Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

British citizen with Canadian parent (PR) - immigration advice

British citizen with Canadian parent (PR) - immigration advice

Old Aug 11th 2017, 6:32 am
Just Joined

kalixia81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizen with Canadian parent (PR) - immigration advice

Hello everyone. This is my first post. Having searched the forum already I would appreciate advice related to my circumstance.

I am a British Citizen, recent single parent with one child (4yrs). Having just been through a divorce I would like to go to Toronto where my mother lives to have her support at this time and explore living here permemantly.

I have lived in Germany for the last 4 years as a SAHM. I am a qualified Yoga & Fitness Instructor. I would like to retrain as a Physiotherapist.

Any advice on the following:

- I understand that I'm allowed 6 months tourist visa but this is applied on arrival. What do I need to consider, show proof of to ensure I get approved? ie return ticket, proof of funds, permission from other parent. Is it best to be straight about my intentions or keep it simple 'I'm visiting my mother'?

- Having completed the eligibility tool - I believe I qualify for express entry but am not sure how correct that is. My job does fall under the NOC fields (B) but as I have not worked for the last four years Im not sure how to proceed with proving this. I have my qualifications and work history through references etc

- Unfotunately my mother cannot sponsor me but I read about applying under Humanitarian & Compassionate Grounds - family reunification. My mother is 60, my sister has moved abroad so she is alone here. I have an Uncle in Ottawa. Both have professional jobs with good standing and could easily provide proof of supporting me during this process. Does anyone have experience of this? Is it best to find an immigration lawyer?

- My intention is to go for six months explore my options and hopefully find a way to stay. Any advice on how to best approach this would be useful. I will stay with my Mum, I have savings and a decent child maintenance from my ex. to take care of my needs.

- could I work on a voluntary basis to gain valid Canadian work experience?

- Insurance? We will need this of course. Is there an Insurance (not travel) that I can purchase in Canada?

- Lastly, would my child be able to attend kindergarten? We will be in Mississauga. I plan to put him in private daycare initially but if the process for PR seems like a go then long term can he attend school while Im in the application phase?

I realise there are many questions. Any advice in whatever capacity is valued. Also would be great to hear experiences from Brits who have made the move.

Thank you all for your time.
Best regards
Old Aug 13th 2017, 10:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen with Canadian parent (PR) - immigration advice

Originally Posted by kalixia81
Hello everyone. This is my first post. Having searched the forum already I would appreciate advice related to my circumstance.

I am a British Citizen, recent single parent with one child (4yrs). Having just been through a divorce I would like to go to Toronto where my mother lives to have her support at this time and explore living here permemantly.

I have lived in Germany for the last 4 years as a SAHM. I am a qualified Yoga & Fitness Instructor. I would like to retrain as a Physiotherapist.

Any advice on the following:

- I understand that I'm allowed 6 months tourist visa but this is applied on arrival. What do I need to consider, show proof of to ensure I get approved? ie return ticket, proof of funds, permission from other parent. Is it best to be straight about my intentions or keep it simple 'I'm visiting my mother'?

You can be given *up to* 6 months as a visitor, but there are no guarantees. You would need to show a return ticket, proof of money to support yourself (and perhaps a letter from your Mother saying you will be staying with her), proof of ties to the UK (job, home, education etc) and proof of permission to remove your child from the UK. You can't enter with an intent to remain, you can only enter as a visitor at this point.

- Having completed the eligibility tool - I believe I qualify for express entry but am not sure how correct that is. My job does fall under the NOC fields (B) but as I have not worked for the last four years Im not sure how to proceed with proving this. I have my qualifications and work history through references etc

You would need to use the 'come to Canada' wizard and then work out your points under the CRS - you can find both on the CIC website. Under Express Entry, it tells you how many years back you can go for your work experience to count. You would need to score at least 67 under the Skilled Worker (Come to Canada wizard) and more than 400 under the CRS points system to realistically obtain an invite. If you use the CRS to work out your points, assume you would get full points for language.

If you are under 31 (35 if you are Irish) then you could apply for an International Experience Canada 2 year work permit, it's a pool you can enter and there are no guarantees of getting picked - but if you did, that would edable you to get a work permit and work experience in Canada, which would help with your points for EE / Canadian Experience Class.

- Unfotunately my mother cannot sponsor me but I read about applying under Humanitarian & Compassionate Grounds - family reunification. My mother is 60, my sister has moved abroad so she is alone here. I have an Uncle in Ottawa. Both have professional jobs with good standing and could easily provide proof of supporting me during this process. Does anyone have experience of this? Is it best to find an immigration lawyer?

You would be highly unlikely to qualify on H&C grounds

- My intention is to go for six months explore my options and hopefully find a way to stay. Any advice on how to best approach this would be useful. I will stay with my Mum, I have savings and a decent child maintenance from my ex. to take care of my needs.

- could I work on a voluntary basis to gain valid Canadian work experience?

Not if it's a position that a Canadian or PR person would normally expect to be paid for. It's very limited as to what is classed as 'voluntary work'

- Insurance? We will need this of course. Is there an Insurance (not travel) that I can purchase in Canada?

- Lastly, would my child be able to attend kindergarten? We will be in Mississauga. I plan to put him in private daycare initially but if the process for PR seems like a go then long term can he attend school while Im in the application phase?

As far as I am aware, your son couldn't attend schoold if you are here as a visitor. If you are able to obtain a work permit or gain PR then yes.

I realise there are many questions. Any advice in whatever capacity is valued. Also would be great to hear experiences from Brits who have made the move.

Thank you all for your time.
Best regards
Hello and welcome to BE!

I'm sorry that you haven't had a reply yet, it's the weekend and most people are out making the most of the glorious weather! I'm sure you'll have some responses in the next day or so.

I'll try to answer a couple of your questions briefly... I've inserted them into your post above to save me typing them out again..

Hope they help a little.