Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BUNAC vs UK Construction (QS) Work Experience - Advice?

BUNAC vs UK Construction (QS) Work Experience - Advice?

Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

EViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura about
Default BUNAC vs UK Construction (QS) Work Experience - Advice?

I'm in my very early 20's and will be graduating (hopefully ) as a Quantity Surveyor in just over a years time. Although my life ambition is to start a construction business either as a consultant or contractor, I would like to further gather experience as a Quantity Surveyor (Construction Estimator) or similar.

In order to emmigrate in as little time as possible and begin building my career in Canada, as far as I am aware I have two primary options here, they are:

a) Begin working for a UK construction company and get (RICS) chartered within two years. Then apply for a TWP and go from there, or

b) Apply for a BUNAC 12 month visa and work for a Canadian construction business such as PCL or similar.

Achieving the first part of a) would be relatively easy and does get me chartered. However, it seems that not having any 'Canadian experience' would outweigh being a RICS Chartered Quantity Surveyor and deem that year wasted in respect to emmigrating in as smaller timescale as possible?

Alternatively, b) would give me that necessary 'Canadian experience' employers look for, however it may very well be near-impossible for a newly-grad to get employment in the relevant field I am looking for under BUNAC. However, if successful, this option is likely to fast-track my PR very well.

Any advice and opinions appreciated. Unfortunately, most of the threads here seem to be for manual labourers (carpenters, electricians, etc.) in the construction industry as opposed to the commercial and management side. The few I have come across are by members in a completely different age bracket to me and therefore in a different situation to me.

Last edited by EViS; Mar 29th 2008 at 6:37 am.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BUNAC vs UK Construction (QS) Work Experience - Advice?

Originally Posted by EViS
I'm in my very early 20's and will be graduating (hopefully ) as a Quantity Surveyor in just over a years time. Although my life ambition is to start a construction business either as a consultant or contractor, I would like to further gather experience as a Quantity Surveyor (Construction Estimator) or similar.

In order to emmigrate in as little time as possible and begin building my career in Canada, as far as I am aware I have two primary options here, they are:

a) Begin working for a UK construction company and get (RICS) chartered within two years. Then apply for a TWP and go from there, or

b) Apply for a BUNAC 12 month visa and work for a Canadian construction business such as PCL or similar.

Achieving the first part of a) would be relatively easy and does get me chartered. However, it seems that not having any 'Canadian experience' would outweigh being a RICS Chartered Quantity Surveyor and deem that year wasted in respect to emmigrating in as smaller timescale as possible?

Alternatively, b) would give me that necessary 'Canadian experience' employers look for, however it may very well be near-impossible for a newly-grad to get employment in the relevant field I am looking for under BUNAC. However, if successful, this option is likely to fast-track my PR very well.

Any advice and opinions appreciated. Unfortunately, most of the threads here seem to be for manual labourers (carpenters, electricians, etc.) in the construction industry as opposed to the commercial and management side.
Get chartered as if it goes tits up, you can always find work in the UK....it's difficult to come back with experience and find work unchartered as employers in the UK like their bits of paper. Plus you can't really work unsupervised without them, even if you have become senior in the meantime. I worked with a guy this happened too and he was really very bitter.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

EViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: BUNAC vs UK Construction (QS) Work Experience - Advice?

That is something I am very strongly taking into account. However at the same time, if I were to come back, I'd hope to start my own business straight away (from the experience I would already have in the UK & Canada)...