Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

British teacher engaged to Canadian citizen

British teacher engaged to Canadian citizen

Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

aawilker is an unknown quantity at this point
Question British teacher engaged to Canadian citizen

Hi there,

I'm a Canadian citizen currently working in the UK until my visa runs out September 2017. My fiancé is British and currently has an open application for the IEC visa. We're both teachers and hoping to move back to Canada by next September. We both have good job options in Northern Ontario and so we'd like to get the ball rolling with his OCT application and getting hired by the school board.

First question is, anyone have any idea what the timing is like for knowing your IEC approval status? Second, as the IEC is a temporary visa, do you know if we'd be allowed to apply for a spousal visa whilst he is living and working in Canada on the IEC?

Lastly, since teaching isn't a job that is currently seeking workers (other than in isolated or french communities) it would be difficult for him to get a working visa before moving to Canada, but it would be very difficult for me to support him as a visitor, on a single income. If his IEC doesn't go through, since only a fraction of the applications are even looked at, does anyone know of any other working options we could look at?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British teacher engaged to Canadian citizen

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by aawilker
First question is, anyone have any idea what the timing is like for knowing your IEC approval status?
Once an ITA is received and the application has been submitted, it's about 8 weeks as a rough guide. But of course, timings will depend on when/if your fiancé gets selected from the pool and given an ITA, and that could happen next week, or in a few months time, or not at all.

Second, as the IEC is a temporary visa, do you know if we'd be allowed to apply for a spousal visa whilst he is living and working in Canada on the IEC?
Yes, that would be absolutely fine.

If his IEC doesn't go through, since only a fraction of the applications are even looked at, does anyone know of any other working options we could look at?
There aren't any, other than a 'normal' TWP, but as you say it's unlikely that you'd get an employer prepared to do the LMIA or that it would be granted even if so. Your only option would be to get married sooner so that you could sponsor him, or if you've been living together for a year or more, then just sponsor him now, but I assume that's not an option?

Best of luck.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I'm a Canadian citizen currently working in the UK until my visa runs out September 2017. My fiancé is British and currently has an open application for the IEC visa. We're both teachers and hoping to move back to Canada by next September. We both have good job options in Northern Ontario and so we'd like to get the ball rolling with his OCT application and getting hired by the school board.

First question is, anyone have any idea what the timing is like for knowing your IEC approval status? Second, as the IEC is a temporary visa, do you know if we'd be allowed to apply for a spousal visa whilst he is living and working in Canada on the IEC?

Lastly, since teaching isn't a job that is currently seeking workers (other than in isolated or french communities) it would be difficult for him to get a working visa before moving to Canada, but it would be very difficult for me to support him as a visitor, on a single income. If his IEC doesn't go through, since only a fraction of the applications are even looked at, does anyone know of any other working options we could look at?

Thanks in advance!

Just a thought and perhaps you have considered it, but would you meet the CIC 'common law' criteria (lived together for at least one year etc.)?

If so, you could go for Spousal Sponsorship instead. If you get your paper in quickly, then you may well meet your September 2017 timescale (especially if they go to Ottawa, which most seem to be these days).
Old Nov 14th 2016, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I would have been waiting about 28 days for London Visa & Immigration if I hadn't posted on here.

We have been living together since June, so we could apply for common-law by the time summer came around. Would he be able to work and live in Canada while this is being processed though? I've read so many different forums and visa options that I don't have a clear picture of it in my head anymore!

If we chose to go ahead with the spousal route, do you have any specific recommendations of what the CIC would be looking for in terms of our cohabitation and living as a married couple?
Old Nov 14th 2016, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I would have been waiting about 28 days for London Visa & Immigration if I hadn't posted on here.

We have been living together since June, so we could apply for common-law by the time summer came around. Would he be able to work and live in Canada while this is being processed though? I've read so many different forums and visa options that I don't have a clear picture of it in my head anymore!

If we chose to go ahead with the spousal route, do you have any specific recommendations of what the CIC would be looking for in terms of our cohabitation and living as a married couple?

Hmmm.. I don't think you can apply UNTIL you have lived together for at least one year.

Please have a read of the wiki link in my signature line - it tells you all you need to know (and more!) about spousal sponsorship, 'proof' of common law etc.

No, he would not be able to work until he had his Conditional Offer of Permanent Residence (which you get at the end of the process), but he would be able to live there as long as he didn't work - see the section called 'dual intent'.

Check out processing timescales in the spreadsheet link in my signature line.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 9:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We have been living together since June, so we could apply for common-law by the time summer came around. Would he be able to work and live in Canada while this is being processed though?
No, but if your application is processed via Ottawa, then you'd have PR about 3-4 months after applying, so potentially a good option with IEC as a back up in case the application does get sent to London (longer processing times there, although still quite quick in immigration terms!). He could also move to Canada as a visitor under 'dual intent' once you've applied (see the FAQ mentioned), but just wouldn't be able to work until he got PR (or an IEC).

Have a look at the Wiki and specifically the Spousal FAQ which will give you all the info you need, but essentially you need to show that you've been living as husband and wife so things like joint bank account, rental agreement in both names, utilities bills etc.

HTH.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Amazing! Thanks so much for all of the information!
One last question, I promise: If his IEC doesn't go through, we are considering moving to another country such as China or Japan so that we can at least both be working. Do you know if we'd be able to apply for a spousal visa in Canada even though neither of us would be living in our countries' of residence at the time we are submitting the application?
Old Nov 14th 2016, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Amazing! Thanks so much for all of the information!
One last question, I promise: If his IEC doesn't go through, we are considering moving to another country such as China or Japan so that we can at least both be working. Do you know if we'd be able to apply for a spousal visa in Canada even though neither of us would be living in our countries' of residence at the time we are submitting the application?
Yep, you can submit an application from anywhere in the world!

HTH.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 1:37 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, you say you are engaged, when are you getting married? If you are getting married before you've been living together for a year, you can apply as soon as you are married. (Or you can just do a courthouse wedding in order to be able to submit your application sooner.)

Also, read up in the wiki on inland vs outland... inland would give you an open work permit after about 4 months. Full PR takes longer, but if you have the work permit it matters less. (Worth noting, the pilot project giving a work permit technically expires in December but it's widely expected to be extended for at least another year... of course, no guarantees.)