Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Buffalo actually called. Surprise.

Wikiposts

Buffalo actually called. Surprise.

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

CanadaHopefully is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buffalo actually called. Surprise.

To my surprise Buffalo called to tell me that they recieved my application for visitor visa and that my immigrant visa was also ready. I asked her if it was possible she just stamp my immigrant visa instead and she said she would call me later that day. Well i spoke to the lady this morning and she told me that she stamped and mailed the visitor visa and i could mail her the passport back to get the immigrant visa. So much for that.

Few questions.

1. If i take the passport to buffalo for stamping of immigrant visa on tuesday or thursday she told me i would get it back the same day. if they dont do that will they give it back the next buisness day or will it be the next tuesday or thursday?

2. do they post date the immigrant visa or is it issued for the same day because buffalo is not far from the border i was hoping to land the same day.

3. if i take the highway from buffalo to toronto do they have specific timmings to land or is it 24 hrs?

4. i was told in this forum that i would not have to show funds if i tell them at the border that i will bring all my goods later, is this correct?

5. What documents besides my passport, immigrant visa will i have to carry when landing if i am not bringing all my stuff on this trip?

I would appreciate any feedback.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:34 am
Just Joined

coffee ice cream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buffalo actually called. Surprise.

I brought my passport in the morning and got it back in the afternoon. I am assuming that that is how they organize unless you show up really late. There are some threads in this forum discussing going to Buffalo in person and what would happen there, so you might want to check that out.
I landed on the same day that I got the visa. At the immigration office (Port Erie), I was asked to show besides my passport and visa paper, a proof of fund (my bank statements) and the goods to follow paper. Many people had a very smooth landing and some of them were not even asked a proof of fund. But they did ask me and I was really glad that I brought with me even though it cost me to get the official bank statements!
Good luck.
E37
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:06 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by CanadaHopefully
To my surprise Buffalo called to tell me that they recieved my application for visitor visa and that my immigrant visa was also ready. I asked her if it was possible she just stamp my immigrant visa instead and she said she would call me later that day. Well i spoke to the lady this morning and she told me that she stamped and mailed the visitor visa and i could mail her the passport back to get the immigrant visa. So much for that.

Few questions.

1. If i take the passport to buffalo for stamping of immigrant visa on tuesday or thursday she told me i would get it back the same day. if they dont do that will they give it back the next buisness day or will it be the next tuesday or thursday?

The next tuesday or thursday if you submit late.

2. do they post date the immigrant visa or is it issued for the same day because buffalo is not far from the border i was hoping to land the same day.

It is not post dated, it is valid for 1 year from the date of the medical or the expiry of the passport, whichever comes first.

3. if i take the highway from buffalo to toronto do they have specific timmings to land or is it 24 hrs?

Major poes, 24/7.

4. i was told in this forum that i would not have to show funds if i tell them at the border that i will bring all my goods later, is this correct?

No. You have to show settlement funds.

5. What documents besides my passport, immigrant visa will i have to carry when landing if i am not bringing all my stuff on this trip?

Goods to follow list, proof of settlement funds, if you have jewllery to follow, you will probably need pictures and valuation. IF you have a car see www.riv.ca.

I would appreciate any feedback.
PMM
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

Any idea what time they open their office to public ... 7 , 8 or 9 AM ?

Originally Posted by E37
I brought my passport in the morning and got it back in the afternoon. I am assuming that that is how they organize unless you show up really late. There are some threads in this forum discussing going to Buffalo in person and what would happen there, so you might want to check that out.
I landed on the same day that I got the visa. At the immigration office (Port Erie), I was asked to show besides my passport and visa paper, a proof of fund (my bank statements) and the goods to follow paper. Many people had a very smooth landing and some of them were not even asked a proof of fund. But they did ask me and I was really glad that I brought with me even though it cost me to get the official bank statements!
Good luck.
E37
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

ChicagoJer is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't realize that Buffalo made phone calls re: PR visas?
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:29 am
Just Joined

coffee ice cream is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by orazone
Any idea what time they open their office to public ... 7 , 8 or 9 AM ?
I read somewhere in this forum about the time... It was not too long ago (in May, probably...). Someone said that they went to too early and they had to wait in a coffee shop in the building... Anyway, please check that thread. I visited about 8:40. There were already about 20 to 30 people before me. I was told to come back 1:30 and I went back around 1:00. I got my passport back probably before 2:00 (sorry I do not remember precise time).

E37