bunch of questions! sawweeeee

Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:31 pm
Best place on earth. BC.

MegRobEarlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bunch of questions! sawweeeee

I have been living in the UK since 2004, and have continued to file a tax return for Canada every year since I have been gone to retain residency status. I was advised by the CRA back in 2006 that as I was earning under 32K Canadian in the UK (part time and lived off savings for a couple years) to just file at 0 income and if I was questioned just let them know part time and travelling.
I am just about to apply to sponsor by partner on a spousal visa for us to return back in 2013 but is it worth waiting and declaring him on the tax return in April 12’ and is it worth declaring my income for 2011/2012 on my CDN tax return this year? Has anyone actually submitted a copy of their CDN return with their spouse or common law partner and is this step necessary?

As my partner has been in the process of divorce since 2008 (Absolute late last year) we didn’t combine any finances, mainly to protect an inheritance I received in 2010 and also to ensure that my finances didn’t become entrenched in their financial proceedings.
The only things we have jointly are life insurance, a savings account and a few utility bills. His name is on the mortgage only. However we can prove that we have lived at the same 2 addresses since early 2009. Should this be enough paper tying us together? We don’t have a lot of photos together but obviously have friends and family that have met each other respectively and have travelled back and forth between Canada as a couple a few times and been on joint holidays together.

Also, he will be leaving 3 children in the uk, he DID have a court order re: contact and has them every other weekend but there is no longer any formal documentation surrounding this. We will name them on the application and get medicals (oldest has already started looking at universities in BC) but what do we put on the application re:custody as their agreement is by mutual consent?

Sorry for all the questions peeps!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:42 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bunch of questions! sawweeeee

You've been living in the UK since 2004? Are you a Canadian Citizen or a PR only?

I've never heard that filing Canadian taxes each year but living out of the country retains your PR. Is your PR card still valid?

I'm sure somebody will be along to give you the info you need or to shatter your plans.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:00 pm
Best place on earth. BC.

MegRobEarlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: bunch of questions! sawweeeee

Cra advised me too in 2006, am Canadian citizen. Not worried about that aspect as I am not a permanent resident in the uk.