

Do you actually have to get a job after entry (if you can support yourself otherwise)?

Cheers

Y.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 3:26 am
vanman

Thumbs up Re: Business Restrictions for Skilled Worker Visa???

__________________________________________________ _____________

I found out the following when I asked......if you look at my posts you can find the original. The answer is from Andrew Miller.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you apply and are granted PR visa in Skilled Workers class then you have no conditions imposed on your status after landing, except of course obligation to be physically present in Canada for 730 days in every 5 years period to keep your PR status. You can get a job, start business, invest or do nothing.

Quote:
Hi,

We have enough points to pass the passmark without a job offer waiting.

Do you actually have to get a job after entry (if you can support yourself otherwise)?

Cheers

Y.
Cheers for that Yonk!!

Just what we were hoping to hear!

I guess now we just bite the bullet, and jump on the rollercoaster ride of CIC application and approval.

Anybody else got any advice then please post or PM.

See ya in Canada eh!
vanman

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 3:32 am
vanman

Message for Yonk.

Sorry forgot to ask. Did you follow this route? If so did how far down the road have you got? Any advice to offer about locating a suitable business?

Regards,
vanman

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 4:00 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vanman
Message for Yonk.

Sorry forgot to ask. Did you follow this route? If so did how far down the road have you got? Any advice to offer about locating a suitable business?

Regards,
vanman

We only just started to look at this and it was because of the answer above. Before then, we thought we would have to get a job if we wanted to emigrate. We would prefer to set up a business.

The business I run here doesn't qualify but would give us the funds to relocate and set up a new venture. So sorry that we are not further down the road but if Andrew is right, then it should be no problem. And if you keep reading the posts, on one of them it said 75% of immigrants end up running their own businesses.

Anyway, we are just getting our paperwork together at the moment.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 4:17 am
Just beginning...

binturong is on a distinguished road

That's very encouraging - we're looking at probably doing the same thing (not for a while yet, we're still in the very early stages of considering the move). Don't qualify under the business visa because of lack of experience, but there's no way we could afford to set up what we want to do in the UK, so we'd have to come to Canada under the SW scheme and then set up a business once we arrived.