Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BUNAC - Immigration officer worries

BUNAC - Immigration officer worries

Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

axai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BUNAC - Immigration officer worries

Hello All,

I have booked a ticket for me and my Girlfriend (who is a Canadian Citizen) to fly back to Canada on March 31st. We have lived together for less than a year. When i get my BUNAC Visa (hoping!!) we will fly together, now my question is this:

When we approach immigration, should we present ourselves together or should I go separately? The flights lists both of our names on it.
I realize they don't want people coming who have a common-law partner but she is not (yet).

(Our intentions are to apply for spousal sponsorship 6 months in).

Thanks,

Axai
Old Jan 24th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BUNAC - Immigration officer worries

Originally Posted by axai
Hello All,

I have booked a ticket for me and my Girlfriend (who is a Canadian Citizen) to fly back to Canada on March 31st. We have lived together for less than a year. When i get my BUNAC Visa (hoping!!) we will fly together, now my question is this:

When we approach immigration, should we present ourselves together or should I go separately? The flights lists both of our names on it.
I realize they don't want people coming who have a common-law partner but she is not (yet).

(Our intentions are to apply for spousal sponsorship 6 months in).

Thanks,

Axai
The flight may list both your names but friends can book flights together. Just remember...........do not volunteer any information. Just answer all questions to the best of your knowledge. You will have to go to Immigration when you get in. Customes will check your passport and the faxed letter that the Bunac Bufoons sent you and then they'll send you to Immigration with all that paperwork. I think you are better off on your own at immigration because they will ask questions. I mean, you can just say your friends I guess. Better do it alone. Don't tempt fate. Good luck mate. Where you moving too?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

axai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roxye3
The flight may list both your names but friends can book flights together. Just remember...........do not volunteer any information. Just answer all questions to the best of your knowledge. You will have to go to Immigration when you get in. Customes will check your passport and the faxed letter that the Bunac Bufoons sent you and then they'll send you to Immigration with all that paperwork. I think you are better off on your own at immigration because they will ask questions. I mean, you can just say your friends I guess. Better do it alone. Don't tempt fate. Good luck mate. Where you moving too?
Hey, the problem is - if they ask "What is your relation" I am not going to lie to them, I'm used to dealing with immigration but i'm caught between a rock and a hard place now.

I'm moving to Montreal, of all places! And yourself?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

TomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond repute

interested ot know how it goes. am planning on a fairly simler situation.

good luck
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in NS for 16 months. Moved to the US from London on a 2 year visa then moved from Florida to Nova Scotia on the Bunac WHV then got PR through NSNP.

Choice is yours. If you are dating then tell them. But remember.........questions lead to other questions. There is a possibility that if they ask and you tell them they will want to know how long you've been together then they may ask if you plan to seek a spousal visa et al. OR they may not even ask at all. You just never know. I've spent a lot of time dealing with US Immigration for 8 years and now 3 visas with Canadian Immigration. The golden rule is...Don't volunteer any information to them. If they ask then answer.

I think you'll be fine though. As you and your girlfriend do not have any official legal status together you should be alright. Sometimes it is hard to tell which rules belong to the bufoons at bunac and which belong to Canadian Immigration.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by roxye3
I've lived in NS for 16 months. Moved to the US from London on a 2 year visa then moved from Florida to Nova Scotia on the Bunac WHV then got PR through NSNP.

Choice is yours. If you are dating then tell them. But remember.........questions lead to other questions. There is a possibility that if they ask and you tell them they will want to know how long you've been together then they may ask if you plan to seek a spousal visa et al. OR they may not even ask at all. You just never know. I've spent a lot of time dealing with US Immigration for 8 years and now 3 visas with Canadian Immigration. The golden rule is...Don't volunteer any information to them. If they ask then answer.

I think you'll be fine though. As you and your girlfriend do not have any official legal status together you should be alright. Sometimes it is hard to tell which rules belong to the bufoons at bunac and which belong to Canadian Immigration.
Also a quick note....often (but not always) the immigration officers don't even ask to see proof of your flight home.

I didn't have to show mine, or my funds...so you may get lucky but I wouldn't bank on it.

Just don't offer any info unless directly queried on it.