Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BUNAC, foolish antics and permanent residents…

BUNAC, foolish antics and permanent residents…

Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

grumbum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BUNAC, foolish antics and permanent residents…

Hi all, looking for a little bit of advice…

I am currently waiting for the application window to open for the BUNAC 2010 program and am feeling slightly nervous regarding the police check. I recently obtained a copy of the information held on me under the Data Protection Act, 1988 at my local police office. I have only one serious conviction - for a DUI in 2004 where I was given a small fine but a long ban at my lawyers’ request (24 month ban instead of 12, I fear this will definitely be an issue regarding the ‘rehabilitation’ policy?). There are a couple of other small fines which did not result in prosecution - for stupid drunken behaviour (basically a drink fueled big-mouth). I’ve never stood before a judge regarding any of these misdemeanors and I’ve never served any ‘time’, apart from the obligatory night in the cells to sober up.

My father currently resides in BC; he’s been a permanent resident for the past 8 years and is currently awaiting his citizenship application to go before a judge, he is also married to a Canadian citizen. Would their situation have any bearing on my application? Though, I’d prefer it not to come to that - I’d like to do this off my own back (not to mention my foolish antics only being known to me, a few close friends, you good people… and the arresting officers). I’ve visited 3 times previously for several months at a time with no issues at immigration whatsoever, would it potentially be simpler for me to travel again as a visitor when my father gains citizenship and apply for a work permit with him as my sponsor (I'm 26, if this makes any difference)?

Thank you.

Last edited by grumbum; Nov 20th 2009 at 3:14 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice
Default Re: BUNAC, foolish antics and permanent residents…

I wouldn't bother applying until 2011 or 2012.

From the end of the ban for the DUI you need to count 5 years - then you need to apply for rehabilitation.

If any of the other small fines come after this date then you will need to find if they have an equivalence in the Canadian Criminal Code. If they do then you need to count 5 years after the end of the latest of those sentences - and then apply for rehabilitation.

The status of your father is not relevant.