Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BUNAC Health Insurance expiring, but staying in Canada with new Temporary Work Permit

BUNAC Health Insurance expiring, but staying in Canada with new Temporary Work Permit

Old Jan 18th 2011, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

carzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BUNAC Health Insurance expiring, but staying in Canada with new Temporary Work Permit

I am a British citizen currently residing in Vancouver, Canada, on a BUNAC Working Holiday Visa. I am currently insured under the BUNAC Health Insurance Policy. Both the visa and the health insurance will be expiring shortly. I have implied status with a new Temporary Work Permit, which allows me to extend my stay in Canada past the expiration of the visa/health insurance. However, I cannot extend my health insurance through BUNAC, so I need to purchase new insurance.

I would like to purchase health insurance for this period of at least an initial 6 months while I remain in Canada during processing. During this time I will be applying for permanent residency, but I need cover until that is accepted.

Does anyone know of a company that would cover this or can anyone offer me some guidance please! I'm slightly confused as to what insurance companies will cover in this case as I am not in my country of actual permanent residency.

Every time something new pops up during this immigration process I swear it is like being thrown straight back into the deep end after having managed to swim to the top the first time!!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:39 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BUNAC Health Insurance expiring, but staying in Canada with new Temporary Work Pe

As you are in BC I am reasonably sure you are entitled to public health care through BC MSP, certainly once you have a "proper" work permit, and possibly even on the BUNAC work permit.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: BUNAC Health Insurance expiring, but staying in Canada with new Temporary Work Pe

I was in a very similar situation, but in Toronto. I have been on an open work permit since April. If BC is like ON, then all I needed to do was go to Service Canada and show them:
  • Valid work permit
  • A letter confirming my job, which included: Start and end date of employment, and employers name and details
  • Proof of my address, such as a utility bill, driving license etc.
You do need to have a confirmed job for at least the next 6 months however in order to qualify.

The health insurance will begin 3 months after the start date of your employment.

All of the above is true in Ontario, so you may need to doublecheck for BC. Hope that helps