British student wanting an IEC

Old Aug 18th 2016, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

lfc21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British student wanting an IEC

Hi,

I am looking to come to Canada next year after I finish my undergraduate programme.

I have been looking into the IEC online but would like to hear from people who have experienced the process of applying, being successful and then travelling to Canada.

I wonder how long did the process take for you ?
When is the best time to apply for an IEC ?
How many IEC's are issued? and when ?
When successful, does the IEC start at that time or is it from the date you travel to Canada?

Any further information you may feel necessary will be warmly welcomed!

Thanks.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British student wanting an IEC

Hi, welcome to BE.

Most of your questions can be answered on the official IEC pages - International Experience Canada – travel and work in Canada
International Experience Canada

But processing (once selected) will take approx 8 weeks, the best time is as soon as it opens if you can to give yourself as much chance as possible of being selected, there are usually around 5000 visas issued to Brits every year (does change a bit year by year) and they're issued intermittently until they're all gone (as they are for this year now). Again you can check this on the official pages - Rounds of invitations – International Experience Canada

And the IEC starts from when you enter Canada.

So you'll need to watch out for as soon as the program opens in late 2016 or 2017, apply and hope you get selected! :fingers crossed:

And lastly, in case you've not already found it, this thread would be very useful reading - http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...2016-a-868659/ You can also search that thread with any questions, as pretty much everything has been asked and answered on there.

HTH.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 2:48 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British student wanting an IEC

Originally Posted by lfc21
Hi,

I am looking to come to Canada next year after I finish my undergraduate programme.

I have been looking into the IEC online but would like to hear from people who have experienced the process of applying, being successful and then travelling to Canada.

I wonder how long did the process take for you ?
When is the best time to apply for an IEC ?
How many IEC's are issued? and when ?
When successful, does the IEC start at that time or is it from the date you travel to Canada?

Any further information you may feel necessary will be warmly welcomed!

Thanks.
Christmas has answered most of your questions but i will add my experience in as well.

Generally the UK gets 5000 IEC permits per year and these are valid for 2 years on date of entering Canada.

I got my 2 IECs - one for 1 year back when the UK could get 2 x 1 year permits and a 2 year year permit in 2014 after they changed it to one 2 year permit. back then it was first come first served and you had to be quick with the application but now it you submit an expression of interest and CIC decide who gets an Invitation to Apply.

You will need a few documents including police certificates from everywhere you have travelled or lived for 6 months or more since you were 18. If this is just the UK then its very easy to get the certificate but others such as USA (FBI police check) takes much longer so that time factor will need to be added in as you only get a limit about of time to submit your application and documents.

You may also need a medical if you plan to work with children or in a medical field as well as some other areas of work but if you dont then its not required.