Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Bricklaying qualifications don't match work experience

Bricklaying qualifications don't match work experience

Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Brunti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bricklaying qualifications don't match work experience

I am posting this on behalf of a friend as it's so long since we started this process and I know that the rules have changed.

His qualifications are all in bricklaying. However his last 8 years experience is in construction management in both renovation work and new build housing. He is wanting to find a job in BC but the question is if he does manage to get an AEO does this have to be in the same jobtype as his qualifications, ie bricklaying. In Canada there is very little bricklaying so he'd be kind of screwed! Will the prospective employer get the LMO even if the qualifications don't match the job offer?

Thanks for any input
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:44 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklaying qualifications don't match work experience

Hi

Originally Posted by Brunti
I am posting this on behalf of a friend as it's so long since we started this process and I know that the rules have changed.

His qualifications are all in bricklaying. However his last 8 years experience is in construction management in both renovation work and new build housing. He is wanting to find a job in BC but the question is if he does manage to get an AEO does this have to be in the same jobtype as his qualifications, ie bricklaying. In Canada there is very little bricklaying so he'd be kind of screwed! Will the prospective employer get the LMO even if the qualifications don't match the job offer?

Thanks for any input
The usual answer it depends. An LMO for a Physician wouldn't fly if you haven't attended medical school. So it depends on the job and what the LMO is being sought for. As the employer has to prove why there were no Canadians or PRs available or qualified for the position, it might be pretty hard to justify an LMO where the applicant doesn't have the qualifications compared to CCs/PRs who applied for the job and do have the qualifications.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklaying qualifications don't match work experience

I got a job and positive LMO as a Web Developer even though I'm only qualified in Music and Music Technology.

The Employer can state on the LMO form what Qualifications they thought were required for the job, my employer only put Secondary School Education.

That being said things have changed a lot since most of us here got LMOs, so it's hard to say but I definitely think it's worth a shot.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Sep 9th 2010 at 9:21 pm.