Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

A bit of an odd scenario (I think)

A bit of an odd scenario (I think)

Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:33 am
Just Joined

mrpmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A bit of an odd scenario (I think)

Originally Posted by macadian
Ditto....Seems we have some who sit on the side lines hoping to pounce upon the unsuspecting poster ....Mr 'overtly sensitive' PC rears his ugly head again .
There is always someone who is willing to be offended on someone else's behalf
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

basildog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mrpmorris
I currently work from home as a computer programmer.

I'd like to sell my house, buy a house in Canada (outright), and continue to do the same remote job for my employer in the UK. This seems like an odd scenario to me, emigrating to Canada but continuing to work remotely for a UK employer.

Are immigration going to frown at this, or are they going to think "Great, he's not taking any jobs AND he's bringing money in to the community"?

What would be my best approach? What do I need to be aware of? Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks.

Pete
Hi

We have a similar situation my OH works for UK company as a programmer. We had already applied for PR when his company offered this and we owned a house in Canada. Our agent told us we still needed PR or work permits to allow healthcare and our daughter to attend school. Also you can only stay for upto 6 months and vistor visa may not be renewed. He also outlined things like car insurance increased costs. We waited for PR.

Chris
Old Feb 16th 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Old Feb 16th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

julievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nice

Hi Pete.

I've got a similar scenario where I also work in IT and my UK employer has agreed to continue employing me after I have moved to Canada. I'm applying for my PR as a FSW but am not sure if mentioning that I already have work would be a good idea or a bad idea for my application.

Do you have any more information on this situation?

Thanks
Julie
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julievonz
Hi Pete.

I've got a similar scenario where I also work in IT and my UK employer has agreed to continue employing me after I have moved to Canada. I'm applying for my PR as a FSW but am not sure if mentioning that I already have work would be a good idea or a bad idea for my application.

Do you have any more information on this situation?

Thanks
Julie
Is your job offer actually approved by HRSDC? If not, then it won't make any difference.

If you're applying as FSW under the list of 38 occupations in demand, then make sure you apply asap before the list changes.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

The OP could look into provincial nominee programmes; not sure where in Canada you want to go, but Nova Scotia has a nominee programme for people without a physical "job" to go to. This would give you PR and away you go!

Good luck!