Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Bringing my lovely mother to Canada

Bringing my lovely mother to Canada

Old Apr 19th 2017, 9:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing my lovely mother to Canada

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Yep, that sounds like work. If the gran wasn't there, for the same setup the parents would have to hire a (eligible to work in Canada) nanny. The gran is taking work that would otherwise be available to the Canadian labour market.

If said gran is already a PR or citizen, then they have work rights, and can do this freely.
+1.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond repute

My mum is here on the Supervisa, her 2 years will be up in August so she will apply to renew. We also submitted an intent to sponsor in January this year but have yet to hear. If you want to go the PR Parent Sponsorship route, you will have to wait until next year to try so your only option right now, as already mentioned, is the supervise.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:12 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hermione
My mum is here on the Supervisa, her 2 years will be up in August so she will apply to renew. We also submitted an intent to sponsor in January this year but have yet to hear. If you want to go the PR Parent Sponsorship route, you will have to wait until next year to try so your only option right now, as already mentioned, is the supervise.
I hope you were successful in your sponsorship Hermione as our daughter was not so we are looking into the Supervisa route.

An underlying theme in this thread seems to be that people with an SV stay for more than one two year chunk (as allowed by SV rules) then, when they have sufficient years to qualify, apply for Permanent Resident status.

Is this the case or have I got it wrong?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by btar
I hope you were successful in your sponsorship Hermione as our daughter was not so we are looking into the Supervisa route.

An underlying theme in this thread seems to be that people with an SV stay for more than one two year chunk (as allowed by SV rules) then, when they have sufficient years to qualify, apply for Permanent Resident status.

Hi, welcome to BE.

Unforunately Hermione wasn't successful - http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post12238798

And I'm afraid you have misunderstood. Just being in Canada on a SV wouldn't allow you to apply for PR, after any length of time. You can certainly apply to stay longer after the initial 2 years (it's obviously not guaranteed but may well be granted), but it would still be on a temporary status and you can't apply for PR on that basis. So for PR you'd need another visa route (work based, or family class etc).

HTH, good luck.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

Unforunately Hermione wasn't successful - http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post12238798

And I'm afraid you have misunderstood. Just being in Canada on a SV wouldn't allow you to apply for PR, after any length of time. You can certainly apply to stay longer after the initial 2 years (it's obviously not guaranteed but may well be granted), but it would still be on a temporary status and you can't apply for PR on that basis. So for PR you'd need another visa route (work based, or family class etc).

HTH, good luck.
Or for the OP's daughter to put in another application next year (and the year after, if not successful in the lottery for a place).

Old Apr 27th 2017, 7:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Or for the OP's daughter to put in another application next year (and the year after, if not successful in the lottery for a place).

Yep, that's exactly what I meant when I referred to family class.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 7:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

As others have already said the SV does not lead to PR. The following was our timetable...

We applied for the SV in August 2013...it was approved Mar/April 2014...it was renewed April 2016 for 1 year. We couldn't apply for PR until Jan 2014. We applied for Family Sponsorship...our daughter was our sponsor. PR was approved December 2016.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:10 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to you all for the prompt replies and clarification. It seems that I was holding the stick by the wrong end - again!
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to you all for the prompt replies and clarification. It seems that I was holding the stick by the wrong end - again!
Apply for the SV...then every January apply for PR through family sponsorship.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Just released today regarding sponsoring parents and grandparents

95,000 sponsors vie for 10,000 spots in lottery to bring parents, grandparents to Canada
95,000 sponsors vie for 10,000 spots in lottery to bring parents, grandparents to Canada - Politics - CBC News

Looks like the Super Visa will be popular.