Bring over Grandad

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

meanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant future
Default Bring over Grandad

Has anyone brung over Family members on sponsership before. My wifes dad really misses our kids and would love to come over and live with us. how would we go about this.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:41 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bring over Grandad

Originally Posted by meanjock
Has anyone brung over Family members on sponsership before. My wifes dad really misses our kids and would love to come over and live with us. how would we go about this.
Read this
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/family.asp
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 2:28 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

The Wiki article called Retiring in Canada suggests a partial workaround.
x
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
The Wiki article called Retiring in Canada suggests a partial workaround.
x
I've just read the Alberta family stream requirements for the first time, and it states that the sponsored person should be between the ages of 21 and 45 (and meet education/work experience requirements) - I guess that age band alone makes it unsuitable for most sponsored parents. Should I add the ages in the wiki, or just remove it as a potential avenue for retirees?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:12 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I've just read the Alberta family stream requirements for the first time, and it states that the sponsored person should be between the ages of 21 and 45 (and meet education/work experience requirements) - I guess that age band alone makes it unsuitable for most sponsored parents. Should I add the ages in the wiki, or just remove it as a potential avenue for retirees?
Thanks for the heads up. I've taken the liberty of going ahead and making a comment about the age requirement.
x
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:08 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Basically your wife files an application to sponsor her father. If she works and earns above the minimum income requirement (you cant "sponsor" someone unless you earn enough money to show you can support them financially). If you have 2 kids and want to sponsor one person the minimum income is about $44k (for a total family unit of 5 people). If your wife doesnt meet the income requirement then you can be a "co-signer" on the sponsorship application which means both your income is used to see if you qualify.

The sponsorship application gets filed in Canada. It currently takeas about 2 years to process (there is a queue). If successful you get sent an application pack that your father-in-law can use to apply to the High Commission in London to come to Canada as a member of the family class. I think current processing time in London for this second stage is less than a year. He wouldnt have to meet the points scores (like a skilled worker) because you are sponsoring him but he would still have to meet the usual criteria with respect to health, criminality, etc.