Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Reply

Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:09 am
  #16  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 998
Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by acrylicus View Post
OK so I only have 64 points on FSW... I was not aware of these "subclasses"...

I left Canada June 2015, after working there for 24 months since 2013. If I were to apply before CEC June this year, would that count? Or have I missed the boat on that?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nce-class.html

"To qualify for the CEC through Express Entry, you must have:

at least 12 months of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last three years (before you apply)."

So if you apply today (Jan 3rd 2018 in the UK), you will need to have done at least 12 months skilled work in Canada after Jan 3rd 2015 in order to qualify for CEC.
Vulcanoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:23 am
  #17  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 225
acrylicus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid View Post
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nce-class.html

"To qualify for the CEC through Express Entry, you must have:

at least 12 months of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last three years (before you apply)."

So if you apply today (Jan 3rd 2018 in the UK), you will need to have done at least 12 months skilled work in Canada after Jan 3rd 2015 in order to qualify for CEC.
Thanks Vulcanoid.

I guess I need to get some additional FSW points while I am at it... I have 66 points after looking again. That is a real ball ache!
acrylicus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:28 am
  #18  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 225
acrylicus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by acrylicus View Post
Thanks Vulcanoid.

I guess I need to get some additional FSW points while I am at it... I have 66 points after looking again. That is a real ball ache!

Woah hold on - scratch that.


https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

Language skills (I am british): 24
Education (1 yr post-secondary): 15
Experience (5 years): 15
Age (24): 12
Arranged employment: 0
Adaptability (1 year past work in Canada): 10

The 1 year past work in Canada does not specify a time frame, but people online seem to think its 10 years.

Does this mean I have enough points?
acrylicus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:51 am
  #19  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 26,124
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by acrylicus View Post
Woah hold on - scratch that.


https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

Language skills (I am british): 24
Education (1 yr post-secondary): 15
Experience (5 years): 15
Age (24): 12
Arranged employment: 0
Adaptability (1 year past work in Canada): 10

The 1 year past work in Canada does not specify a time frame, but people online seem to think its 10 years.

Does this mean I have enough points?
Yes, but only if your BTEC is accepted. Forgive me for being a bit blunt, but I think you really need to focus if your aim is to get back to Canada.

You've been trying for years but didn't realise that you could have applied under CEC and could be there with PR by now? Or that there is a minimum points score for FSW? I think you need to go back to basics, research it all and actually commit to going - that means spending money on your IELTS, and your ECA so that you know your points score for sure and can move forward.

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:59 am
  #20  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 225
acrylicus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Yes, but only if your BTEC is accepted. Forgive me for being a bit blunt, but I think you really need to focus if your aim is to get back to Canada.

You've been trying for years but didn't realise that you could have applied under CEC and could be there with PR by now? Or that there is a minimum points score for FSW? I think you need to go back to basics, research it all and actually commit to going - that means spending money on your IELTS, and your ECA so that you know your points score for sure and can move forward.

Good luck.
CEC still requires the ~410+ CRS points right? Which is why I never pursued it (except when I did, before EE).

I don't disagree, I decided that my new years resolution this year is to make 2018 my last year in the UK - so the real effort starts now. If the BTEC isn't enough, I plan on doing a 1yr course at the open university which should tide me through. FSW seems to be the way to go now, I just need the boost from education.

Thanks for all your help throughout the years, and keep an eye out for my "I finally did it" message
acrylicus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:07 am
  #21  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 26,124
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by acrylicus View Post
CEC still requires the ~410+ CRS points right? Which is why I never pursued it (except when I did, before EE).
Yes. When did you apply under CEC and why wasn't it successful?

Originally Posted by acrylicus View Post
I don't disagree, I decided that my new years resolution this year is to make 2018 my last year in the UK - so the real effort starts now. If the BTEC isn't enough, I plan on doing a 1yr course at the open university which should tide me through. FSW seems to be the way to go now, I just need the boost from education.
FSW also still requires the 410+ CRS points though, so if you weren't eligible for CEC due to that, are you sure FSW is an option? Any EE route (FST, FST, CEC, PNP) requires those points, they're all selected on the basis of the CRS.

I would get your ECA first if so though, you might find the BTEC is enough. No point in doing another course if it's not needed. Remember that your ECA is valid for 5 years, so it won't be wasted money.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 3rd 2018 at 9:13 am. Reason: Never mind, spotted your CRS score above!
christmasoompa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:12 am
  #22  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 225
acrylicus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

I am doing the ECA, I've emailed WES and CES in advance, if I don't get a meaningful answer by then I am going to try an ECA with WES. Failing that I will apply for the course. My current CRS score is 389, it goes up to 489 or thereabouts with 1 year post-secondary.

