BSF186 Personal Effects form

Old May 28th 2016, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

KetanP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BSF186 Personal Effects form

Hi all

I'm doing a short landing next week to Toronto Pearson (eeeek) and I've been told even if I am doing a short landing I need to complete the BSF186 Personal Effects form.

As it is a short landing I am not actually moving any goods over, so I was going to list items that I will have with me oh this short trip (e.g. Clothes, Laptop etc) & list items to follow (when I do actually move).

Looking at the form it's asking for details such as Importer's name, Cargo control number etc.

However, I am not shipping any goods over (at this stage) so how do I complete this form?

Can someone please provide some info into how I should best approach this form given my circumstances?

Thank you
Ketan
Old May 28th 2016, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSF186 Personal Effects form

Just tell CBSA you are doing the landing but not establishing a residence therefore the B4 or BSF186 whatever they call it now is NOT required.

Variation Between Customs/Immigration Legislation
9. A person's status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.
Old May 30th 2016, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Just tell CBSA you are doing the landing but not establishing a residence therefore the B4 or BSF186 whatever they call it now is NOT required.

Variation Between Customs/Immigration Legislation
9. A person's status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.
Thanks - very useful to know this. I asked CIIP and they said I would need to complete the form. I do however get the impression that they assume everyone is moving permanently and they give you advice based on that rather than your own personal situation.
Old May 31st 2016, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

I'm a little confused. Reading this page: Before you arrive: Prepare to move - Crossing the border: documents you need

When mentioning the goods bringing with you, it says:
Present this list to the border services officer on your first point of arrival in Canada, even if you are not bringing in any goods at that time.

The last part saying suggesting to complete this form "even if you are not brining any goods at that time"

So now I'm confused what to do as from your point & extract above I can understand why I don't need a list of goods if not settling but this on the CIC website suggests I do?
Old May 31st 2016, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are over worrying about this.

I landed about 5 years ago, knowing nothing about goods to follow etc. at that time and presented no forms to CBSA.

When I finally moved a few months later, THEN I shipped stuff and presented my form (B4) when I flew in (goods arrived by ship/rail later).

If it makes you feel any better, my husband, who emigrated before me (in 2010) took no goods or forms at that time. When we finally sold our UK house in 2015 (yes, five years later), we shipped more boxes and presented the form when we flew back to Canada in my husband's name. The officer was fine about it, wrote the details of his 2010 landing on the form and stamped it all off. The form we used each time was the B4.

If you bring goods later (or more after you've brought an initial shipment), it's always at the discretion of the officer (that's what CBSA told me). As long as you're not bringing a lot of new stuff in, it should all be fine. CBSA told us to price as if it were sold in a garage sale. We researched all this by calling/going to see CBSA before we shipped the second lot (which wasn't much: 5 boxes). When I shipped the first lot, the shipping company (Anglo Pacific) sorted out the forms (and actually they did the second time too). It never occurred to me there would be an issue the first time and there wasn't.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; May 31st 2016 at 10:12 pm.
Old May 31st 2016, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KetanP
I'm a little confused. Reading this page: Before you arrive: Prepare to move - Crossing the border: documents you need

When mentioning the goods bringing with you, it says:
Present this list to the border services officer on your first point of arrival in Canada, even if you are not bringing in any goods at that time.

The last part saying suggesting to complete this form "even if you are not brining any goods at that time"

So now I'm confused what to do as from your point & extract above I can understand why I don't need a list of goods if not settling but this on the CIC website suggests I do?
The B4/BSF 168 form is only to be used for Former Residents, Beneficiaries, Seasonal Residents and Settlers (new immigrants 9807.00.00). If you are not establishing a residence then you cannot be treated as a Settler as per my previous post therefore this form is not applicable.
How could a person know what goods they would be bringing if they still owned their house and would not be moving to Canada for another 2 years?
Don't overthink this.

If in doubt print this out

D2-2-1 Memorandum - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00
Old May 31st 2016, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we (FL and me) are saying the same thing. The B4 gets presented when you actually ship the stuff (you fly in separately from the stuff) and you tick the box that you are settling for the first time for an excess of 12 months or similar (bottom right hand box). You present the forms for stamping when you get off the plane.

As FL points out, I had no idea what I/we would be bringing 8 months later and then those last items when we sold the house (which we've never even looked at BTW!).

S