Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BUNAC participation (prior to 2011) now counts as IEC participation?

BUNAC participation (prior to 2011) now counts as IEC participation?

Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Kitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to all
Default BUNAC participation (prior to 2011) now counts as IEC participation?

Hi all,

Is anyone able to confirm that previous participation on a BUNAC working holiday visa prior to 2011 now counts as 1 instance of IEC participation, meaning those who had a BUNAC visa during this time are now only eligible for one more year on an IEC visa? It seems CIC have changed the rules once more as even though they clearly stated on the IEC webpage that previous participation on the BUNAC visas didn't count and those people were eligible for 2 IEC visas, they have now removed this from the FAQ section over the past few days but havn't stated anywhere either that previous participation DOES count.

This has thrown a huge spanner in the works for us as we were relying on having 2 years over there on an IEC visa as we wait for our PR to come through. With only 1 year, it seems a huge risk to go out there as chances are if we cant get sponsored in time, we'll need to move back to the UK, only to move back again months later if our PR eventually comes through. I learnt a while ago not to trust a word CIC says but this is really taking the biscuit now if it's true!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Kitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to all
Default Re: BUNAC participation (prior to 2011) now counts as IEC participation?

I should add that a couple of people who passed the IEC assessment receiving a conditional acceptance letter, have been rejected at the final stage (CIC assessment) due to having previously participated in a BUNAC WHP and one IEC visa. Im hoping (as Im sure those affected are too) that the CIC have made an error here in counting the BUNAC participation prior to the 2011 IEC initiative as one instance of IEC participation. Am clutching at straws here perhaps...
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:18 am
Just Joined

nmca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BUNAC participation (prior to 2011) now counts as IEC participation?

Hi Kitslane,

I am also wondering the same thing, I notice IEC have now confirmed all pre-2011 Bunac visas don't count, but from what I gather CIC are still rejecting applications. I'm not sure if you follow the Facebook group, but a few people have reached out to CIC regarding the decision and as far as I'm aware, have not been able to get a response. Have you been able to find any clarification?

I have applied for my 2nd IEC so will certainly keep you posted on how I get on, there seems to be a few of us in the same boat right now!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there,

I havnt had any clarification yet unfortunately - i found this out via the facebook page too, I see one of the guys has had an email saying he is conditionally accepted from IEC (after receiving a rejection from CIC). It seems to me that the IEC need to contact CIC and communicate with one another! The IEC contact on facebook has confirmed a few times that pre-2011 BUNAC visas dont count...although I dont understand why they have removed any mention of this on the FAQ section on the IEC website (there is no mention on pre-2011 BUNAC visas at all now!).

Ive my fingers crossed for you, really hope you get your visa! Which stage are you at? Have you applied to CIC yet?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

I was wondering what position I would be in regarding this: I received my Letter of Introduction in September 2010, however I actually arrived in Canada and activated my visa on the 8th of January 2011. Not really sure where I stand on this...
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:07 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Seen a few instances on my internet travels of people being told that it counts and the limit is 2 participations.