Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help wanted in understanding a comparison to Canadian education (Skilled Trades)

Help wanted in understanding a comparison to Canadian education (Skilled Trades)

Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

cprfenom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help wanted in understanding a comparison to Canadian education (Skilled Trades)

I have been speaking to my friends in Canada to establish if I have a shot at getting PR through the skilled trade and I am going to speak to I believe to be Newfoundland and Labrador Apprenticeship and Trades Certification Division in order to get my skills recognized in order to challenge the exam?

The part I am stuck with is that I am being asked what Diplomas I have, but I am unsure how to answer that. I have some NVQs, but most are City and Guild Level 2 and 3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chris
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help wanted in understanding a comparison to Canadian education.

Originally Posted by cprfenom
I have been speaking to my friends in Canada to establish if I have a shot at getting PR through the skilled trade and I am going to speak to I believe to be Newfoundland and Labrador Apprenticeship and Trades Certification Division in order to get my skills recognized in order to challenge the exam?

The part I am stuck with is that I am being asked what Diplomas I have, but I am unsure how to answer that. I have some NVQs, but most are City and Guild Level 2 and 3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chris
Who is asking for diplomas? Foreign qualifications count for nothing in the trades, hours of work do.
In order to get trade qualification in a province and challenge the exams one needs to prove the number of hours work experience in the trade and if accepted prepare for and sit the exam.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Aviator,

I have friends in the province and they were asking me what qualifications I had, but they were saying diplomas. I guess they were trying to understand what skills I had.

Am I right in saying that as long as I challenge the exam and pass the qualifications I have in the UK are in effect meaningless? Does the information I put above sound right for who I have to speak to?
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cprfenom
Am I right in saying that as long as I challenge the exam and pass the qualifications I have in the UK are in effect meaningless? Does the information I put above sound right for who I have to speak to?
Correct.
Old Nov 16th 2018, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Help wanted in understanding a comparison to Canadian education (Skilled Tra

Hi Aviator,

I spoke to the Department of Advanced Education, Skills & Labour.

They said the following:

"In order for you to have your skills recognized we need you working in Newfoundland, registered in our province. Construction Electrician is a compulsory trade in Newfoundland and any hours worked previously cannot be credited."

What level electrician would I be going in as if I sit the exam?

Kind regards,
Old Nov 16th 2018, 6:46 pm

Default Re: Help wanted in understanding a comparison to Canadian education (Skilled Tra

https://www.aesl.gov.nl.ca/app/pdf/faq.pdf

They call it a Trade Qualifier I believe.
Old Nov 16th 2018, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Thank you again Aviator.

Your input is always insightful
Old Nov 16th 2018, 7:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.aesl.gov.nl.ca/app/tradequalifier.html

A Trade Qualifier is a person who meets the jurisdictional requirements to write the certification examination. Requirements include:
  • on-the-job work experience of at least one and a half (1.5) times of an apprenticeship term for a designated trade; and
  • documentation of work skills that have been verified by a certified journeyperson in the trade. Documentation must also include verification of time and hours.
Steps to apply as a Trade Qualifier in Newfoundland and Labrador
  1. Applicants complete the Trade Qualifier Application (283 KB) and the Record of Work Experience form. A non-refundable fee of $50.00 is payable prior to the submission of the documents. Payment instructions are on the application.
  2. If employer verification of hours worked and/or journeyperson verification of skills is not possible, contact an Apprenticeship Program Officer (APO) of the Apprenticeship and Trades Certification Division (ATCD) for further information.
  3. The completed application and required documents are submitted to the ATCD where a review of the documentation will be conducted. After the review, Recognition of Prior Learning may be recommended.
  4. Approved Trade Qualifiers will be contacted by the ATCD to discuss dates and applicable fees.
  5. If unsuccessful, an assessment of the exam results may be conducted to determine areas where further study or experience is needed.