Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Bunac Non-Student Application Questions!

Bunac Non-Student Application Questions!

Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:36 pm
I'm a Viking!

LucyLocket10 will become famous soon enoughLucyLocket10 will become famous soon enough
Default Bunac Non-Student Application Questions!

Hello all,

My partner and I are currently in the process of filling in our Work Authorisation Applications (for the non-student programme) and have a few questions which we need some advice for!

1) On the first page of the Application for a Work Permit form under the Personal details of family members section, it asks for common law partner details and if they will accompany you to Canada. As my partner is also applying through Bunac on the non-student programme), what do I tick?! Obviously I have to put his details and technically he will be coming with me, but it will be through Bunac on his own form - he was the one who actually asked this question!

2) For Employment on the additional info form, it asks 'you must include all previous jobs, including part time'. I'm a bit confused as to how far they want me to go back, do they literally want details about EVERY job I've had since leaving school at 16?! Or will going back to when I started uni (6 years ago), be sufficicent? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I'm really not sure!...

Thanks in advance for any advice, apologies again if these are obvious questions!
Lucy
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

deeb81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bunac Non-Student Application Questions!

Hi there

1) I think its best to be honest and include him on your form. I dont THINK it would cause any problems but I know there is mention somewhere on the BUNAC site about applicants having no ties (ie spouse, kids) in the UK. I dont know if they would think you're trying to find an easy way into Canada by doing BUNAC together...I'm sure common law couples must have done BUNAC before though!

2) As far as listing previous jobs goes, I just listed all the jobs I've had since the age of 18 (I had quite a few part time jobs when I was a teenager which arent relevant to my career thus far. Going back to what you've done since starting uni would be ok I'm sure. I bet plenty of applicants list no previous employment as the majority of BUNAC participants are students after all.

Hope some of that made sense!

Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:50 pm
I'm a Viking!

LucyLocket10 will become famous soon enoughLucyLocket10 will become famous soon enough

That all makes a lot of sense, thank you for clearing up my queries! It seems obvious with the job thing now, that a lot of the jobs I had before I was 18 don't seem to add anything career wise. I'm not sure if they'd think we were looking for an easy way in via Bunac, we are applying independently but just happen to be common law partners

I've emailed Bunac to ask too, but what you've said is really helpful. We hope to be in Toronto this year too by the way!

Thanks again,
Lucy
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

DearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really nice

Hey,

My partner and I are here on Bunac - you put him on your form and he puts you on his form.

I listed the jobs i had since leaving uni at 21.

Hope that helps,

Emma
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Hi Lucy

My husband and I are also applying for BUNAC applications (on separate applications) so would be great to find out what BUNAC say about the form.

I am surprised there isn't a different form for BUNAC as you can only get a visa for an individual (hence both of us applying) so not sure why you need to put family member info.

Anyway good luck with your application- I have just sent off for my Australia police check (spent a year there after uni) so will be a few weeks before can submit mine to CIC. We are both 29 so hoping we don't have to put down all our jobs since 18 or will be a long list!!

from another Lucy!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucycrow
Hi Lucy

My husband and I are also applying for BUNAC applications (on separate applications) so would be great to find out what BUNAC say about the form.

I am surprised there isn't a different form for BUNAC as you can only get a visa for an individual (hence both of us applying) so not sure why you need to put family member info.

Anyway good luck with your application- I have just sent off for my Australia police check (spent a year there after uni) so will be a few weeks before can submit mine to CIC. We are both 29 so hoping we don't have to put down all our jobs since 18 or will be a long list!!

from another Lucy!
Have you checked with BUNAC re: eligibility for applying as spouses?

From the BUNAC application form:

"Eligibility
All applicants must be:
• Aged 18 – 30 inclusive at the time of visa application
• A British passport holder
• Resident of the UK and in the UK for the duration of the visa
application process
• Without Canadian spouse, fiancé, common-law partner
• Without dependents
• Intending to travel to Canada between February 2009 and 31st
January 2010.
*Dependent is defined as spouse, fiancé, common-law partner, and children.
If this applies to you please contact BUNAC to see if you are still eligible"

All the best,

Adele
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Hi Adele/Lucy

We contacted BUNAC about this and they told us that as long as you both meet the eligibility criteria and you apply for separate BUNAC visas, it
is ok. (Though the BUNAC wording doesn't make that clear).

I think they are just trying to say that you can't apply for a BUNAC visa for justone person in the couple and get one for your spouse.

Hope this helps.

Lucy
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:48 am
I'm a Viking!

Lucy, thanks for that info! It is interesting how they word things isn't it?! I know what you mean about having a separate form for couples, it would make more sense but then that's probably why there isn't one

Good luck for your application too

Lucy