Buffalo TWP in person

Old May 3rd 2010, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about
Default Buffalo TWP in person

Afternoon all!

I wanted to share my experience with everyone regarding applying for a TWP in person in Buffalo.

So to give you some background. I am in Canada on a TWP for one year on a LMO exempt TWP. I got a job offer from another employer and decided I wanted to move thus rendering my old TWP (employer specific) invalid. As my new employer wanted me to start straight away sending the application to vegervill was going to take too long (40 days or more) so I decided to bite the bullet and apply at the Buffalo consulate. I could have technically applied at POE but I didn't fancy this much as the officers can refuse to process your application if they are too busy.

So myself and my girlfriend set off from Toronto this morning at 5:00 am to make it down to Buffalo for 8am you have to be in the consulate by 10am in order to apply for a TWP for issue on the same day. We arrived at the American boarder and a nice agent asked us where we were going today. We explained we where going to the Canadian consulate and he asked us to go into the office to fill out an I95 Visa waver. Job done within 10 minutes we carried on down a further 10 minute or so drive to the 1 HSBC tower in Buffalo home of the Canadian consulate.

We arrived at the tower around 7:30 went up the escalators and found a line of about 15 people in front of us. As the office doesn't open until 8 am you are asked to stand there while a security officer asks you what you are applying for and to see your passport. We where then given a ticket number which allows them to track the processing order of everyone there. By the time 8am came around the line was easily > 30 people. At around 8:15 we where ushered into a lift taking us up to the 30 th floor. We where asked to drop our phones off with the security at the front door and take a seat.

Roughly 10 minutes later our number was called and we where asked to go to a Windows where we gave information as to what we where applying for and handed over all our documentation. It turns out this is the only opportunity you get to discuss your application unless they have questions. We where told to take a seat again. Another 30 minutes passed and I was called to the cashiers window to part with the $300 in cash ($150 for each visa). Now at the POE I understand this as taken as a sign you have got the visa. Here I do not believe this to be the case. Once paid we sat for another 2 hrs 30. Many people came and went while we sat waiting. Groups of people where called to collect whatever they where applying for until finally around 11:30 we where called back to Window 1. We where presented with out 3 year working visa letter and told to return to the Buffalo POE where they would issue the visa into our passports.

We promptly done a jig and got back into the car drove back to Buffalo boarder where the lady in the box was very authoritative she seemed concerned over any duty free. We explained we where looking to get a TWP issued and she asked us to pull the car over and go into the emigration office. Once inside the emigration desk is on the right hand side. We where asked some cursory questions such as what sort of visa we applied for and then our Visa's where issued HUZZA!

Back to Toronto a quick sandwich and back in the apartment by 3:00 round trip time roughly 10 hrs but for 3 years of no WP worries it was well worth it.

For anyone interested the documents we used and brought with us where.
  • Previous job references from past 6 years including details of technologies used.
  • Print out of CIC exclusion from LMO informatiom.
  • Personal reference from 2 Canadians I had worked with.
  • Resume.
  • University Transcripts & MCP cert.
  • Proof of common law (Bank statement for join account, Lease, Common law declaration)

Money : $300 for Visas + $18 US for getting in + $3 CAD to get out. Consulate does not take coins.

I hope this information helps someone.

Tom
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:35 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buffalo TWP in person

Told you!! Glad it all went well, that was roughly the experience we have had twice, no more for us we had PPR a couple of weeks ago.

Clematis
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Ahh lucky you! You were indeed correct Thanks for all the awesome help.

Tom

Originally Posted by Clematis
Told you!! Glad it all went well, that was roughly the experience we have had twice, no more for us we had PPR a couple of weeks ago.

Clematis
Old May 3rd 2010, 2:47 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome, I love it when you can actually help someone....Pass it on!
Old May 4th 2010, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Manek is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations for your smooth sailing and extension!!!
Old May 4th 2010, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm the same BE has given me leads, information and tips on what to look at and pitfalls which has enabled me to carve a place for myself and my family in Canada. It's now my turn to help anyone else out I can who wants to do the same.

Originally Posted by Clematis
Your welcome, I love it when you can actually help someone....Pass it on!
Old May 4th 2010, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Manek! i was surprised at the no interview or anything but in the end I had everything required so it shouldn't have been and wasn't a stress.

Originally Posted by Manek
Congratulations for your smooth sailing and extension!!!
Old May 4th 2010, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

Awww... I am so happy for you guys! Well done!!! And thank you for the report! It's really good to know!

All the best for the both of you!