Birth Tourism

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birth Tourism

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

I don't know where you are getting this information, but I posted the correct information earlier.

Who is a Canadian citizen?

* In general, you are a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada. You are not a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada and at the time of your birth, your parents were neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents, and at least one parent had diplomatic status in Canada. Notice the AND

Im not getting my information from anywhere, I was simply commenting on Cdnshaz's post.

And earlier I was comparing it and to the fact my friend and his wife (Canadian and Austrian respectively) who are currently living in the UK are due to have their first child there, I asked them if it would have British citizenship as it would be born in Britain, they said no as neither of its parents were British, so I was just comparing that case to that of the couple DBD33 was asking about, thats all. Different country similar scenario.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
I thought if parents were here illegally or visitor visa, child then takes on nationality of mother. Am I not reading this right..

However, Section 3(2) of the Current Act contains an exception to the above rule, at least for persons born in Canada after February 15, 1977. It states that Canadian citizenship is not granted to a child born in Canada if, at the time of his/her birth, neither of his/her parents was a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident and either parent was:
Misleading and wrong information.

Section 3(2) of the Act refers to diplomats and official guests only:
http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/sta...85-c-c-29.html

There has been discussion at different stages about extending this exclusion to cases where neither parent is a Canadian citizen/PR but nothing ever came of it. There is scope for "birth tourism" but realistically, only fairly rich non-Canadians can make use of it.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Thats an interesting question, personally I was lead to believe being born in a country would entile you to citizenship, however a friend of mine who is a Canadian married to an Austrian wife (who has Canadian citizenship) are both currently living and working in London, UK and are British tax residents, they have both said they will move back to Canada eventually.

However she has recently fell pregnant, and I jokingly said to my friend does this mean that the little one will be a Brit? and apparently not, the new child will be entiled to Canadian and/or Austrian citizenship and passport, but not British as neither parents are British, which I dont understand as British people who have migrated to Canada who then have children are allowed Canadian passports....I assume this is because their parents became Canadian citizens? this is the only difference I can see, so perhaps the child of this couple wont be granted Canadian citizenship as the parents are not Canadian citizens, it seems a new born must have to have stronger links to a country other than just being physically born there?
If either parent has "permanent residence" when the the child is born, then the child will be British.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...United_Kingdom

The Canadian parent may have permanent residence by application (ILR), while the Austrian parent may get it automatically after 5 years working in Britain.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:57 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

How easy is it for the couple to enter Canada in the first place? Is it as visa waiver country they are coming from.

I ask only as pre Finland in EU, and with a work permit & visa, I was challenged on any intent to get pregnant (at 19, at University, on a finnish government scheme), or give birth whilst there, register at police station etc.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

anewPR is on a distinguished road

Would defaulting on their medical bills make them inadmissible to Canada in the future?

Also, I think 5000 cad is a little optimistic. From what I have read in other forums as well as Canadian newspapers etc, an average birth costs more like 10,000cad, with the cost soaring sky high for any complications. Plus if the baby is late arriving, the couples time line would be very close and if they were out of status before the birth, would be either forced to leave Canada (not possible due to late stage pregnancy) or remain illegally until the baby is born and have a removal order against them.

Are people really that desperate to move to Canada?

To wait at least 18 years, then have the child financially able to sponsor them, then wait the 5 years plus for the PR to go through seems way over the top to me.

And this is why CIC are so suspicious of people and why so many are being refused Temporary Visitor Visa's, when there are people out there wanting to scam the system.

They really do mess the system up for the genuine ones.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Is it as visa waiver country they are coming from.
No.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anewPR
Are people really that desperate to move to Canada?
Yes.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:45 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

It bothers me that the rich can manipulate the system this way.

Bothered.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
It bothers me that the rich can manipulate the system this way.

Bothered.
I doubt that they're rich. I expect they are, in fact, dirt poor and at risk of violence. I guess that people already here, most of whom came as refugees at a time of greater instability in their home country, would be putting up the money.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:59 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
No.
Ah, there may be a challenge on entry then I suppose or via the visa system.
I don't know if Canada are that sensitive to it.

Originally Posted by dbd33
I doubt that they're rich. I expect they are, in fact, dirt poor and at risk of violence. I guess that people already here, most of whom came as refugees at a time of greater instability in their home country, would be putting up the money.
Then easy to see why, even if the child never choses to move, they would want to give the child more choice / option than themselves may have.

Other, more desperate options far less appealing and hard to truely grasp from my comfy seat and lap top.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

From personal experience, our 2nd child was born in Canada this year whilst we were both on twp, this did not stop here getting a Canadian passport.
We were also quoted 10 to 12 grand for a c section as at the time we were almost out of hip coverage as a work permit was running out.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
I thought if parents were here illegally or visitor visa, child then takes on nationality of mother. Am I not reading this right..

However, Section 3(2) of the Current Act contains an exception to the above rule, at least for persons born in Canada after February 15, 1977. It states that Canadian citizenship is not granted to a child born in Canada if, at the time of his/her birth, neither of his/her parents was a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident and either parent was:
Myself and my wife currently have no children and are in the process of applying for residency FSW1.

Am I to correctly understand that if we are granted permanent resident status and move to Canada and have children, that those children are automatically granted citizenship?

As opposed to having children here, whereby if we move those children will have apply for residency themselves once they are no longer dependents (22 year olds in Canada)?

Wayne.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Waggle
Am I to correctly understand that if we are granted permanent resident status and move to Canada and have children, that those children are automatically granted citizenship?
Yes. And they'll have other citizenships by descent. British, I imagine.