Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

From Buffalo to enter Canada--how can I land?

From Buffalo to enter Canada--how can I land?

Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

coffee ice cream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From Buffalo to enter Canada--how can I land?

I am planning to go to Buffalo (from Vancouver) in person to get my passport stamped. If I fly from Vancouver to Toronto and then take greyhound bus to go to Buffalo, how can I land on the way coming back from Buffalo? I mean, do greyhound bus stop for me to go through the landing procedure? Or, I am supposed to get off wherever at the immigration office and then take next bus to go to Toronto? I need to know how long it will take for me to get back to Toronto in total in order to book a flight from Tronto to Vancouver. Or, is there other ways to go to Buffalo and land? What would you recommend? I appreciate your advise.

Thanks.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough
Default Re: From Buffalo to enter Canada--how can I land?

I'm not sure how it will work out with a commercial bus. Why don't you rent a car in Toronto, drive over to Buffalo and land on the way back? It costs around 30-40$ plus gas and you don't pay anyting extra for crossing the border (at least with Avis).

Originally Posted by E37
I am planning to go to Buffalo (from Vancouver) in person to get my passport stamped. If I fly from Vancouver to Toronto and then take greyhound bus to go to Buffalo, how can I land on the way coming back from Buffalo? I mean, do greyhound bus stop for me to go through the landing procedure? Or, I am supposed to get off wherever at the immigration office and then take next bus to go to Toronto? I need to know how long it will take for me to get back to Toronto in total in order to book a flight from Tronto to Vancouver. Or, is there other ways to go to Buffalo and land? What would you recommend? I appreciate your advise.

Thanks.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

tsananez is an unknown quantity at this point

Fly from Vancouver to Buffalo gt your visa stamped and then fly back to Vancouver...
Old Apr 21st 2005, 4:53 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by tsananez
Fly from Vancouver to Buffalo gt your visa stamped and then fly back to Vancouver...
As far as I know there aren't any flights from Buffalo to Vancouver. If he takes the bus, he can be landed, and then catch the next bus north.

PMM
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

As far as I know there aren't any flights from Buffalo to Vancouver. If he takes the bus, he can be landed, and then catch the next bus north.

PMM
There has to be a connection!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:26 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

There has to be a connection!!!
Sure there is Chicago, Minn., Detroit, but it takes forever to get to Vancouver, where as you can get a cheap westjet from Van/Toronto Return.

PMM
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Sure there is Chicago, Minn., Detroit, but it takes forever to get to Vancouver, where as you can get a cheap westjet from Van/Toronto Return.

PMM
Well, then I would go to Pearson airport and rent a car ...I don't know I just hate the idea of having to do the whole process by bus ...anyways that is just me...
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

dimon237 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, then I would go to Pearson airport and rent a car ...I don't know I just hate the idea of having to do the whole process by bus ...anyways that is just me...
Yep I would do that too. The bus costs from what I can recall probably around 40 both ways. You can rent a car for the same money plus maybe another 30 in gas. But you have total freedom. Plus, the buses seem to take forever with all the people going through US immigration office. If I were you, I would rent.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much everybody for your great input. I really appreciate it. Well, I have been searching around and seems like ... yes, renting a car has definitely the greatest advantage in price, time, stress, freedom, etc. So, I have just arranged everything with this plan. Thanks.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:48 am
Account Closed

guest210 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got back from Toronto last night. Last Tuesday I went to the consulate in Buffalo and landed less than 45 minutes later in Fort Erie.

Rent a car. Just make sure that the car you rent can go into the states. I used Alamo, but Dollar, Thrifty, and a few others won't let you do it. Enterprise is cheap, they say you can't do it, but if you tell them you just want to go to Buffalo they will make a note on your rental agreement to that effect (so I have heard).

The landing at Fort Erie was smooth, although the immigration officers are a bit grouchy. When I got to the counter they said something to the effect of "Oh is it 2:30 yet? I guess they will all be showing up from the consulate soon!" They hardly said a word to me while I landed--they just kept asking me if I have been arrested and if I was really going back to Vancouver. But the man at the little booth was very friendly and talked to me about how cool Vancouver is and how he wished he could live there.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much, Inspace. I have read your experience of landing in your previous thread. It was really useful (I printed out to bring with me). I was going to ask my questions in your thread but at that time, I thought of taking a bus to go Buffalo from Toronto so I created a new thread. But it turned out that I am following pretty much what you have done since I have decided to rent a car. Well, I am really lucky that I can ask you few more questions!

