British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Brother wants to apply for IEC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/brother-wants-apply-iec-945161/)

crofty82 Aug 18th 2022 3:57 pm

Brother wants to apply for IEC

I live in Canada with PR and my brother back in England wants to try working out here for a year or two. I emigrated under a different stream so never went through that particular application; but I understand the following is correct, I'd be grateful if someone could correct/update me if needed:
g
  • There's a limited number of IEC places and rounds of applications are opened up at different times throughout the year, or not opened at all depending on circumstances (Covid etc.)
  • You have to be 30 or under to apply (35 if holding Irish citizenship)
  • IEC is valid for two years and if he decides he wants to stay permanently, he can apply for a BOWP while his PR app is processed
  • If he completes one year of skilled work experience in Canada it will give him 50 extra points for a PR app, and he can then apply under the CEC
  • Points thresholds for CEC rounds of invitations are generally lower than for the FSW stream
  • CEC applicants don't require proof of funds

Is anything above incorrect/out of date, and are there any other big ticket items I should make him aware of before he looks more seriously into it?

christmasoompa Aug 18th 2022 4:21 pm

Re: Brother wants to apply for IEC

All sounds good to me. The only thing I would say is that he won’t automatically be eligible for PR after working in Canada, that’s not a given, and that the EE program is changing next year with ‘targeted’ draws. Nobody yet knows what the criteria will be, it may be a list of eligible occupations like it used to be, or something else (or a mix). So although you’re spot on now, that may not be the case next year.

HTH.

crofty82 Aug 18th 2022 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13135461)
All sounds good to me. The only thing I would say is that he won’t automatically be eligible for PR after working in Canada, that’s not a given, and that the EE program is changing next year with ‘targeted’ draws. Nobody yet knows what the criteria will be, it may be a list of eligible occupations like it used to be, or something else (or a mix). So although you’re spot on now, that may not be the case next year.

HTH.

Thanks so much!

Snowy560 Aug 20th 2022 11:49 pm

18-30 inclusive if you're a UK citizen so under 31.

christmasoompa Aug 22nd 2022 10:28 am

Originally Posted by crofty82 (Post 13135454)
You have to be 30 or under to apply (35 if holding Irish citizenship)

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 13135914)
18-30 inclusive if you're a UK citizen so under 31.

Yep, both spot on.

For the avoidance of doubt for anybody reading in the future, you're eligible as long as you get the ITA before your 31st birthday. Once you've done that your age is 'locked in' and it doesn't matter if you enter Canada after you turn 31. But just entering the IEC pool before you turn 31 isn't enough, so make sure you allow enough time to enter the pool and get invited before you are no longer eligible at age 31.