British marrying a Canadian

Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Berto46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question British marrying a Canadian

Afternoon all,

My fiancee and myself are about to take a trip down to Vegas to get married. We have been together now for 2 years (with a STACK of traveling to and from to the UK).

We are wondering what the next process is for me to gain a PR?? We have no doubt that there will be interviews by customs and immigration etc but have all the paperwork to show the relationship period of the last 2 years.

I have been living in Canada for the last 8 months with trips back to the UK, as my "visa" when on holiday lasts for 6 months at a time so I return back to the UK every 5 months.

Any help with how to gain the PR would be most appreciated.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British marrying a Canadian

After marrying , his first step would be to apply for sponsorship

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...-apply-who.asp

We are hoping to get married in June, but in Britain and have him to back to Canada and do it while I am still living here.

The link above should help (its a lot to take in, so don't worry)

Hope all goes well for you
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Berto46
I have been living in Canada for the last 8 months with trips back to the UK, as my "visa" when on holiday lasts for 6 months at a time so I return back to the UK every 5 months.
If Immigration work out that is what you are doing, they may not be happy next time you want to re-enter Canada.
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:45 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ has a very valid point indeed. Immigration isn't stupid and will see the frequency of your visits, and then you've applied for PR, and you have just got married. They may well see it as a marriage of convenience to just get PR, and so may reject the application, but you won't know until you have submitted.

One presumes your partner is PR or Canadian Citizen? in which case spousal sponsorship would probably be the route you need to look into.

If you use the In Canada option then it can take at the least 8 or so months, check the timelines to find out the current processing delay. I submitted my application in November 2008 and I received PR in July 2009.

If you use the Out of Canada option then processing times are quicker, I believe some have had PR in six months. The downside to using this route is that if you are called for an interview then it will take place in the UK, this means additional time and expense in the application. You can't say for certain you will / won't get called for an interview, so I would err on the side of caution and plan for it just in case.

I went with the In Canada process as I didn't know I could apply outland, and when I did find out I did not want to chance it in case I was called for an interview. Yes it took me longer, but I also thought as I was in Canada already that it made more sense to do it that way.

Oh, one other biggie. From what I recall, In Canada apps do not come with a right to appeal the decision, whereas Outland apps do. If you're worried you might get rejected then a process that allows for an appeal might be more beneficial to you.