Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BRITISH BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND PHOTOS

BRITISH BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND PHOTOS

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:01 am
J2J
Forum Regular

J2J is on a distinguished road
Default BRITISH BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND PHOTOS

My OH is in England and I am in Canada. We have been preparing our Spousal application while on Skype this evening. He is showing me his Birth Certificate that he has. It says on it that it is a copy of a certified copy and it is all filled in in hand writing. It's about 8" wide and 4" high. Would this be the correct copy of a UK Birth Certificate to include with application, or should he be sending away for another version?

Also while he was in Canada last month he got his photos taken for the Police Check as well as the Immigration Application. He got 16 for the later. They came in 8 sets of 2. In each set, one has photo shop and date printed on the back and the other is blank. Would this be ok to take 5 to the medical and 8to send with application, even if some don't have the print on the back?

One extra question to add to this......... What do I, here in Canada put on the Sponsor Application for "Country Code" with my phone number. I called the operator and he said "1" but that doesn't seem right to me
Thanks for all the support!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

irthedino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BRITISH BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND PHOTOS

had it explained to me that the country code is just 1 - any other numbers that folk use when calling you are specific numbers to the country they are calling from to access a line 'outside' of their country,

Can't offer much advice on your other questions, maybe check out the registrars website for specifics on birth certs,

Cheers,
Di

http://www.gov-certificates.co.uk/
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:49 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J2J
My OH is in England and I am in Canada. We have been preparing our Spousal application while on Skype this evening. He is showing me his Birth Certificate that he has. It says on it that it is a copy of a certified copy and it is all filled in in hand writing. It's about 8" wide and 4" high. Would this be the correct copy of a UK Birth Certificate to include with application, or should he be sending away for another version?
This sounds like the right one.

One extra question to add to this......... What do I, here in Canada put on the Sponsor Application for "Country Code" with my phone number. I called the operator and he said "1" but that doesn't seem right to me
1 is the international code for USA/Canada. To call Canada from anywhere in the world you need to dial the out of country code plus 1-999-999-9999. 1-999-999-9999 is also the conventional way of writing a Canadian phone number for overseas users.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
1-999-999-9999 is also the conventional way of writing a Canadian phone number for overseas users.
Not quite. When calling from overseas it's +1, where the + denotes an international calling code. In the UK this code is 00, so it would become 001-999-999-9999, but as I stated this is only when calling, when writing the number +1 is typically used.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by J2J
It's the right one, as long as it's the long version, ie it has his parents details on it. The short version doesn't. From dimensions, sounds like it is the long verision, but worth a check.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

If your OH does not have children (ie, you're ONLY sponsoring him), there is no need for the birth certificate. You only need to include it if there are other family members being sponsored as well because it is used to "confirm the relationship between the family members." This one threw us for a loop when we did our application as well, but I had a couple people at CIC verify that because I was ONLY sponsoring my common-law partner, the birth certificate was not needed. (Which turned out to be a good thing because it was in Northern Ireland and he wasn't )
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:15 pm
JT1
Account Closed

JT1 is an unknown quantity at this point

None of our birth certificates detail parents - please don't tell me I have to get new copies of them too. We're living in the US at the moment, so this could turn into a nightmare. I'm already having a struggle getting course transcripts, neither mine or husbands university do them - apparently! So I've requested an official letter detailing that, we'll see
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:01 pm
JT1
Account Closed

JT1 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK - new certs ordered