Bit of an odd query really.

Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:05 am
Just Joined

sasquatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bit of an odd query really.

Hello,

Hope you don't mind bearing with me whilst I try and ask as many questions as possible in the most confusing way imaginable. Firstly, I hope this question is in the right section, whilst not strictly an immigration question it does seem to be the best fit available.

Bit of background, have been to Canada on numerous occasions, love the place and think we might like to live their full time. We have previously owned a home in Canmore, Alberta before flogging it 18 months ago. Anyway, my wife is a deputy head at a large school, and 5 months knocked up, as this will be our second child in a really short span of time (lucky me) she has decided to take the full year off on maternity leave, I own my own business which allows me to work from anywhere. To cut a potentially very long story short we've decided to head over to Canada for 12 months in September and see if we really can live abroad full time, if we can great then we'll take it from there, if not we'll both bugger off home and back to work as normal.

It is our plan to enter Canada as visitors, I believe we can stay for 6 months at a time. I'll be flying back to the UK every couple of months, as I understand it my 6 month eligibility starts everytime I re-enter Canada, is this correct? My wife and kids will no doubt head south of the border before the 6 months is up to make sure we do not overstay our welcome. So my question is can I just bowl up at the immigration desk with a wife, 2 kids and about 3 tonnes of luggage explain we'll probably be staying for a while, but we're not exactly sure when we'll be leaving? Is there a more discrete and effective way of doing this?

As effectively 'tourists' are we able to register with a doctor ?

We'll need a car, what's the best way of doing this ? Can tourists buy cars ? Does anyone do long term rentals (above 60 days)?

Is the tourist route the right way to go ?

Also, bank accounts. Are we still able to open bank accounts from England or do you actually have to be there in person now ?

If all works out ok then I'll establish a branch of my business in Canada and do an inter company transfer, which apparently makes the whole process pretty simple.

Anyway, thanks in advance, your help is greatly appreciated.

Ian

Last edited by sasquatch; Apr 26th 2009 at 9:07 am.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of an odd query really.

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum.

You can certainly go and live in Canada as a visitor but a few things to bear in mind. Firstly, you need to convince immigration officials that you will be leaving at the end of the 6 months you will (probably) be granted when you enter Canada - so don't turn up with all your worldly possessions etc.

You will not be eligible for any healthcare (so no, cannot register with a doctor) and will therefore need very good travel insurance to cover any medical emergencies, plus your children will not be eligible for schooling (I'm guessing this is not an issue as they are too young but mention it just in case).

You will need to prove proof that you can support yourselves - I can't remember the exact figures but if you search for posts by one of our members called Chumley, you should be able to find out how much you'll need to show you've got. $20k springs to mind for some reason, but check Chumley's posts as she's currently living in Canada as a visitor with her husband.

You can open bank accounts in England - check out the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) for details on this. And I believe you can buy a car no problems, not sure about a driving licence though but again check the Wiki. And budget a lot for insurance!

The good news is that you don't need to fly back to the UK or go to the border to extend your visitor status, I believe you can apply via post.

Lastly, do bear in mind that any kind of 'official' visa is likely to take at least 6 months to get, so you'll need to factor that in to your calculations if you want to stay.

This Wiki article may also help.................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Living...a_as_a_Visitor

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 26th 2009 at 9:20 am.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi Ian and welcome to the forum.

You can certainly go and live in Canada as a visitor but a few things to bear in mind. Firstly, you need to convince immigration officials that you will be leaving at the end of the 6 months you will (probably) be granted when you enter Canada - so don't turn up with all your worldly possessions etc.

You will not be eligible for any healthcare (so no, cannot register with a doctor) and will therefore need very good travel insurance to cover any medical emergencies, plus your children will not be eligible for schooling (I'm guessing this is not an issue as they are too young but mention it just in case).

You will need to prove proof that you can support yourselves - I can't remember the exact figures but if you search for posts by one of our members called Chumley, you should be able to find out how much you'll need to show you've got. $20k springs to mind for some reason, but check Chumley's posts as she's currently living in Canada as a visitor with her husband.

