british passport renewal

Old Sep 12th 2016, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

EplusS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default british passport renewal

not sure where to post this but i am needing to renew my passport should i remove my current IEC stapled in paper visa or just send it in passport as i think it is returned to me?
Old Sep 12th 2016, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: british passport renewal

Is your work permit still valid? If so, you need it. The passport office doesn't in order to renew your passport. If you think they do (why would they?), send them a copy.

I expect they will send your passport back, but there's a good chance it'll be without your work permit if you send it.

S
Old Sep 13th 2016, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

I would remove it too
Old Sep 13th 2016, 2:45 am
Just Joined

Thank you both for your replies. I've removed it. Prob best plan. Thanks again
Old Sep 13th 2016, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

As well as removing it, you really ought to take a digital copy of it anyway (not to send with the pp renewal as I don't think you need to do that) in case you ever lose it.

S
Old Sep 13th 2016, 2:58 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
As well as removing it, you really ought to take a digital copy of it anyway (not to send with the pp renewal as I don't think you need to do that) in case you ever lose it.

S
+1
Old Sep 13th 2016, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Got this from British consulate in case anyone else has same query.

" Please leave your visa attached to the passport, however, you should make the Passport Office aware that there is a current visa in the passport. "
Old Sep 13th 2016, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EplusS
Got this from British consulate in case anyone else has same query.

" Please leave your visa attached to the passport, however, you should make the Passport Office aware that there is a current visa in the passport. "
Why would they want you to do that...it doesn't make sense? There is no way I would leave my visa in my PP if I needed to send it for renewal.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Your work permit isn't a visa. At least not in Canadian Immigration terms. It's a permit to remain in Canada. A visa is a counterfoil affixed to a passport that citizens of certain countries need to travel to Canada.

I don't think it's mandatory to have your work permit stapled in your passport. After all, people get their work permits/study permits etc. renewed all the time and they just arrive in an envelope to your address in Canada. I can't recall an instruction to staple it into your passport (in other words, it may not have been "in" your passport).

What are you going to do if you get stopped on transit or you need to apply for something within Canada? (no passport, no work permit ... are you going to be able to prove who you say you are and that you have been lawfully admitted to Canada?).

I wonder if you can send a notarized copy with the British renewal.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 13th 2016 at 4:00 pm.