Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Bringing an unrelated person on visit

Bringing an unrelated person on visit

Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

mathewpsimon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing an unrelated person on visit

Friends I am a new immigrtant.I would like to bring my mother on visit but I think that will take some time.Is there anyway I can ask a friend of my to bring her on visit.What I mean is, can a person who is unrelated bring someone on visit ? If so,what is the condition for that?
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing an unrelated person on visit

Not sure what you mean by 'bring someone'? You mean accompany from her country? She can travel with anybody, or on her own, no problem.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

sorry christmasoompa for the words,I meant invite and sponsor an unrelated person on visit visa.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not sure what you mean by 'bring someone'? You mean accompany from her country? She can travel with anybody, or on her own, no problem.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:16 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

No they can't.

Have you looked into the parent supervisa?
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

I am a new immigrant and financially I may not meet that criteria.
I was under the impression that anyone can send a "sponsorship/support invitation" to her...(my mother) only that person needs to be in good standing here, financially and lawfully.
Please clarify if I am wrong.
Originally Posted by mandymoochops
No they can't.

Have you looked into the parent supervisa?
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:10 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mathewpsimon
I am a new immigrant and financially I may not meet that criteria.
I was under the impression that anyone can send a "sponsorship/support invitation" to her...(my mother) only that person needs to be in good standing here, financially and lawfully.
Please clarify if I am wrong.
You are wrong. You can only sponsor family, and pretty specific family at that.

Minimum income for the parent/ grandparent 2 year supervisa is only $23.3k if its just you and them to support, I hope to God you are not living in Canada on less than that.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 13th 2013 at 5:13 am.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Sponsor again is a wrong words used.Can X who is not related to my mother send invitation for my mother to visit X in Canada.Since I dont meet the LICO criteria for visit visa invite,I am thinking this option.
Originally Posted by iaink
You are wrong. You can only sponsor family, and pretty specific family at that.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:24 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I dont get why she cant just apply for her own visitors visa if she just wishes to visit, but then this isnt really my area anyway...

Maybe if you explained what country she is trying to visit from and whether you are looking at a short term visit, or long term stay, someone will know what is required.

If you just wish her to come for a short visit then I dont understand why an invitation from yourself would not be suffient to get a visa issued, your income is only a factor if you wish to sponser her for a longer term stay.

If you wish a longer term stay then having a third party write a letter is not relevent to that situation.

I suspect you are worried that if a recent immigrant with low income invites a relative to visit then a visa will not be issued because cic may consider the visitor a poor risk to leave at the end of their visa period... I dont know if there is any truth in that sort of profiling. Either way, having a visa issued based on a third party invitation where there is no intent to actually visit or stay with that party seems to be inviting trouble to me.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.asp

Last edited by iaink; Feb 13th 2013 at 5:37 am.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sponsor again is a wrong words used.Can X who is not related to my mother send invitation for my mother to visit X in Canada.Since I dont meet the LICO criteria for visit visa invite,I am thinking this option.
Yes but not under the grandparent/parent supervisa criteria unless they of course are related to her.
Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents have a new option for visiting Canada. As of December 1, 2011, you may be eligible to apply for the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa - which is valid for up to 10 years and allows an applicant to remain in Canada for up to 24 months at a time without the need for renewal of their status.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/supervisa.asp

Doing it the other way may not be simple as CIC might be suspicious of why she is not visiting you her son and she will want to remain permanently.
BTW what is your mothers citizenship?
She could of course just travel on her own and apply for a visa if required and maybe be granted 12 months providing she satisfies CIC/CBSA that she will go back under the normal visitor requirements.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/tourist.asp
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

She is an Indian.Yes she can apply her own tourist visa but my invite will make it stronger for her to get the visa.
My concern is me with $2500 job with 2 dependents whether it is fine financially for her to tourist visa of 6 months?
Also Can she stay on tourist visa for 12 months(6+6)?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes but not under the grandparent/parent supervisa criteria unless they of course are related to her.
Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents have a new option for visiting Canada. As of December 1, 2011, you may be eligible to apply for the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa - which is valid for up to 10 years and allows an applicant to remain in Canada for up to 24 months at a time without the need for renewal of their status.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/supervisa.asp

Doing it the other way may not be simple as CIC might be suspicious of why she is not visiting you her son and she will want to remain permanently.
BTW what is your mothers citizenship?
She could of course just travel on her own and apply for a visa if required and maybe be granted 12 months providing she satisfies CIC/CBSA that she will go back under the normal visitor requirements.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/tourist.asp
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:41 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

She is an Indian.Yes she can apply her own tourist visa but my invite will make it stronger for her to get the visa.
My concern is me with $2500 job with 2 dependents whether it is fine financially for her to tourist visa of 6 months?
She is the one who has to show she can afford to visit you, not you. You only have to show you can support her if you are sponsoring her for a longer stay.

6+6 might happen, but its not a certainty, nothing is where visas are concerned..

Heres a link I added to my earlier post regarding the letter of invitation.

You are braver than me, three weeks living under the same roof as my dad is about as much as I can stand at a time, good luck with 6 or 12 months...
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

What is a long stay?more than 6 months?
Originally Posted by iaink
She is the one who has to show she can afford to visit you, not you. You only have to show you can support her if you are sponsoring her for a longer stay.

6+6 might happen, but its not a certainty, nothing is where visas are concerned..

Heres a link I added to my earlier post regarding the letter of invitation.

You are braver than me, three weeks living under the same roof as my dad is about as much as I can stand at a time, good luck with 6 or 12 months...
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:47 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

What is a long stay?more than 6 months?
Id say anything in excess of the standard tourist visa allowance.

The supervisa covers up to 2 years and requires your supporting income, as does anything beyond that, not that CIC are accepting parental sponsorships at present anyway.

In the case of my parents anything more than a couple of weeks seems interminable, but YMMV and thats not what you were asking I guess

Last edited by iaink; Feb 13th 2013 at 5:49 am.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Much as I hate to say it she will need to provide proof to CIC that she has ties to India (house, family, job etc etc a reason to return) before they will grant a visa regardless of what visa is issued. She will need to apply to a Consulate responsible for the country she is currently living in.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp

Citizens of India require a visa if travelling on an Indian passport.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Much as I hate to say it she will need to provide proof to CIC that she has ties to India (house, family, job etc etc a reason to return) before they will grant a visa regardless of what visa is issued. She will need to apply to a Consulate responsible for the country she is currently living in.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp

Citizens of India require a visa if travelling on an Indian passport.
The question is regarding a TRV ..in which case, yes a support letter from Canada should help when applying (I don't think it needs to be family), but some ties should be shown (does this person know her?)
But as before mentioned, she will also need to show enough ties to India, that the Officer is convinced she will return at the end of the visit...which could weigh heavier than all the rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.