Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

British Citizen Moving to Canada after marriage

British Citizen Moving to Canada after marriage

Old Sep 24th 2018, 11:06 am
Just Joined

ranjith08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Citizen Moving to Canada after marriage

Hey all,

I'm a British Citizen, currently in relationship with a Canadian. We are going to get married and I will be moving to Montreal, I want to prepare myself for the move. I'm looking to move there fully in 5 years so I have few questions to ask you guys and hopefully you can help me out.

Finances

Currently, working full time and saving, Should I keep my money that I will be using to move in my savings accounts?
I was going to invest into Vanguard S&S ISA but since I will be moving there is no point, is there a way for me still invest into Vanguard without being held back by move?
I want advice on how to deal with finances, also to get the most out of my money while I'm here before I make the big move.

Visa

I have read through the spouse Visa and have few questions

Do I have to apply for the spouse visa and PR at the same time? so I will able to work without needing a work permit
Since I will be moving to Montreal, I know French is a requirement ( I'm taking classes in French to prepare myself) will that have any serious affect on the Visa application? are there any test related to it also?

Thanks for any help in advance! I just want prepare myself before so I have good understanding of everything.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizen Moving to Canada after marriage

Have you spotted our wiki articles on this yet? The ones you need to read are here and most of your questions are answered there:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...lication_Forms

5 years is an awfully long way away. No point in applying at all until one year prior to your planned move date. You are British, so do not need a visa per-se, but you will need permanent residence approval first, hence spousal sponsorship processing. Once you have this and land and activate it, you will be able to work, you will not need a separate work visa (unless you go the inland route, when you can apply for an OW at the same time as submitting your sponsorship papers. QC have the same process, all they want in addition is another form (a CSQ) which they ask for once you send the pack in.

How will you and your wife be living together or will you?
Old Sep 24th 2018, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

ranjith08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply! 5 is year a very long time but I want to sort out the finance also be prepared for the move so putting in the work now with insight into the process, will have a look at the links you have provided. So I will just need to apply for the PR along with spousal sponsorship?
Me and My wife will be living together, she already has brought a house with her parents we will be staying there, but there are plans of buying another house just for us also.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ranjith08
So I will just need to apply for the PR along with spousal sponsorship?
These are not two separate activities. As a UK citizen you are visa-exempt. When you apply for spousal sponsorship you are applying for permanent residence. Once you have your CoPR, then you can land in Canada.

Originally Posted by ranjith08
Me and My wife will be living together, she already has brought a house with her parents we will be staying there, but there are plans of buying another house just for us also.

I don't understand. Where will your wife be buying a house, in the UK?? If she is buying in Canada, how do you propose to live with her in Canada without first getting spousal sponsorship and therefore PR? You can only enter Canada as a visitor for 6 or 12 months at a time until you have PR (and cannot work as a visitor). You need to think this part through carefully I suggest.