BTEC Level 3 - ECA - Pls help

Old Oct 10th 2017, 3:30 am
Just Joined

hishamx87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BTEC Level 3 - ECA - Pls help

Hi,

Can anyone please advise whether I can claim points for two or more degree or diplomas if I have a btec level 3 and bachelors in business administration?

ECA for Bachelors is already in place from IQAS stating it equivalen to 4 years bachelors degree but I haven't yet applied for the BTEC level 3 (planning to send them to CES) as I am not sure if its worth a shot.

If anyone has gone through the same experience and was successful in getting the application through their advise will be really helpful

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 10th 2017, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Ashley_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 - ECA - Pls help

When I did this step, I asked my immigration lawyer if it was worth getting anything other than my degree translated, they replied with I only needed my highest level of education.

...afaik this is because with BTEC's etc it is assumed you would have them in order to get onto a degree course.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ashley_03
When I did this step, I asked my immigration lawyer if it was worth getting anything other than my degree translated, they replied with I only needed my highest level of education.

...afaik this is because with BTEC's etc it is assumed you would have them in order to get onto a degree course.
I was told by some people that by getting BTEC evaluated separately I can get additional points on top of my bachelors degree by choosing two or more degree option.

Now i am confused if that's possible or not.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

DaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I am awaiting on the outcome of my application due to medical complications. I put two-or more and I had a two years hnd and a one year top up degree....i was told if the Eca summary says both that's what u enter.. And my app hasn't been rejected so far. I will update u further on the outcome of my app
Old Oct 10th 2017, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hishamx87
I was told by some people that by getting BTEC evaluated separately I can get additional points on top of my bachelors degree by choosing two or more degree option.

Now i am confused if that's possible or not.
There have been cases of both people being told by the ECA evaluator that it is and that it isn't.

Ultimately it is for the federal authority (sorry forget name) to determine whether it does or doesn't.

My own feeling has always been, and still is, that the idea of giving additional points for 2 certificates or diplomas is to reward people who have done an extra qualification after their bachelors i.e. PGCE etc. I feel that if you did your BTEC to get the qualification to go to University then why would that warrant more points than someone who went the more conventional route of A-levels. Both have the same degree level of education.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DaleBoy
I am awaiting on the outcome of my application due to medical complications. I put two-or more and I had a two years hnd and a one year top up degree....i was told if the Eca summary says both that's what u enter.. And my app hasn't been rejected so far. I will update u further on the outcome of my app
It will get through as yours is HND. Mine is OND
Old Oct 10th 2017, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
There have been cases of both people being told by the ECA evaluator that it is and that it isn't.

Ultimately it is for the federal authority (sorry forget name) to determine whether it does or doesn't.

My own feeling has always been, and still is, that the idea of giving additional points for 2 certificates or diplomas is to reward people who have done an extra qualification after their bachelors i.e. PGCE etc. I feel that if you did your BTEC to get the qualification to go to University then why would that warrant more points than someone who went the more conventional route of A-levels. Both have the same degree level of education.
You are correct and this is what I think as well. But by reading some threads where people have claimed additional points through this channel makes me feel confused as my current CRS score is low due to bachelors degree points only.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 7:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct and this is what I think as well. But by reading some threads where people have claimed additional points through this channel makes me feel confused as my current CRS score is low due to bachelors degree points only.
It generally depends on the nature of the qualification - only academic ones count, so if yours was professional or vocational, then you are very unlikely to get any points for it.

But if you do need the extra points (what are you currently scoring?), then you may as well give it a go.

Good luck.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

I have a BTEC level 3 in Mechanical Engineering. Any idea, if its vocational or professional?

My current CRS score is 418. I have maxed out IELTS CLB 9, i am 29 years old, married, bachelors degree ECA of 4 years equivalency. 8 years banking experience.

I am looking for ways to boost my score.

There was a discussion on the similar topic (link given below) where the OP was able to claim points for 2 or more degrees but I am not sure if his application was approved / accepted.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...uation-891200/

Last edited by hishamx87; Oct 10th 2017 at 8:25 pm. Reason: additional information
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

418 really isn't a bad score and as you are close I would give it a shot and send to an ECA to evaluate both together. Worst case ministry don't accept it and you are where you are now.

Have you thought about finding a potential employer who would do an LMIA for you? They can do one free of charge (I think) if the intention is to support an applicant in obtaining PR. Alternatively do you qualify for any of the PNP programs?
Old Oct 11th 2017, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

I was hoping to.apply for OINP HCP stream but got late and they paused the program.

Is it mandatory to apply ECA for both educations together? I already have an ECA for my last qualification which is given as equivalent to Bachelors.i need to be sure before applying an ECA for my BTEC qualification as I don't want to end up reject.

How can I get LMIA?
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

I was hoping to.apply for OINP HCP stream but got late and they paused the program.

Is it mandatory to apply ECA for both educations together? I already have an ECA for my last qualification which is given as equivalent to Bachelors.i need to be sure before applying an ECA for my BTEC qualification as I don't want to end up reject.

How can I get LMIA?
You would need to ask the company who did your original ECA whether they can just assess the second one and add it to the existing ECA. My guess is they will need both again and issue a new ECA.

I'm afraid you wont be sure of the answer till you get the ECA done and again till it has been assessed by the immigration department. You may just have to take the chance.

Only a company can get an LMIA, you cant personally. You would need to find a Canadian employer willing to hire you and guarantee you a job based on approval of your PR. They need to advertise for a minimum period of time and prove that they cannot find any Canadians or current permanent residents who are able or willing to do the job they want to offer you. It is very hard to get one unless you have unusual/unique skills or experiences. If you can get one though you would gain extra points for having a valid job offer.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
You would need to ask the company who did your original ECA whether they can just assess the second one and add it to the existing ECA. My guess is they will need both again and issue a new ECA.

I'm afraid you wont be sure of the answer till you get the ECA done and again till it has been assessed by the immigration department. You may just have to take the chance.

Only a company can get an LMIA, you cant personally. You would need to find a Canadian employer willing to hire you and guarantee you a job based on approval of your PR. They need to advertise for a minimum period of time and prove that they cannot find any Canadians or current permanent residents who are able or willing to do the job they want to offer you. It is very hard to get one unless you have unusual/unique skills or experiences. If you can get one though you would gain extra points for having a valid job offer.
Thanks for the information. I will contact IQAS and see if they can add a qualification.