Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Buffalo Office-Police Clearance Req. Question

Buffalo Office-Police Clearance Req. Question

Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:35 am
LjK
Just Joined

LjK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buffalo Office-Police Clearance Req. Question

Hi everyone,

I will be applying for my PR Visa at Buffalo. Regarding the police certificate requirements they have the following listed on their website:

"A Police Certificate is required from the country where the applicant CURRENTLY lives, along with ALL other countries where the applicant has resided in for 6 months or more since age 18.
The Police Certificate should be issued by a NATIONAL or FEDERAL police agency where possible. Applicants may need to apply at an Embassy/High Commission if they are not currently residing in that country."

What is written above was updated in 2006

In the Visa Office Specific Instructions for Buffalo document (pdf file you can download from their website also, it is essentially a checklist for docs needed for a PR application) the following requirements are listed:

"Original police certificates of good conduct or clearances, from each country/state/territory in which you and everyone in your family aged 18 years or over have lived since reaching the age of 18."

The document quoted above was updated in 2008

My questions are:

1. Do you actually have to provide police certificates from countries in which you lived for around 4 months each since you reached 18?

2. For U.S. police certificates, do you have to provide a certificate for each state you lived in or can you just submit the federal one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

LjK
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:16 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buffalo Office-Police Clearance Req. Question

Hi

Originally Posted by LjK
Hi everyone,

I will be applying for my PR Visa at Buffalo. Regarding the police certificate requirements they have the following listed on their website:

"A Police Certificate is required from the country where the applicant CURRENTLY lives, along with ALL other countries where the applicant has resided in for 6 months or more since age 18.
The Police Certificate should be issued by a NATIONAL or FEDERAL police agency where possible. Applicants may need to apply at an Embassy/High Commission if they are not currently residing in that country."

What is written above was updated in 2006

In the Visa Office Specific Instructions for Buffalo document (pdf file you can download from their website also, it is essentially a checklist for docs needed for a PR application) the following requirements are listed:

"Original police certificates of good conduct or clearances, from each country/state/territory in which you and everyone in your family aged 18 years or over have lived since reaching the age of 18."

The document quoted above was updated in 2008

My questions are:

1. Do you actually have to provide police certificates from countries in which you lived for around 4 months each since you reached 18?

2. For U.S. police certificates, do you have to provide a certificate for each state you lived in or can you just submit the federal one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

LjK
1. Only if you have lived there for 6 months or more.
2. US, FBI plus state clearances.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

You need it for 6 months or more and not less so you safe on 4 month. is 6 months or more since age 18.

For US, I think FBI and state police is what they want. I dont kow about how to go for the US one .

but if you have live in UK. Then get the forms on the met net in Uk called ACPO, new one now. then get the info page of your passport, and 2 proofs of adddress not specifically uk ones plus get a professional to sign your photos like you doing a passport and remember to list the address you last lived at and if less than 5 yrs list your previous.

I am sure you will get more answers to this? good luck
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:20 pm
LjK
Just Joined

LjK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both very much!
I also have a follow up question: how long do you have to have lived in a state within U.S. in order to be obligated to seek that state's clearance?

Thank you again.