BUNAC

Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:25 am
Banned

sarah_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BUNAC

Hi

I see that a few people have posted threads a bout BUNAC.

I just wanted to know that after you confirm your place with BUNAC, is that when you book your ticket to Canada, when do you know or when is it the right time to book your return ticket to Canada?

Could somebody who has actually been on a BUNAC adventure care to share with me the procedure on WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS?

I'm thinking of doing it this year.

thanks
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BUNAC

Originally Posted by sarah_uk
Hi

I see that a few people have posted threads a bout BUNAC.

I just wanted to know that after you confirm your place with BUNAC, is that when you book your ticket to Canada, when do you know or when is it the right time to book your return ticket to Canada?

Could somebody who has actually been on a BUNAC adventure care to share with me the procedure on WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS?

I'm thinking of doing it this year.

thanks

I have no idea I'm afraid but there are certainly lots of people on here who have been through Bunac that will hopefully be able to help you. But, just a word of warning, all the Bunac visas for this year have already gone - details about next years programme will be available in November I think. Best of luck.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:29 am
Banned

sarah_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I have no idea I'm afraid but there are certainly lots of people on here who have been through Bunac that will hopefully be able to help you. But, just a word of warning, all the Bunac visas for this year have already gone - details about next years programme will be available in November I think. Best of luck.
yes its the non-student one I will be applying for
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah_uk
yes its the non-student one I will be applying for

I gathered that (checked your profile and saw you were an 'IT professional') -hence it's the non-student ones I was referring to, they have all gone.

From the Bunac website:

"The Work Canada non-student programme is now closed for 2008.

Information on the 2009 programme will be available from November.

Work Canada is still open for students."

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:38 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

BUNAC's own website has information about flights. According to that website, you can book your flights through them or independently. They go on to say:
You are advised not to book a flight until you have received written confirmation from BUNAC that the Work Authorisation has been issued. If it is delayed, it could be difficult and costly to change.
If you don't know your exact return date, it's possible to book a return flight with an open return date.
x
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

jhorsfield30 is on a distinguished road

You book your flights either through bunac or independantly after you get the paper back for immigration, they will need to know exact flight details in mind for part of your application paperwork, as you require insurance through bunac for as long as you are going to stay in Canada.
You would be wise to book flights with a company with a low change fee in case your dates change whilst on the working holiday
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:26 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

You can book flights whenever you like, but it's not advisable to do so until you get the work authorization back from Canadian High Commission. From what I recall (from 3 yrs ago) it took about 4-6 weeks from application to getting all the paperwork.

You can book flights either through BUNAC or on your own.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

mizzaaa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Definitely advise making sure you get the thumbs up from Canadian High Commission before doing anything. Once that comes through BUNAC will send you a pack where you have the option to book your flight either with them, or via "cattle class" on FlyZoom or go independently. It also includes the mandatory insurance application form, which is a complete rip off but I guess it's how they keep in business. If you travel independently they'll ask you to send them details of your flight, which is kind of cute that they wanna make sure you're getting there ok. It's also used for liaising with SWAP here in Canada so they know to expect you at orientation and SIN application.

The BUNAC option means you'll pay more for the flight but you'll travel with a whole bunch of other BUNAC-ers which is much more fun - and there's someone to share the taxi to the hostel with once you arrive. Bonus. I did this option and made some life long friends who I then did more travelling with during my time in Canada... Cool times.

Anyway, best of luck to you - let us know how you're doing and if you have any further questions. I arrived here in 2006 and had the time of my life! I then got a job where the company was prepared to offer me a job beyond the 12 months so I've been here since (we had to apply for the whole approval thing from Service Canada which took forever but it came through in the end). It's been worth the wait.

M
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Linzania is on a distinguished road

you mentioned the bunac insurance being a total "rip off"...did you do that from them or find your own? i'm interested in finding a different option but not sure which is best to go for. i do have the details from bunac about alternative policies but it is hard finding an insurance company who will let you go for more than 3 months or so. any help would be appreciated. thanks!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

BMC, british mountaineering council do 12 month out of country insurance. much cheaper than BUNAC
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

I think you confirm your place with BUNAC, you send them your police report and fill out your work auth application plus pay a few of $150 and then after 4 weeks hopefully visa. . You wont get the visa until you show BUNAC your insurance if you did it with a private firm and i think your air ticket and they will release your work auth to you. hence they will keep it till you do so.

ie they will hold it for you but you have it.

good luck