You can open bank accounts in England - check out the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) for details on this. And I believe you can buy a car no problems, not sure about a driving licence though but again check the Wiki. And budget a lot for insurance!

The good news is that you don't need to fly back to the UK or go to the border to extend your visitor status, I believe you can apply via post.

Lastly, do bear in mind that any kind of 'official' visa is likely to take at least 6 months to get, so you'll need to factor that in to your calculations if you want to stay.

This Wiki article may also help.................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Living...a_as_a_Visitor

Best of luck.
as christmas says yes we are here as visitors been here a year in fact got 18 months on extensions

agree with the above
note you can register with a doc if you can find one but of course you will have to pay for visits

when we came we only had the usual holiday makers 2 bags and got bits and pieces shipped over ( only a couple of small boxes and my husbands guitars) we also have our 2 dogs with us but they arrived a couple of days after us.

We sailed though immgration no probs but we did get searched which was nerve racking
turns out the drug sniffer doggys liked the pong on my husbands bag wich we had kept agility training treats in ( and it was washed before we came)

we said we were on hoilday which was absolutely true as we did not know if we would would like NS until we got here

extending visitors visas has been no problem but I did prepare a good case with loads of evidence
we opened a canadian account from the uk but also opened 2 more since we have been here and even a credit card was no prob
huge luck
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your help, it really is appreciated. I have a couple of further questions if you don't mind

As it's maternity leave we're planning on leaving the UK when the baby is about a month old, our other child will be about 18 months. Insurance is fine, that's all organised already. If we were staying in the UK the baby would have its immunisations at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and then finally 16 weeks. We don't really want to hang around in the UK waiting for the injections to be done, I understand we can't register with a doctor using the state health insurance scheme, however does Canada have a private healthcare scheme like we do in the UK where we can get these things done for a fee?

Sorry, I know it's a really specific question so no worries if you don't have the answer.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasquatch
does Canada have a private healthcare scheme like we do in the UK where we can get these things done for a fee?
Simple answer - nope, no private healthcare in Canada, hence why you need very good travel insurance particularly when travelling with two little ones. Not sure about whether you could get innoculations done for a fee though, but they'll probably be different jabs from the UK anyway!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 26th 2009 at 9:44 am.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chumley
as christmas says yes we are here as visitors been here a year in fact got 18 months on extensions

agree with the above
note you can register with a doc if you can find one but of course you will have to pay for visits

when we came we only had the usual holiday makers 2 bags and got bits and pieces shipped over ( only a couple of small boxes and my husbands guitars) we also have our 2 dogs with us but they arrived a couple of days after us.

We sailed though immgration no probs but we did get searched which was nerve racking
turns out the drug sniffer doggys liked the pong on my husbands bag wich we had kept agility training treats in ( and it was washed before we came)

we said we were on hoilday which was absolutely true as we did not know if we would would like NS until we got here

extending visitors visas has been no problem but I did prepare a good case with loads of evidence
we opened a canadian account from the uk but also opened 2 more since we have been here and even a credit card was no prob
huge luck
Thanks for all the info !

We'll be renting a house and all our worldly goods from the sale of our old house are in storage in Calgary so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Did you have to provide proof of savings etc, if so how much and what do you have to show them ?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your help, it really is appreciated. I have a couple of further questions if you don't mind

As it's maternity leave we're planning on leaving the UK when the baby is about a month old, our other child will be about 18 months. Insurance is fine, that's all organised already. If we were staying in the UK the baby would have its immunisations at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and then finally 16 weeks. We don't really want to hang around in the UK waiting for the injections to be done, I understand we can't register with a doctor using the state health insurance scheme, however does Canada have a private healthcare scheme like we do in the UK where we can get these things done for a fee?

Sorry, I know it's a really specific question so no worries if you don't have the answer.
you can register with a doctor in canada thats not a problem we have but we have to pay a fee
no private health care as we know it in the uk
The doc can charge what he/she likes
and it varies hugely for example $30 no matter what for with the doc we have registered with ( however he only works 2 days each fortnight) for the walk in clinic its $140 to simply walk in the door

it will vary from province to province aswell

so yes can register with a doc if you can find one if not then you simply go to a walk in centre( hospital) and ask for the jabs and pay the out of country fee.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the info !

