Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Bit of a complicated move - advice welcomed

Wikiposts

Bit of a complicated move - advice welcomed

Old Aug 11th 2008, 5:49 am
Just Joined

tompkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bit of a complicated move - advice welcomed

Hi

Our heads are spinning trying to get our heads around the finer details of this...

We are a family of 2 working adults in skilled worker categories (no problem with points - husband has 81...we believe), a 15 year-old, a 19 year-old and a 20 year-old, and an 80 year-old mum - all of whom wish to emmigrate to Canada - as near as possible together (we all live together here in the UK and are all on UK passports).

I realise mum will have to come out on the family sponsor scheme (she is independently wealthy enough to look after herself and then some, but I believe this is the only way to do this?) but what are the chances of getting someone of that age out with us, please? Is it a given that if we are happy to sponsor, she will get permission - or will the issue of age be paramount and mean she automatically won't get in.

Then - the 15 year-old isn't a problem - but what about the other two? They are both undergraduate students in the UK; the oldest will finish her degree here and hopes then to take a Masters in Canada - so that she has a Canadian qualification. As she will still be in full-time education and effectively dependent on us - can she come in 'under' our application, please? The same question stands for the slightly younger 'child' - currently 19. She would possibly transfer her undergrad degree to Canada (although some of these age details depend upon how long it takes to get our application through, of course - it may take so long they'll both be 'finished' by then!).

If anyone has any advice or info, I would be very grateful - we have managed to get a lot of info off the usual sites (including, of course, the CIC), but I can't find the last bits and pieces that will actually tell us whether what we want to do is practical.

Oh - I forgot to ask - will the embassy talk to us and be helpful or do they regard it is 'send in your forms' and that's it?

Thanks!!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:00 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of a complicated move - advice welcomed

Hi

Originally Posted by tompkins
Hi

Our heads are spinning trying to get our heads around the finer details of this...

We are a family of 2 working adults in skilled worker categories (no problem with points - husband has 81...we believe), a 15 year-old, a 19 year-old and a 20 year-old, and an 80 year-old mum - all of whom wish to emmigrate to Canada - as near as possible together (we all live together here in the UK and are all on UK passports).

I realise mum will have to come out on the family sponsor scheme (she is independently wealthy enough to look after herself and then some, but I believe this is the only way to do this?) but what are the chances of getting someone of that age out with us, please? Is it a given that if we are happy to sponsor, she will get permission - or will the issue of age be paramount and mean she automatically won't get in.

Then - the 15 year-old isn't a problem - but what about the other two? They are both undergraduate students in the UK; the oldest will finish her degree here and hopes then to take a Masters in Canada - so that she has a Canadian qualification. As she will still be in full-time education and effectively dependent on us - can she come in 'under' our application, please? The same question stands for the slightly younger 'child' - currently 19. She would possibly transfer her undergrad degree to Canada (although some of these age details depend upon how long it takes to get our application through, of course - it may take so long they'll both be 'finished' by then!).

If anyone has any advice or info, I would be very grateful - we have managed to get a lot of info off the usual sites (including, of course, the CIC), but I can't find the last bits and pieces that will actually tell us whether what we want to do is practical.

Oh - I forgot to ask - will the embassy talk to us and be helpful or do they regard it is 'send in your forms' and that's it?

Thanks!!
1. Applying as a skilled worker, unless your job skills are included in the "priority list" that is coming this fall, your application could either be returned without processing or will languish in the backlog forever.
2. As long as the children are "still dependent" not married or in a c/law relationship and under the age of 22 there ages are locked in.
3. As to the mother, she would have a very long wait. If you receive your PR status, you could sponsor the mother, once you have reached the Low Income cutoff figure in the year previous to the sponsorship from Canadian sources. The processing of the sponsorship (todays processing times) is 24 months at Mississauga, and the processing time at London is 5-12 months, and she would have to pass the medical.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Hi -

Thanks for that - all very clear.

A couple of quick return queries, if you have time, please:

For the children - is it the age at the time of application, or the age when they come to rubber stamp the forms? Given the length of time some apps are taking, it's a bit of an issue for us.

With mum and medical - is there any info on what is included and excluded anywhere?

