British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Bit of a rant but help needed also (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/bit-rant-but-help-needed-also-641260/)

julescg Nov 19th 2009 10:51 am

Bit of a rant but help needed also

Hi there

we got our passports back yesterday with the visas in, and still they have used my maiden name! When they asked for our passports and the updated details form I filled it in using my married name as that is what is on my passport! I have now 3 times informed them that I have got married and changed my name - my details have changed to married status but they keep using my maiden name! I emailed them straight away yesterday evening to ask if this is correct and if I can use the visa - no response yet (but I'll give them a few more days as I know how slow they can be) - has this happened to anyone else??? We were on the old system and originaly applied a few years ago (before we were married, hence where they have my maiden name from), then when they asked for all our information in February this year I informed them of change of name and status and sent all relelvant marriage certificates!

Next step - did most of you that have made the move, go over to validate your visa before moving there properly? we need to go back before 10th Sept next year, and we're not going to be ready to move there by then, so we are planning a trip to validate them. Our form says Toronto on it (as that is what we'd originally thought) but since seeing Nova Scotia we'd like to move there. Has anyone said one thing on their application but then moved somewhere else?

cheers - I'm sure there will be tonnes more questions in the next 18months!

Coffeepot Nov 19th 2009 12:27 pm

Re: Bit of a rant but help needed also

Originally Posted by julescg (Post 8109849)
Hi there

we got our passports back yesterday with the visas in, and still they have used my maiden name! When they asked for our passports and the updated details form I filled it in using my married name as that is what is on my passport! I have now 3 times informed them that I have got married and changed my name - my details have changed to married status but they keep using my maiden name! I emailed them straight away yesterday evening to ask if this is correct and if I can use the visa - no response yet (but I'll give them a few more days as I know how slow they can be) - has this happened to anyone else??? We were on the old system and originaly applied a few years ago (before we were married, hence where they have my maiden name from), then when they asked for all our information in February this year I informed them of change of name and status and sent all relelvant marriage certificates!

Next step - did most of you that have made the move, go over to validate your visa before moving there properly? we need to go back before 10th Sept next year, and we're not going to be ready to move there by then, so we are planning a trip to validate them. Our form says Toronto on it (as that is what we'd originally thought) but since seeing Nova Scotia we'd like to move there. Has anyone said one thing on their application but then moved somewhere else?

From what i have read on here more and more people are going over to Land then returning to sell up, esp in the current climate, as long as you land you have time so go for it , also Congratulations even if they got the name wrong, its happened before,
Email and ask them what they want you to do, did they return your marriage certs ?

julescg Nov 19th 2009 12:32 pm

cheers for that - I think we only had to send them copies anyway, it just so frustrating trying to get hold of them!

Coffeepot Nov 19th 2009 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by julescg (Post 8109970)
cheers for that - I think we only had to send them copies anyway, it just so frustrating trying to get hold of them!

Tell me about it ;)

Lemonfish Nov 19th 2009 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by julescg (Post 8109849)
Our form says Toronto on it (as that is what we'd originally thought) but since seeing Nova Scotia we'd like to move there. Has anyone said one thing on their application but then moved somewhere else?

Yes, we did this - had Toronto on the forms but landed in Ottawa. My understanding (and experience) is that aside from making sure you don't land in Quebec, it doesn't matter.

julescg Nov 20th 2009 7:08 am

thanks Lemonfish

actually got a response from them - I've now got to send all the passports and the paper visa back to them to get it corrected!!!! Well at least it is now sorted (fingers crossed it comes back correct!)