British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Brazalot (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/brazalot-911588/)

naomiharvey Apr 13th 2018 9:21 am

Re: Brazalot

Thanks for the reply- In the past 5 years sadly no- my last tax return for self employment was last year - I am still registered to do a return next April, but prior to that I was PAYE and so last self employment that I have evidence for- as in tax return was 2011. The trouble with TV is if you invoice or are PAYE is down to your company.

Regarding study- I am concerened that I will be over there on a study visa and still risk
not getting PR as I would have to apply at teh end of the study visa- I don't want ot have started a new life only to return. Also I fear about income whilst over there if I study and I have a dog so student accomodation etc could be an issue.

Sorry I rechecked and I aslo ticked PEI, Nova Scotia. I have noticed for PEI you can actually actively apply to them for expression of interest so did that last night.

My understanding is as long as you enter the country and live for a while in the area you apply under you are then free to move. I love the maratimes and would be more than happy to take some time doing a job outside my career as I am also an author so could use it for writing time.

Apologies I didn't mean to bump I didn't realise that x

BEVS Apr 13th 2018 10:31 am

Originally Posted by naomiharvey (Post 12480888)
Apologies I didn't mean to bump I didn't realise that x

No worries.

As you are interacting and chatting with people here now, I can alter your thread title to better reflect your aim & help gain better answers and attract more comments. That will help here.

What would you prefer ?

naomiharvey Apr 13th 2018 11:58 am

yes please- alter to whatever you feel is most relevant and will get more interaction- all advice welcomed!

BristolUK Apr 13th 2018 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12480836)
... I'm guessing there's not a lot of tv production in the Maritimes!...

Maybe not but then maybe there's less competition for what there is. :unsure:

Nova Scotia TV Production

Seems to be lots of small companies and, of course, CBC & CTV. A lot of funding incentive programs exist which could be a sign there's not much going on.

Siouxie Apr 13th 2018 6:19 pm

By selecting multiple Provinces you may risk getting invited to none (other than the Atlantic pilot perhaps).

rivingtonpike Apr 14th 2018 1:42 am

Immigration companies get a bit of stick on here. Do you remember Paul Wildy? He was hailed as a good egg and worshiped on this site for quite some time. But then the wheels came off and he was condemned in the same way Brazalot seem to be. We didn't use an immigration company when we applied, but for some people I imagine it can be a reassuring guide.

I wonder what happened to Paul Wildy? I never really understood why he went from saint to sinner overnight...

Siouxie Apr 14th 2018 2:01 am

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 12481379)
Immigration companies get a bit of stick on here. Do you remember Paul Wildy? He was hailed as a good egg and worshiped on this site for quite some time. But then the wheels came off and he was condemned in the same way Brazalot seem to be. We didn't use an immigration company when we applied, but for some people I imagine it can be a reassuring guide.

I wonder what happened to Paul Wildy? I never really understood why he went from saint to sinner overnight...

It would appear he is still going. A google search reveals he is part of 'start up overseas'

naomiharvey Apr 14th 2018 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12481203)
By selecting multiple Provinces you may risk getting invited to none (other than the Atlantic pilot perhaps).

Interesting- so it goes against you?

crofty82 Apr 14th 2018 11:51 am

Originally Posted by naomiharvey (Post 12481526)

It would appear so. Reading up on Manitoba’s PNP for example you actually lose points for having connections to other provinces, such as having relatives there or having studied there.

I guess provincial governments want to see you are serious about settling in and contributing to their province, which of course can potentially damage your prospects of appealing to others.

Siouxie Apr 14th 2018 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by naomiharvey (Post 12481526)

I've always understood that you need to select 'Ontario' or 'all provinces/territories' on your EE profile if you wish to be selected for Ontario PNP, but I'm sure others can offer relevant advice.

:)

JamesM Apr 19th 2018 12:48 am

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 12481379)

He was good. It seemed though that he hit some financial or stress related problem.

Several people on here worked for him and were let go.

Then his firm closed rather quickly and some people who were in process and had paid money were left in flux.

I had some sympathy for him as most of his tenure on here he was helpful but then I wasn't personally effected.

Andrew Miller was much more of a head case!

christmasoompa Apr 19th 2018 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12481396)
It would appear he is still going. A google search reveals he is part of 'start up overseas'

Start Up Overseas is just a business advertising site, you could pay to have your immigration company linked to a certain country iirc. So that will be an old advert. Last I heard he was in Australia and no longer working in immigration.