Wikiposts

bizzaro (Andrew??)

Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

mirceaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bizzaro (Andrew??)

Hi Andrew,

I have a question regarding work permits.

I don't understand what's the logic behind elligibility for open work permits. Why spouses of international students are allowed to have open work permits while spouses of Canadian citizens are not allowed? Any explanation?

Thanks,

Mircea
Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bizzaro (Andrew??)

Originally Posted by mirceaf
Hi Andrew,

I have a question regarding work permits.

I don't understand what's the logic behind elligibility for open work permits. Why spouses of international students are allowed to have open work permits while spouses of Canadian citizens are not allowed? Any explanation?

Thanks,

Mircea

I was just thining about the unfairness of that myself, and i can only put it down to two things, one is MONEY! basically you have to be rish to be a foreign student here, and its a classist society! look how much money you have to have to apply as a skilled worker, business investor, or NPN.
and secondly its stupidity you dont have to be a rich canadian to have a foreign spouse I know where not and were even less rich after 3 years of me being unable to work! CIC and the federal and provincial goverments dont quite get it, that they could make a hell of a lot of money from income tax if we were able to work!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

because spouses of canadians are allowed to have a PR status instead.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ibraheem
because spouses of canadians are allowed to have a PR status instead.

EVENTUALLY!!!! do you know how hard it is to substain on one wage for over a year, as well as paying immigration fees and medical fees, police clearances, notary publics???

obviously your one of the rich ones that doesnt have to worry about money?
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:31 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
EVENTUALLY!!!! do you know how hard it is to substain on one wage for over a year, as well as paying immigration fees and medical fees, police clearances, notary publics???
There's always the possibility of staying in one's country of origin, working and making money while doing an outside sponsorship...
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

you can say the same thing about international students' spouses. they could stay in their countries. this is not the point. the discrepancy is when you compare the rights spouses of Canadian citizens have vs. int students's spouses. both are allowed to apply for PR as skilled worker. even having the spouse of Canadian citizen apply for PR being sponsored taked 8-9 month just for approval in principle, so 8-9 months without right of work! for int students, the moment they are in Canada spouses are allowed to work (open permit, not work permit for a certain position and company). In the mean time post graduation employment does not allow the former student to work anywhere, limiting the possibility of finding the best job or being flexible in the job search. they have to have the offer, to apply for work permit, wait for at least 40 days and if the company is still interested, to start to work.

In my oppinion both spouses of Canadian citizens as well as post graduation employment should qualify for open work permit. The argument that you might have people marrying Canadian citizens just for work does not stand because you can't control having people marrying somebody who's going to Canada with a study permit just to gain the right of work.

Maybe the system made sense when was initially designed but after so many patches I think it's time to create a new one with rules that make sense.

mircea
Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Andrew, any opinion?

you can say the same thing about international students' spouses. they could stay in their countries. this is not the point. the discrepancy is when you compare the rights spouses of Canadian citizens have vs. int students's spouses. both are allowed to apply for PR as skilled worker. even having the spouse of Canadian citizen apply for PR being sponsored taked 8-9 month just for approval in principle, so 8-9 months without right of work! for int students, the moment they are in Canada spouses are allowed to work (open permit, not work permit for a certain position and company). In the mean time post graduation employment does not allow the former student to work anywhere, limiting the possibility of finding the best job or being flexible in the job search. they have to have the offer, to apply for work permit, wait for at least 40 days and if the company is still interested, to start to work.

In my oppinion both spouses of Canadian citizens as well as post graduation employment should qualify for open work permit. The argument that you might have people marrying Canadian citizens just for work does not stand because you can't control having people marrying somebody who's going to Canada with a study permit just to gain the right of work.

Maybe the system made sense when was initially designed but after so many patches I think it's time to create a new one with rules that make sense.

mircea
Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wannabe
There's always the possibility of staying in one's country of origin, working and making money while doing an outside sponsorship...

And do you think thats fair? being apart from your spouse or loved one for up to a year? its against a human right somehwere for suffering and hardship!

What are you Joe Volpes lovechild or something Shhessshh!

The bottom line is the system is so flawed its not funny, you either stay in your own country and make money away from your spouse, or you stay here together but broke. either way were the bog losers!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

I hope you answered to wannabe, not me.

And do you think thats fair? being apart from your spouse or loved one for up to a year? its against a human right somehwere for suffering and hardship!

What are you Joe Volpes lovechild or something Shhessshh!

The bottom line is the system is so flawed its not funny, you either stay in your own country and make money away from your spouse, or you stay here together but broke. either way were the bog losers!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

I hope you answered to wannabe, not me.

Yes it was to Wannabe not you. I jsut didnt get here before you posted first hehehe
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

I don't see any problem in the principle, spouses are eligible for PR status (regardless of their qualification), I think it should not be related to the Canadian economic status or place of stay.

regarding students, I think it's fair to give students spouses the right to work, because its their right to accompany their spouses and during their stay in Canada they are full time free, so they should have the right to work.

the only bizarre thing is that the time needed to process their visas is much less than spousal PR visa, I don't think 8-9 months is justified compared to a few weeks or less for students visa, there must be a better way of using the resources.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

Classist society? Funny thing you would complain about it coming from Britain (presumably). You need to chill out, love and perhaps improve your chances of employment by improving your English first.

I was just thining about the unfairness of that myself, and i can only put it down to two things, one is MONEY! basically you have to be rish to be a foreign student here, and its a classist society! look how much money you have to have to apply as a skilled worker, business investor, or NPN.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bartM
Classist society? Funny thing you would complain about it coming from Britain (presumably). You need to chill out, love and perhaps improve your chances of employment by improving your English first.
LOL you need to chill, Immigration is made for then rich, and yes I complained about it in England too! and my english is just fine thank you, i didnt realise I had to dot my eyes and cross my P's on a web forum??
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

Hon, immigration is always easier if you have money but how come there are so many poor people coming every year to Canada and succeeding? Somehow they don't whine about the classist society and build better lives for themselves even though they come from really messed up situations.

Poor little British girl, so unjustly treated by the horrible plutocratic Canada...

LOL you need to chill, Immigration is made for then rich, and yes I complained about it in England too! and my english is just fine thank you, i didnt realise I had to dot my eyes and cross my P's on a web forum??
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bartM
Hon, immigration is always easier if you have money but how come there are so many poor people coming every year to Canada and succeeding? Somehow they don't whine about the classist society and build better lives for themselves even though they come from really messed up situations.

Poor little British girl, so unjustly treated by the horrible plutocratic Canada...
Im sorry but i have niether the time or energy to have a slanging match with you, I have an immigration matter far more pressing. you neither know my situation or my story so I find it hard to believe you have such authority to pass judgement. FYI i never said i was a poor little british girl, I am very lucky and privaledged to have lived in this wonderful country for as long as I have and hope to continue doing so, i was merely commenting on the OBVIOUS flaws in the IRPA act as was the whole purpose of the OP thread.
in the spirit of Christmas and maturity il agree to disagree with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.