BUNAC Advise

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Ludo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BUNAC Advise

I've currently been accepted onto the Non Student Working Holiday Visa programme.

My plan is too head to Canada for the middle of May and spend the summer and winter in Whistler. However, I'm currently doing a ski season in France where I'm contracted to work till the 5th of May. Therefore, if I send off when back in the uk I'm theoratically not looking at being in Canada before the end of June at the earliest. Having done a fair bit of seasonal work I understand how hard it is to find a job let alone accomadation turning up halfway through the season! Also I'm not sure I could survive being back in England for that long!!

I was planning on sending everything for the application home then having it being sent on by family. Is this still viable option or are they very strict on the implementation of this rule?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

L'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud of
Default Re: BUNAC Advise

Originally Posted by Ludo
I've currently been accepted onto the Non Student Working Holiday Visa programme.

My plan is too head to Canada for the middle of May and spend the summer and winter in Whistler. However, I'm currently doing a ski season in France where I'm contracted to work till the 5th of May. Therefore, if I send off when back in the uk I'm theoratically not looking at being in Canada before the end of June at the earliest. Having done a fair bit of seasonal work I understand how hard it is to find a job let alone accomadation turning up halfway through the season! Also I'm not sure I could survive being back in England for that long!!

I was planning on sending everything for the application home then having it being sent on by family. Is this still viable option or are they very strict on the implementation of this rule?
Hi Ludo,

Bunac states: "You must remain in the UK whilst the Canadian High Commission process your application."
So, if I were you I would send it in once you return to the UK. I went through Bunac and was desperate to travel somewhere for my birthday which happened to be whilst my application was being processed - so, as a compromise, I went to Northern Ireland, as I didn't want to break the rules but was itching to fly somewhere...I didn't want to start things out on the wrong foot....but then I'm the sort of person that doesn't sleep at night over such things.
A month isn't really going to make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't worry too much about being able to find a job or accommodation at that time. I worked at a Ski hill last year - the work force is practically made up of people on 1 year visas and so turns over a lot as people have to leave. As I remember, they were crying out for people last year and there was always a position that needed to be filled....except for the first week or two of the season, and that won't effect you.

Good luck with whatever you decided to do and feel free to shoot any more questions this way.

How's the snow in France?

Cheers.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I know of a fair few people who have been doing ski seasons in Europe whilst applying for BUNAC WP for Canada for the following seasons.

Seeing as there isn't a stamp in your passport how do "they" know that you aren't in the UK (other than checking references), flight information, if you forward your application to someone in the UK to post for you.

I think it would be different if you were in a country where you needed a stamp in your passport, or a visa, espically if you were in Canada.

But then again L'Il Bear is right in what he is saying about breaking the rules. I have no idea how strict they are about implementing it - I imagine they would be very strict if they were able to find out.

How well do you sleep at night?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:38 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Do it - how are they going to know?
Old May 10th 2008, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

DearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really nice

I was wondering how you got on with this. I have been living in NZ for two years and the thought of having to go back to the UK for 6 weeks while my Bunac Canadian visa is processed fills me with dread. I would like to send the documents from NZ about 3 weeks before I arrive back in the UK. That way I am hoping I only have to stay in the UK for a max of 3 weeks until i get my visa. I know they say you have to be in the UK for the full visa process but how would they know?

Does anyone have any experiences of this?
Old May 11th 2008, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Ludo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by live to ski
I know of a fair few people who have been doing ski seasons in Europe whilst applying for BUNAC WP for Canada for the following seasons.

Seeing as there isn't a stamp in your passport how do "they" know that you aren't in the UK (other than checking references), flight information, if you forward your application to someone in the UK to post for you.

I think it would be different if you were in a country where you needed a stamp in your passport, or a visa, espically if you were in Canada.

But then again L'Il Bear is right in what he is saying about breaking the rules. I have no idea how strict they are about implementing it - I imagine they would be very strict if they were able to find out.

How well do you sleep at night?
Thanks for the initial reponses guys.

I ended up sending everything back to the uk and having it sent form there whilst in France. I was successful in getting the visa and fly out to Vancouver on the 5th of June.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up sending everything back to the uk and having it sent form there whilst in France. I was successful in getting the visa and fly out to Vancouver on the 5th of June.
Cool - see you in a few weeks then!

Glacier skiing at Blackcomb starts June 9th
Old May 13th 2008, 1:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L'il Bear
Hi Ludo,

Bunac states: "You must remain in the UK whilst the Canadian High Commission process your application."
I wonder if that means "living" or "physically present".
Old May 14th 2008, 7:48 am
Just Joined

vanman is an unknown quantity at this point

I contacted bunac about being out of the country myself, they told me i couldn't send my application before i went on holiday in feb. I was told to wait until i was back in the uk before sending it. I guess they may require you to attend an interview in some cases.
Old May 14th 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Smyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really nice

how long did it take from sending the forms to getting the visa?