Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

bunac expiring soon, help/advice needed please

bunac expiring soon, help/advice needed please

Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Moody1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bunac expiring soon, help/advice needed please

Hi folks,

I'm currently on a 12 month Bunac work visa, which is about tp expire in Jan and i'm desperate to extend my stay. Unfortunately the 2 jobs i currently do don't fit the criteria for extension.

I was thinking of changing my status to visitors come Jan and then applying for skilled worker via points system, if i do was wondering how long this would take if applying from either Canada or UK?.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: bunac expiring soon, help/advice needed please

Originally Posted by Moody1
Hi folks,

I'm currently on a 12 month Bunac work visa, which is about tp expire in Jan and i'm desperate to extend my stay. Unfortunately the 2 jobs i currently do don't fit the criteria for extension.

I was thinking of changing my status to visitors come Jan and then applying for skilled worker via points system, if i do was wondering how long this would take if applying from either Canada or UK?.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.
Hi Moody,

you will have to expect 12 months of processing time for a regular FSW Cat 3 PR application.

You would not be able to work during that time and in order to receive an extension of your visa as a visitor you would have to show CIC how you are planning to support yourself (financially).

Can you tell us in which province you currently reside? Depending on the province you could apply for a Provincial Nominee Program maybe.

Also you could check out the possibilities to stay as a student. Sometimes this entitles you to working up to 20 hrs a week I believe. But you should look into that further. Especially since tuition fees are quite high I believe.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Moody1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mermaid3011
Hi Moody,

you will have to expect 12 months of processing time for a regular FSW Cat 3 PR application.

You would not be able to work during that time and in order to receive an extension of your visa as a visitor you would have to show CIC how you are planning to support yourself (financially).

Can you tell us in which province you currently reside? Depending on the province you could apply for a Provincial Nominee Program maybe.

Also you could check out the possibilities to stay as a student. Sometimes this entitles you to working up to 20 hrs a week I believe. But you should look into that further. Especially since tuition fees are quite high I believe.
Hi

1.Currently residing in BC

2. Will look into staying as a student, is there any age restrictions? I'm 32 and what about the fees, what d they range from?.

Thanks
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moody1
Hi

1.Currently residing in BC

2. Will look into staying as a student, is there any age restrictions? I'm 32 and what about the fees, what d they range from?.

Thanks
There are no age restrictions for a study permit, you simply need to be accepted on to a full-time course at a recognised institution. Fees will vary massively depending on the course and college/uni, but you need to find out what their international fees are as that is what you'll be paying.

You can't work at all for the first six months and then only part-time (max 20 hours a week) after that, and you'll need to prove you've got funds to support yourself and pay your fees.

Here's the CIC website info on study permits - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp

Hope that helps.