Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

British passport for Canadian citizen

British passport for Canadian citizen

Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Dollydd will become famous soon enough
Default British passport for Canadian citizen

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but here goes..........Many years back my other half's parents moved to Canada from Scotland & became Canadian citizens.My other half was then born to them here therefore making her Canadian.
We're looking to see if she's eligible for a British passport through her parents even though they were Canadian citizens at the time.I've searched time & time again online & can't get to the bottom of it so any information or links is very much appreciated.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:25 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport for Canadian citizen

Originally Posted by Dollydd
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but here goes..........Many years back my other half's parents moved to Canada from Scotland & became Canadian citizens.My other half was then born to them here therefore making her Canadian.
We're looking to see if she's eligible for a British passport through her parents even though they were Canadian citizens at the time.I've searched time & time again online & can't get to the bottom of it so any information or links is very much appreciated.
Hi there - I don't know if it would help, but if you are in Canada, if you contact the UK Passport service in Washington, they are really really helpful - see http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...passport-forms - they are the peeps you need to go to to get renewals and things done, so I am sure they'd know. Hope this helps. Good luck
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Dollydd will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
Hi there - I don't know if it would help, but if you are in Canada, if you contact the UK Passport service in Washington, they are really really helpful - see http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...passport-forms - they are the peeps you need to go to to get renewals and things done, so I am sure they'd know. Hope this helps. Good luck
Thank you for the link, i renewed my British passport there last year & i've just called & they're closed for the day so i'l try again in the morning.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the link, i renewed my British passport there last year & i've just called & they're closed for the day so i'l try again in the morning.
So long as she has birth certificates to prove it, theirs (at least one) and her, should be no problem.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:34 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

No problem - good luck!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As a general rule ...

You can claim British citizenship from a parent born in the UK. Parent becoming Canadian is irrelevant.

- if born before 1983 and only link is through the mother, registration is needed.
- if born before July 2006, a link through the father requires the parents to be married (or registration before age 18).