We'll be renting a house and all our worldly goods from the sale of our old house are in storage in Calgary so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Did you have to provide proof of savings etc, if so how much and what do you have to show them ?

no proof at POE for us ,for extensions it was at least twice the landing funds plus fully comp ex pat insurance have a look at my posts ive written stacks on extensions etc

plus canadian property deeds and monthly income from the uk ,wasnt asked for any of this but we got what we wanted ( 18 months stay)so it must have worked

good luck
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice

It is our plan to enter Canada as visitors, I believe we can stay for 6 months at a time. I'll be flying back to the UK every couple of months, as I understand it my 6 month eligibility starts everytime I re-enter Canada, is this correct? My wife and kids will no doubt head south of the border before the 6 months is up to make sure we do not overstay our welcome.
Have you thought about what will happen if on your return to Canada from one of those trips to the UK you are denied entry? Or to your wife and kids if they are denied entry crossing back from the US?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Erm, I haven't, not sure why they would ever refuse me entrance to Canada. Have no criminal record, I'm a British citizen, have been to Canada on numerous occasions and have always left on time. I've even bought and sold property in Canada, submitted and paid a tax return.

Have you ever had any experience of being refused entry, never heard of this happening, cannot believe it's a regular occurrence and they have to give you a reason.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

as I understand it my 6 month eligibility starts everytime I re-enter Canada, is this correct? My wife and kids will no doubt head south of the border before the 6 months is up to make sure we do not overstay our welcome.
Ian
My understanding is that you're eligible to stay 6 months out of every 12. So unless you apply for an extension i'm not sure it's as clear cut as just popping out of Canada for a few days/weeks and re-entering to get another 6 months visitor visa.

Might be wrong and it may be possible but that's my understanding.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

where are you going to be living? (just being really nosy - no idea about legalities of visitor status lol)

we are in a similar situation - furniture in storage in calgary... although in our case we haven't sold our place in canmore, we are waiting to see if we will be granted pr. it's rented unfurnished currently.

our plans were changed with the birth of our youngest (of 3), whose (mild) disability means that we may not get pr, no matter how many tax returns we have received and paid, or how many times we have entered and left the country lol. we're currently waiting for medical requests.

so same sort of scenario, but different.

just curious if you were going to back to canmore, really...
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Have you ever had any experience of being refused entry, never heard of this happening, cannot believe it's a regular occurrence and they have to give you a reason.
No they don't! They can refuse you entry for any reason - there is no automatic right to enter Canada for anybody other than Canadian citizens, the rest of us just take a chance. So remember they are within their rights to refuse you at any point, and do not have to give you any reason at all. It's unlikely but still!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by debbiem
where are you going to be living? (just being really nosy - no idea about legalities of visitor status lol)

we are in a similar situation - furniture in storage in calgary... although in our case we haven't sold our place in canmore, we are waiting to see if we will be granted pr. it's rented unfurnished currently.

our plans were changed with the birth of our youngest (of 3), whose (mild) disability means that we may not get pr, no matter how many tax returns we have received and paid, or how many times we have entered and left the country lol. we're currently waiting for medical requests.

so same sort of scenario, but different.

just curious if you were going to back to canmore, really...
Hello,

Not sure where we're going to be living yet, will probably pop over for a week or so in August and find somewhere in Canmore. We got really really lucky, we sold a townhouse on the Golden Eagle estate about 18 months ago hoping to buy something else in South Canmore, my wife being heavily pregnant decided she didn't like the hills anymore! In between the market has died a bit, what we'll do is head over in September and decide whether we want to stay there long term if we do we'll buy again, don't think the market is going to take of again anytime soon so we're in no rush.

Ian

Last edited by sasquatch; Apr 27th 2009 at 12:44 am.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No they don't! They can refuse you entry for any reason - there is no automatic right to enter Canada for anybody other than Canadian citizens, the rest of us just take a chance. So remember they are within their rights to refuse you at any point, and do not have to give you any reason at all. It's unlikely but still!
Does this happen often ? Whilst I understand that we have no automatic right of entry, it must be amazingly rare for someone to be refused entry without a reason beng given.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.