Business BC PNP

Old Jan 25th 2012, 7:25 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Business BC PNP

We attended the BCPNP business seminar in Vancouver yesterday.
Flew over from Vic via float plane. We are over from the Algarve, Portugal on a three week Recce and are currently staying with my father in Victoria. We plan to settle on the island eventually.

Whilst it was not the most enlightening of 'seminars', it did offer a few insights into the program that are not readily found online.

We are reviewing (but not actioning yet) the regional BC PNP business option as a plan B if our FSW fails for any reason. Should hopefully know a bit more about the latter in the next few months.

Some things we picked up on ('Regional' BCPNP business applicants)
What we already knew: Min $400k worth. $200k investment in the business, create one job. Must be outside Vancouver Metro area and Abbotsford Metro areas.

There were about 25 attendees. The bulk of whom were from Asia.. mostly China and Korea from what I could gather. One other British person. One from UAE. A couple from Greece. The Canadian lecturer was of Chinese extraction.

What we gleaned at the seminar.

1) When creating a job for a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen that person cannot be you, your spouse or an immediate family member.

2) There is a new program being developed in BC (Venture connect) connecting would be buyers (i.e. Business immigrants applying under BC PNP) with the baby boomer brigade running small businesses many of whom are due to retire soon. (next 5 years or so). In effect this would allow you to apply under the Business BCPNP, take over an existing small business, maintain the level of existing employees and ultimately meet the requirements of the program.

3) Under the Business BCPNP initially you are only supported by BC for a 2 year temporary work permit. After two years and on meeting the requirements of the performance agreement BCPNP will then support your application for full PR. At that juncture they will issue a letter of support to extend your 2 year temp work permit whilst your full PR is in process.
My understanding was that at around the two year mark you would be required to report in with proof that you have been (in country) running the business, invested the required funds, created at least one job and not sat around doing bugger all for two years waiting for an automatic PR.

4) You would be required to attend the offices of the Business NCPNP for an interview, covering your business plans/proposal prior to them accepting you on the program and issuing a supporting letter to CIC for your initial 2 year temp work permit.

They quoted processing time as 6-9 months.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business BC PNP

Originally Posted by james.mc
We attended the BCPNP business seminar in Vancouver yesterday.
Flew over from Vic via float plane. We are over from the Algarve, Portugal on a three week Recce and are currently staying with my father in Victoria. We plan to settle on the island eventually.

Whilst it was not the most enlightening of 'seminars', it did offer a few insights into the program that are not readily found online.

We are reviewing (but not actioning yet) the regional BC PNP business option as a plan B if our FSW fails for any reason. Should hopefully know a bit more about the latter in the next few months.

Some things we picked up on ('Regional' BCPNP business applicants)
What we already knew: Min $400k worth. $200k investment in the business, create one job. Must be outside Vancouver Metro area and Abbotsford Metro areas.

There were about 25 attendees. The bulk of whom were from Asia.. mostly China and Korea from what I could gather. One other British person. One from UAE. A couple from Greece. The Canadian lecturer was of Chinese extraction.

What we gleaned at the seminar.

1) When creating a job for a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen that person cannot be you, your spouse or an immediate family member.

2) There is a new program being developed in BC (Venture connect) connecting would be buyers (i.e. Business immigrants applying under BC PNP) with the baby boomer brigade running small businesses many of whom are due to retire soon. (next 5 years or so). In effect this would allow you to apply under the Business BCPNP, take over an existing small business, maintain the level of existing employees and ultimately meet the requirements of the program.

3) Under the Business BCPNP initially you are only supported by BC for a 2 year temporary work permit. After two years and on meeting the requirements of the performance agreement BCPNP will then support your application for full PR. At that juncture they will issue a letter of support to extend your 2 year temp work permit whilst your full PR is in process.
My understanding was that at around the two year mark you would be required to report in with proof that you have been (in country) running the business, invested the required funds, created at least one job and not sat around doing bugger all for two years waiting for an automatic PR.

4) You would be required to attend the offices of the Business NCPNP for an interview, covering your business plans/proposal prior to them accepting you on the program and issuing a supporting letter to CIC for your initial 2 year temp work permit.

They quoted processing time as 6-9 months.
Venture Connect is already in operation matching Businesses and wanna be business owners. http://www.ventureconnect.ca/index.php?page=1
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:47 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

An interesting option that I had not considered. Thanks for the Info. fletch.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:24 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Venture Connect is already in operation matching Businesses and wanna be business owners. http://www.ventureconnect.ca/index.php?page=1
True

I should have mentioned that we met one of the Venture Connect people at the seminar.
Venture Connect does seem to be quite (not solely) focused on Vancouver Island from what I can gather. That suits us, but may not suit others looking more towards the mainland, unless it's the sunshine coast area you are interested in. Not too many businesses on their site, however the lady we spoke with at the seminar did suggest that we contact them when we want more information as they can hunt for suitable businesses coming up for sale and match if need be.

Had a look around Sooke yesterday. Like the area.

Last edited by james.mc; Jan 28th 2012 at 10:48 pm.