Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BTEC Pearson Level 5 Professional Diploma help needed

BTEC Pearson Level 5 Professional Diploma help needed

Old Nov 25th 2018, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

AyubAlam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BTEC Pearson Level 5 Professional Diploma help needed

Hi Friends

I am planning to do a BTEC Pearson Level 5 Professional Diploma in Strategic Management. Can anyone tell whether this course will be acceptable by CES/IQAS/ICES or ICAS? & is there any chance for me to get post graduate level one year equivalence for it or not? I have seen WES grading another Level 5 professional diploma as one semester so I guess WES is definitely not evaluating it positively.

Can anyone pls let me know? I am in a very big dilemma here about whether I should pay for such an expensive course like this. Pls help me experts & suggest me whether this is a good choice or not as I dont have a plan B right now
Old Nov 25th 2018, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

philip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BTEC Pearson Level 5 Professional Diploma help needed

Had an issue with getting my qualifications evaluated, basically, from what I can tell, none of the will evaluate anything other than academic courses, not professional or trade. WES wouldn't evaluate my IHCD (now Edexcel/Pearson) Paramedic qualification despite it being equivalent to a BTEC level 4 or 5. I emailed ICES/BCIT and they said they were unlikely to evaluate it too.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by philip.arkwright
Had an issue with getting my qualifications evaluated, basically, from what I can tell, none of the will evaluate anything other than academic courses, not professional or trade. WES wouldn't evaluate my IHCD (now Edexcel/Pearson) Paramedic qualification despite it being equivalent to a BTEC level 4 or 5. I emailed ICES/BCIT and they said they were unlikely to evaluate it too.
Is your course under Pearsons/Edexcels Btec qualification? If not then I guess the evaluators wont consider evaluating it and will consider it as professional vocational training or qualification.

Now, coming towards Btec, the qualification is itself not related to university level studies as it is rather a work related professional qualification that helps one in his career and the qualification is recognized by all Canadian evaluators. So, basically you cannot compare any professional or vocational oriented training with BTEC professional diploma. If WES assess it then others will also asses these BTEC diplomas. But my worry is that WES is evaluating it sometimes as one semester which is not of any use for immigration so maybe someone who got BTEC professional Diploma can shed some light on it.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 8:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AyubAlam
Now, coming towards Btec, the qualification is itself not related to university level studies as it is rather a work related professional qualification that helps one in his career and the qualification is recognized by all Canadian evaluators.
If it's a 'work related professional qualification', then it won't count for points purposes, only academic qualifications do. But all you can do is apply for the ECA and see what you get back - it would be helpful if you could update the forum once you know, so that others searching in the future may benefit from the info.

Thx.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If it's a 'work related professional qualification', then it won't count for points purposes, only academic qualifications do. But all you can do is apply for the ECA and see what you get back - it would be helpful if you could update the forum once you know, so that others searching in the future may benefit from the info.

Thx.
BTEC Level 5 Professional Diploma is this course equivalent to one year Post Secondary Certificate by any of the Assessors? As you are a moderator, maybe you have seen such cases? thanks
Old Nov 26th 2018, 8:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

BTEC Level 5 Professional Diploma is this course equivalent to one year Post Secondary Certificate by any of the Assessors? As you are a moderator, maybe you have seen such cases? thanks
It depends on the subject, not just the level of course. But yes, I've seen Level 5 BTEC's assessed as a one year diploma, if you do a forum search you'll see it too!

Good luck.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 9:02 am
Just Joined

It depends on the subject, not just the level of course. But yes, I've seen Level 5 BTEC's assessed as a one year diploma, if you do a forum search you'll see it too!

Good luck.
Hi @christmasoompa

The subject is "Pearson BTEC Level 5 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership" Do you think I have a very good chance to get a one year too with this Professional Diploma Course?
Old Nov 26th 2018, 10:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi @christmasoompa

The subject is "Pearson BTEC Level 5 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership" Do you think I have a very good chance to get a one year too with this Professional Diploma Course?
I'm afraid I don't think any of us can tell you, we'd only be guessing. Just apply and then you'll know, that's all you can do.

How vital are those points, what are you scoring on the CRS without a one year diploma?
Old Nov 26th 2018, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

I'm afraid I don't think any of us can tell you, we'd only be guessing. Just apply and then you'll know, that's all you can do.

How vital are those points, what are you scoring on the CRS without a one year diploma?
I am on 435 since last one year and I feel this is my last and only chance to increase enough points to get an ITA. I dont know what is going to happen but lets hope it will come positive somehow cause if not my Canadian journey is over
Old Nov 26th 2018, 1:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I am on 435 since last one year and I feel this is my last and only chance to increase enough points to get an ITA. I dont know what is going to happen but lets hope it will come positive somehow cause if not my Canadian journey is over
Ah, ok, so those points would be rather useful! Definitely worth getting an ECA then, do let us know what result you get.

When do you lose points due to age, do you have a while before your points drop?

You never know, you're close to the ITA level for the past year, so it's possible they'll drop, keep your fingers crossed.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 10:58 am
Just Joined

tojued is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi AyubAlam, where you still able to complete this course and get it evaluated?