I thought Canadians paid for med ins, in any case - won't that be set at the appropriate rate for anything that might be wrong with her? It's not like the NHS, I thought, so I'm puzzled about why it's an issue... I'm sure you're right about it - I'm just - puzzled !

Finally - if SW is taking so long - is there a 'better' category to go for? We should have one job to go to, and I have my own company, but I guess we could go the 'Investor' route (if the house sells... ?)Would that be quicker?

Thanks again -

tompkins

Last edited by tompkins; Aug 11th 2008 at 6:13 am. Reason: forgot something...
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:14 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi -

For the children - is it the age at the time of application, or the age when they come to rubber stamp the forms? Given the length of time some apps are taking, it's a bit of an issue for us.

With mum and medical - is there any info on what is included and excluded anywhere?

I thought Canadians paid for med ins, in any case - won't that be set at the appropriate rate for anything that might be wrong with her? It's not like the NHS, I thought, so I'm puzzled about why it's an issue... I'm sure you're right about it - I'm just - puzzled !

Thanks again -

tompkins
1. Age at time of application.
2. No, no list of diseases or conditions, but if treatment costs more than the Canadian average, (about $5000) per year, then it is usually a refusal for excessive demand.
3. Rates are in BC $54 per month for a single. So you can see that it doesn't pay for medical treatment. There are no graduated rates.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:16 am
Just Joined

That's great - thanks so much - very kind of you to take the time.

tompkins
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi -

Thanks again -

tompkins
I thought that this Wiki article may be helpful....................

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medica...an_Immigration

And this one about medical insurance may help too.............

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance-Canada

The Wiki (on blue bar at top of page), is full of information if you haven't already discovered it, so do grab a cuppa and get reading it! It should answer any questions for you.

If time is of the essence to you then forget the Skilled Worker route. As PMM rightly said, all applications received since Feb 2008 have been on hold until changes are introduced later this year, and it is anticipated that any without arranged employment will simply be rejected. Even if yours is accepted, remember the backlog of nearly one million applications, and the processing times of 5-8 years which was before they put a stop on things - so that time is likely to increase even further.

Have a look at the Wiki for other options. Put simply, you need to find a job to stand any chance of getting to Canada within the next decade!

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 11th 2008 at 6:46 am.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Many thanks - I'm a-reading, I'm a-reading!

tompkins
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Well - thanks for the reading - turns out husband is in an 'occupation under pressure' - which should help, no?

t
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well - thanks for the reading - turns out husband is in an 'occupation under pressure' - which should help, no?

t
It may well do. Concentrate your job search on the province(s) he is on the OUP list for and fingers crossed!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm really sorry to hear that. It's very tricky because, as you say, you think you will all contribute greatly to Canada (I say 'you think' rather than the definite 'we will' which you have said, as you just don't know if you would like it there, or if your children would get a Canadian education but then decide to work elsewhere etc).

But unfortunately she wouldn't be able to go under your application so she'd need to immigrate under her own steam, and that process does take a while. I'm assuming that there is no possibility of you going without her at all? How would she feel about that?

I'm really sorry you've decided Canada is not for you for that reason, but wish you the best of luck for the future.

P.S. I have to ask, how are you so sure that all 3 of your children will end up with master degrees?!?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I can understand exactly why you'd want to take her with you, I'd do exactly the same if my mother was elderly and on her own. Thankfully she and my father are still living life to the full in their 60's and will just come and visit us very regularly, but we are lucky to not have to worry about them. My 93 year old grandfather is another matter however! But I can see how you can't contemplate leaving her behind.

Your children sound fantastic, well done on raising them well (hope ours, age 3 and 1 are similar at that age!!). Probably shouldn't tell you that at age 15 I was consider a 'dead cert' for Oxford uni, got straight A's in GCSE's, etc, etc, and then at 17 went off the rails and didn't even finish my A levels, never mind go to uni. Ended up waitressing, working in pubs and travelling around the world for 3 years!! Let's hope your 15 year old doesn't rebel like I did!!

Best of luck wherever you end up, I hope you find somewhere that suits all of you and where you can take your mother.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Ta!