I applied for CEC late 2014, my application arrived in Sydney NS the exact day they stopped doing CEC, so my application was never processed.
acrylicus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:15 am
  #23  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,092
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post

I would get your ECA first if so though, you might find the BTEC is enough. No point in doing another course if it's not needed. Remember that your ECA is valid for 5 years, so it won't be wasted money.
Ditto to this. I submitted my ECA last year based on the qualifications that my university awarded to me and it turned out that I had the equivalent a 4 year Bachelors and a 2 year Associates degree in Canada and both were eligible for CRS. You never know until you try.

EDIT: I doubt you'll get any advance assurances from WES or CES. They will likely just request that you submit your documents with an application. That's where the money is for them after all and the Canadian education system is all about raking in the dough.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:20 am
  #24  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 26,124
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

I doubt you'll get a meaningful answer about an ECA tbh, the only way to know for sure is to apply but if you do that, at least then you can calculate yoru points accurately instead of guessing and will know for sure if you need to get them up or not.

Originally Posted by acrylicus View Post
My current CRS score is 389, it goes up to 489 or thereabouts with 1 year post-secondary.
If you're single, you'd get another 68 points for a year's post secondary education. So still borderline but hopefully ok.

Originally Posted by acrylicus View Post
I applied for CEC late 2014, my application arrived in Sydney NS the exact day they stopped doing CEC, so my application was never processed.
They've never 'stopped doing CEC'? Do you mean you applied after the cap for the year was filled? I assume you didn't try again in 2015 under the new year's cap?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 3rd 2018 at 10:26 am. Reason: Doh, was looking at the points for those with a partner!
christmasoompa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:36 am
  #25  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 225
acrylicus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
I doubt you'll get a meaningful answer about an ECA tbh, the only way to know for sure is to apply but if you do that, at least then you can calculate yoru points accurately instead of guessing and will know for sure if you need to get them up or not.



If you're single, you'd get another 56 points for a year's post secondary education. So 445, still borderline but hopefully ok.



They've never 'stopped doing CEC'? Do you mean you applied after the cap for the year was filled? I assume you didn't try again in 2015 under the new year's cap?
Sorry what I meant was, CEC was rolled into EE and I didn't have enough points for it (or so I thought).

The calculator on CICs website gave me 100 points for 1yr post secondary. Either way, as long as I meet the criteria, I am happy
acrylicus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:36 am
  #26  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 225
acrylicus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Ditto to this. I submitted my ECA last year based on the qualifications that my university awarded to me and it turned out that I had the equivalent a 4 year Bachelors and a 2 year Associates degree in Canada and both were eligible for CRS. You never know until you try.

EDIT: I doubt you'll get any advance assurances from WES or CES. They will likely just request that you submit your documents with an application. That's where the money is for them after all and the Canadian education system is all about raking in the dough.
Wow, out of interest what qualifications did you submit?
acrylicus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:54 am
  #27  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,092
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by acrylicus View Post
Wow, out of interest what qualifications did you submit?
My degree and the CertHE they gave to me after I completed my first 120 credits.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:33 am
  #28  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 26,124
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by acrylicus View Post
The calculator on CICs website gave me 100 points for 1yr post secondary. Either way, as long as I meet the criteria, I am happy
Hmmmm. I've just done a rough tot up of points and I'm not seeing how you'd score enough on the CRS even with a year's post-secondary education.

Just checking, but you didn't work 2 full years in Canada I assume if you were on the IEC? So I've given you points for 1 year's work there, is that right?
christmasoompa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 12:37 pm
  #29  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 225
acrylicus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Hmmmm. I've just done a rough tot up of points and I'm not seeing how you'd score enough on the CRS even with a year's post-secondary education.

Just checking, but you didn't work 2 full years in Canada I assume if you were on the IEC? So I've given you points for 1 year's work there, is that right?
I did 2x IEC's and worked from the day of activation to the day of leaving. I just did the calculator again found here:

Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

and came up with the following:

Core/Human capital factors

Age = 110
Level of education = 90
Study in Canada = undefined
Official Languages = 136
First Official Language = 136
Second Official Language = 0
Canadian work experience = 53
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 389

Spouse factors

Level of education = 0
First Official Languages = 0
Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 0

Skill transferability factors

Education

A) Official Language proficiency and education = 25
B) Canadian work experience and education = 25
Subtotal = 50

Foreign work experience

A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 50
B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 50
Subtotal = 50

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 100

Comprehensive Ranking System formula

Subtotal Core/Human capital + Spouse factors + Skill transferability = 489

Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 0

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 0

French-language skills = 0

Subtotal Additional points = 0

Grand total = 489
I also did it for 1 years experience in Canada, just in case and it came out as 464 points.
acrylicus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 12:40 pm
  #30  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,092
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by acrylicus View Post
I did 2x IEC's and worked from the day of activation to the day of leaving. I just did the calculator again found here:

Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

and came up with the following:



I also did it for 1 years experience in Canada, just in case and it came out as 464 points.
If you can prove 2 years of qualifying work experience, especially beyond all reasonable doubt, then claim for 2 years.

My own work experience was there was more complicated than most and had to be backed up by a lot of paperwork but the CIC still accepted it.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement