Border Crossing - what to take?

Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

newfiegurl is on a distinguished road
Default Border Crossing - what to take?

Ok, we're heading to the US border and then coming right back again! What should we take?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:38 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Border Crossing - what to take?

A plausible story for entering the US (shopping is a good one) and the address of where you're going, also $6 (USD) for each person that needs a visa waiver... Do NOT say you're merely entering the US to return to Canada...
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G77
A plausible story for entering the US (shopping is a good one) and the address of where you're going, also $6 (USD) for each person that needs a visa waiver... Do NOT say you're merely entering the US to return to Canada...
But that's what the guy from immigration just told me on the phone and we know several ppl here that have done that...just told them what they're there to do and turn around to come back.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of

I took a letter confirming my job offer and my LMO.

When the American Immigration officer asked me why I was coming to America I said I wasn't, and that I needed to activate my Canadian TWP. He said......Ah, your flag-poling, we get lots of folks doing that. He told me where to park the car (and told me not to go any further than the car park as I would have entered America illegally and he'd arrest me and have me deported....he was joking.....I think!!) Then I went and filled out the paperwork to say I wasn't entering America, and that I just wanted to activate my TWP. Then went round to the Canadian side and got my TWP. All very easy, everyone was very friendly, and I think it only took about an hour.

If you aren't going shopping I don't really see the point in lying as when you get to the Canadian side they will ask you how long you spent in America and ask you why you went there.

Good luck....I'm sure all will be fine x
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:17 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Luck of the draw - if you get an officer who wants to make an issue of it, they'll record that you was officially denied access to the US and this will make it difficult for you to enter in the future.... There's a thread on here somewhere about it....
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G77
Luck of the draw - if you get an officer who wants to make an issue of it, they'll record that you was officially denied access to the US and this will make it difficult for you to enter in the future.... There's a thread on here somewhere about it....
As long as they let us come back! Then I guess it's off to Mexico or Cuba!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of

But when you get there you just say 'actually, I don't want to come to the states.' Then you fill out a piece of paper saying that you were not denied entry, you just decided not to enter America. How can they deny you entry if you don't even want to go there? Maybe I was just lucky and got a super helpful and friendly Immigration Officer!

I had honestly never heard that they could record you as being refused entry if you were flag-poling!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newfiegurl
As long as they let us come back! Then I guess it's off to Mexico or Cuba!
oooh Mexico! You might catch pig flu!!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:25 am
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

I was denied entry on my flag-polling adventures. The officer said "We don't like people doing that, I'm going to note that you refused to pay the $6 visa waiver. Now kindly ***** off back to that frozen excuse for a country", or something along those lines.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:26 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steph Golder
I had honestly never heard that they could record you as being refused entry if you were flag-poling!
That's what happened to me - I asked to flagpole, and was told I had to go through the formal process of in-admission. It was a PITA, and took hours.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

So I guess it is just luck of the draw then.....maybe you could go on a shopping trip! Good excuse for new shoes!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steph Golder
So I guess it is just luck of the draw then.....maybe you could go on a shopping trip! Good excuse for new shoes!
We're heading down on Thursday to try the border, if not we will have an appointment at a CIC office in 4-6 weeks. Hopefully the border works out!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

hi, we did the exact thing on the sunday just gone..we went to the border..was asked how much money we had on us..i told them nothing just my mastercard...was asked why we were crossing border..we said to go shopping..they will ask where...once we filled out green visa waiver slip and $6 a person, fingerprints taken..we crossed..if you dont want to go and spend any money shopping just drive for a couple of miles and turn around..fill up with gas its cheaper in the US...i took my paperwork to land, our passports, our TWP, and drivers licence..i thought if they ask for anything then at least i have it.took about 40 mins to land and was asked very little..how long we lived in Canada and that was about it..quite easy on the canada side but the US can be more intense, good luck