Bit of an odd query really.

Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of an odd query really.

Originally Posted by sasquatch
Erm, I haven't, not sure why they would ever refuse me entrance to Canada. Have no criminal record, I'm a British citizen, have been to Canada on numerous occasions and have always left on time. I've even bought and sold property in Canada, submitted and paid a tax return.

Have you ever had any experience of being refused entry, never heard of this happening, cannot believe it's a regular occurrence and they have to give you a reason.

If we had listed to all the doom and gloom mongers we would still be sitting very very miserably in the uk

we would not have had the time of our lives over the last year

go for it you only get one life

Last edited by chumley; Apr 27th 2009 at 12:46 am.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:47 am
Just Joined

sasquatch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chumley
If we had listed to all the doom and gloom mongers we would still be sitting very very miserably in the uk

I'm really lucky, I love the UK, but I also love Canada and if I'm being honest I think it'd be a better place to bring up kids. Neither of us are leaving our jobs, or selling up in the UK, so if it doesn't work out then we'll head home.

I agree you only live once and who wants to live a safe and boring life, eh(for our Canadian friends) ?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Does this happen often ? Whilst I understand that we have no automatic right of entry, it must be amazingly rare for someone to be refused entry without a reason beng given.
No, definitely doesn't happen often but just wanted to point out that entry to Canada is not an automatic right.

Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:50 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley

I don't really see the doom and gloom to be honest, more in the way of offering caution. The way i see it, the OP will probably be just fine & dandy but when you have a young family included in your plans i think you need to be a little more careful and less care free.

All in my opinion of course
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really lucky, I love the UK, but I also love Canada and if I'm being honest I think it'd be a better place to bring up kids. Neither of us are leaving our jobs, or selling up in the UK, so if it doesn't work out then we'll head home.

I agree you only live once and who wants to live a safe and boring life, eh(for our Canadian friends) ?
One thing that I thought of last night - you mentioned that your wife would be on maternity leave but don't forget she won't be eligible for maternity pay if she's not resident in the UK so you'll need to factor that in to your calculations, as well as things like no child benefit etc.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by el_richo
I don't really see the doom and gloom to be honest, more in the way of offering caution. The way i see it, the OP will probably be just fine & dandy but when you have a young family included in your plans i think you need to be a little more careful and less care free.

All in my opinion of course
I kind of agree with you, if we were taking the kids out of school and selling up in the UK I'd be a load more cautious. As the children will both be under 2 years old, and because we'll still have a base in the UK then if the worst happens then we can simply go home and carry on with our old lifes again.

Even though I owned a holiday home in Canada previously we only stayed there for a month at a time, just think if we can head to Canada for a year and test the move then we can see if it'll work for us.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
One thing that I thought of last night - you mentioned that your wife would be on maternity leave but don't forget she won't be eligible for maternity pay if she's not resident in the UK so you'll need to factor that in to your calculations, as well as things like no child benefit etc.
We'll still be residents in the UK, still have a house here, still be paying tax here. Basically this first step will simply be an extended holiday.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:59 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I kind of agree with you, if we were taking the kids out of school and selling up in the UK I'd be a load more cautious. As the children will both be under 2 years old, and because we'll still have a base in the UK then if the worst happens then we can simply go home and carry on with our old lifes again.

Even though I owned a holiday home in Canada previously we only stayed there for a month at a time, just think if we can head to Canada for a year and test the move then we can see if it'll work for us.
Both kids under 2 years old? You're a brave man I can barely look after myself.

So in short, what seem to be the advice given is.......go ahead, pop out there, enjoy every second of your stay BUT just be aware that there is a teeny weeny possibility that if you leave canada just before your 6 months are you may not be allowed back in as you'll go over your 6 months per year allocation. Unless you have an extension of course.

Enjoy the journey
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

We'll still be residents in the UK, still have a house here, still be paying tax here. Basically this first step will simply be an extended holiday.
You definitely won't be eligible for child benefit anyway - you need to inform them if you are leaving the country for longer than 8 weeks. You'd only get it if you were going for 8 weeks or less (or 12 weeks if it is due to treatment for something or a family bereavement/emergency etc). I would assume that the same applies to maternity pay, but maybe not.