So, if you do not mind…. There are some questions that I would like to ask you. Was it easy driving from Toronto airport to Buffalo downtown? I will be staring at the map in the air plane to tattoo it in my brain, but still I am a bit nervous driving highways and streets that I have never driven. Was it busy traffic in Buffalo? And thank you for telling me about going to US with a rental car. I am going to use Enterprise and I have already told them about crossing border but I will remind them again that I am going to US.

And…..let me ask few more… things to bring with me…
Going to Canadian Consulate General, I need to bring passports (myself/principal applicant, husband and son) and pictures (three each). At the immigration (Fort Erie), I need passports (with visa papers?) and proof of funds (bank statements). Since I live in Canada, I do not have the list of goods to follow. Do you think that I am pretty much on the right track?

Thank you again and I really appreciate it.

E37
Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

Driving from YYZ to Buffalo is really easy. First you take 427 south and then after several miles, switch to QEW westbound (Hamilton- Fort Erie). It's pretty much a matter of following the signs. Once you cross the border with the US (which may take some time depending on your nationality) just stay on the right and follow the highway until you see an ugly tall building which is the HSBC Center, then take an exit and immediately turn left. Driving in Buffalo is very easy - very little traffic although some streets are only unidirectional. Be careful on the 427 though, it is very busy and I came closest to an accident I hade ever been (and I have LA driving experience).

In the consulate you need the passport, pictures and the LETTER with the PREQ. Otherwise you're set. Good luck!

Originally Posted by E37
Thank you very much, Inspace. I have read your experience of landing in your previous thread. It was really useful (I printed out to bring with me). I was going to ask my questions in your thread but at that time, I thought of taking a bus to go Buffalo from Toronto so I created a new thread. But it turned out that I am following pretty much what you have done since I have decided to rent a car. Well, I am really lucky that I can ask you few more questions!

So, if you do not mind…. There are some questions that I would like to ask you. Was it easy driving from Toronto airport to Buffalo downtown? I will be staring at the map in the air plane to tattoo it in my brain, but still I am a bit nervous driving highways and streets that I have never driven. Was it busy traffic in Buffalo? And thank you for telling me about going to US with a rental car. I am going to use Enterprise and I have already told them about crossing border but I will remind them again that I am going to US.

And…..let me ask few more… things to bring with me…
Going to Canadian Consulate General, I need to bring passports (myself/principal applicant, husband and son) and pictures (three each). At the immigration (Fort Erie), I need passports (with visa papers?) and proof of funds (bank statements). Since I live in Canada, I do not have the list of goods to follow. Do you think that I am pretty much on the right track?

Thank you again and I really appreciate it.

E37
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks. I am glad to hear that driving from YYZ to Buffalo is not too complicated. Since I am not a LA driver, I will be very careful and take it easy for driving Highway. Oh, thank you for reminding me of bringing the letter of PPREC which is already with my passport, but yes, that is what I need to go in there.

E37
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:36 am
Account Closed

guest210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi E37, yep Bart is right, driving to Buffalo is easy. In fact, Buffalo is virtually a ghost town. There is a parkade right near the HSBC tower where the consulate is and its like $1.50 an hour. If you stay at the youth hostel (which I recommend as it is clean and inexpensive), there is all day meter parking for $2. Yes, I really did say $2 for the day. When you check in, ask the woman who staffs the desk for a copy of the guide to Buffalo on foot. It has a map of all the art deco buildings in the city and some of them are pretty cool.

I brought a copy of everything, although all they want are your pictures, the original passport request, and of course, your passport. Although my landing experience was pretty cut-and-dry, I think its a good idea to have a copy of your application and caips if you have them--just in case they ask you any unexpected questions.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the ride, I considered driving myself. My car is pretty old and I thought that maybe I would drive it into the ground. I've only driven across the continent once and have been thinking about doing it again (this time across Canada).

The cool thing about Ontario is that gas is about 20 cents a litre cheaper. When I left Vancouver exactly a week ago, it was $1.05, and when I got into my rental car and started driving to Buffalo, I noticed it was about 79 cents a litre.

Have fun.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again Inspace and bartM. I am going to print your posts and take them with me! I am very glad to hear that traffic in Buffalo is slow. Now I just learned that I (principal applicant) have to bring the goods to follow list when I land. I thought that my husband can bring the list with him when he lands but I was wrong. Well, well, more things to do… I will update my experience of landing as soon as I am back from Buffalo. See you. E37