Wikiposts

Bit of Form Help

Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bit of Form Help

Good evening all,

Hope everyone is well?

My wife and I have been quietly beavering away, saving money and getting the foundations in place for Canada and we're finally at the point now where we are filling out the forms for a study permit (for her) and Open work permit (for me) and we've just got a couple of questions about the process.

We'll have the requisite cash in place at the end of this month and then want to submit the forms as soon as possible so that we can get an answer before I need to hand in my notice with work (3 month notice period and we've booked a flight on Christmas day!), but I have read that immigration likes the cash to have been in your account for a number of months prior to submitting, so I just want to check if this will have an effect or not?

Also, for the Open Work Permit, there's a section for employment history for 10 years, which is not a problem, but I do have 2 questions around it:

1) I've had more jobs than there is space on the form and we're submitting the forms electronically, on the website it says to download a second form and then put the extra info in that one, however, I'm struggling to see how I can do that for an eform? Can anyone help?

2) I've had 3 positions within one company, should I detail each position, or should I just state what my final role was upon leaving?

We're really excited about the whole process and it's starting to get real, but it's fun!
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of Form Help

Which country are you both citizens of?

If UK citizens on UK passports then I suggest just applying for the study permit and paying that fee.
Once she has been issued the letter of invitation you just fly to Canada and on arrival ask to see Immigration to be issued with the actual study permit. Its at this point you then ask for an Spousal Open Work Permit based on her study permit and pay the $100 OWP fee and $155 work permit fee. No forms to fill out.
Thats of course after applying for the ETA before leaving and paying the $7.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lancastrian!

We are UK citizens, but were under the impression that we needed to get all that in order before we flew over? Is that not the case?

My wife's course starts on the 4th Jan so we've got the University attendance sorted.

I also wanted ot get the Open work permit in principa (is that a phrase?) so that I could start liaising with companies before we fly over and try and get something lined up
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Obitim
Hi Lancastrian!

We are UK citizens, but were under the impression that we needed to get all that in order before we flew over? Is that not the case?

My wife's course starts on the 4th Jan so we've got the University attendance sorted.

I also wanted ot get the Open work permit in principa (is that a phrase?) so that I could start liaising with companies before we fly over and try and get something lined up
You won't actually get the physical work permit until you arrive in Canada.
As a UK citizen you can apply for the SOWP at the Port Of Entry on arrival which results in not having to fill forms out and applying through the VAC.
The wife will still need to do that for the study permit though.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, so there's no value in me applying for the OWP prior at all?

And also, would it be automatic, or would I need to satisfy soem sort of criteria (beyond proving we're married I suppose! )
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah, so there's no value in me applying for the OWP prior at all?

And also, would it be automatic, or would I need to satisfy soem sort of criteria (beyond proving we're married I suppose! )
Just that you are married. Its automatic provided you are not inadmissible for any other reason.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Not that I'm aware of...

We thought we had to apply for it, that changes things up a bit then!

Are you able to help on the questions about the funding?
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not that I'm aware of...

We thought we had to apply for it, that changes things up a bit then!

Are you able to help on the questions about the funding?
Normally you would need the funds to pay for the 1st years tuition and sufficient funds to survive on. There is no set limit per se of what these funds are. Its also about having access to funds via other means as most students rely on the bank of mum and dad to pay for their tuition.
Students can work up to 20 hrs per week during classes and full time during breaks.
Don't overthink the funding as the spouse would also be expected to find employment especially with a SOWP.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, the plan is for us both to work...

I've been trying to find some more info about the SOWP and if it's automatic or judged but I'm struggling!

We had a bit of a panic after speaking with the int. student services at my wifes uni...

Also, a bit worried about proving we'll not stay beyond out visas, but will have to see how that goes I guess!
Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:05 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Normally you would need the funds to pay for the 1st years tuition and sufficient funds to survive on. There is no set limit per se of what these funds are. Its also about having access to funds via other means as most students rely on the bank of mum and dad to pay for their tuition.
Students can work up to 20 hrs per week during classes and full time during breaks.
Don't overthink the funding as the spouse would also be expected to find employment especially with a SOWP.
1. Actually there is a set limit. Applicants must show funds for the 1st year's tuition, plus living expenses:Get the right documents – Study in Canada

Number of persons All provinces except Quebec Quebec Single student Tuition plus $10,000 for a 12-month period (or $833 per month)

+ one family member $4,000 for a 12-month period (or $333 per month)
$5,100 more for a person 18 years of age or older for a 12-month period (or $425 per month)
$3,800 more for a person under 18 years of age for a 12-month period (or $317 per month)
+ each additional family member $3,000 for a 12-month period per dependent child of any age (or $255 per month) $5,125 more for a person 18 years of age or older for a 12-month period (or $427 per month)
$1,903 more for a person under 18 years of age for a 12-month period (or $159 per month)
If there are foreign-exchange control measures in your country, you must provide proof that the exchange control authorities will allow you to export funds for all of your expenses.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

We'll have the minimum as of this month as we checked the website and worked out savings around that
Old Jul 11th 2017, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

I have a second question!

We're currently doing our letters of support for the permits, and are stating that we will leave at the end of my wife's studies, however, while we reside in Canada we will also be wanting to apply for PR.

Should we mention this on our supporting letters? Or leave it off?
Old Jul 12th 2017, 3:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Never lie on any Government form or to any Government representative - but equally, don't put forward any information that hasn't been requested.

No, I personally wouldn't mention it...
Old Jul 12th 2017, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Cheers Siouxie,

So we shouldn't volunteer the information, but if we're asked outright then give them the honest answer?
Old Jul 12th 2017, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxie cannot tell you what to write on an immigration Application. You have to decide yourself or seek professional help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.