BG Check help

Old Aug 25th 2005, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

indigshai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BG Check help

This is my first time on this forum and I see there are a lot of experienced people on this forum.

My question pertains to my PR application at Buffalo, NY. The timeline is as following:

Application Filed : Jan 2004
AOR : Feb 2004
IA : Sept 2004
Med : Oct 2004
FBI, PCC, Other Docs and RPRF : Jan 2005

Around Feb 2005 I sent a fax to CIC requesting a status. I got a letter back stating that BG check is still on may take 6-9 months. I sent a fax in Aug 2005 and got the same reply again!!

Now it is not clear and maybe someone may clarify as I know writing to CIC on this matter is futile:

1) 6-9 months in effect begins from which time? The date the letter from CIC is dated or from say Jan 2005 when they may have got the documents asked. I mean it could not be 6-9 months from two different dates which are about 5 months apart.

2) My medicals expire in Oct 2005 - how can I possibly get not to take these again?

Thanks for the input.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 5:13 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BG Check help

Background/security check is initiated after preliminary selection decision is made (after successful interview or interview waiver) or later if additional info and/or documents have been requested. Process may take anywhere from few months to well over a year to conclude and for some unlucky applicants more than 15 months. In case medicals expire in the meantime request for new medicals is sent.

Originally Posted by indigshai
This is my first time on this forum and I see there are a lot of experienced people on this forum.

My question pertains to my PR application at Buffalo, NY. The timeline is as following:

Application Filed : Jan 2004
AOR : Feb 2004
IA : Sept 2004
Med : Oct 2004
FBI, PCC, Other Docs and RPRF : Jan 2005

Around Feb 2005 I sent a fax to CIC requesting a status. I got a letter back stating that BG check is still on may take 6-9 months. I sent a fax in Aug 2005 and got the same reply again!!

Now it is not clear and maybe someone may clarify as I know writing to CIC on this matter is futile:

1) 6-9 months in effect begins from which time? The date the letter from CIC is dated or from say Jan 2005 when they may have got the documents asked. I mean it could not be 6-9 months from two different dates which are about 5 months apart.

2) My medicals expire in Oct 2005 - how can I possibly get not to take these again?

Thanks for the input.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

traceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to all

Keep us up to date on your case! My timeline is pretty much the same as yours, except I submitted my application in Feb 04 and meds in Nov. 04. I am also still in "background check" phase. Let me know if you get you PP request any time soon as then I "might" be able to expect mine! Thanks, Tracey
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:15 am
Just Joined

Are there any members with BG check? I just wanted to know what they mean by 6-9 months ? I mean from when ?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

SKHAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there any members with BG check? I just wanted to know what they mean by 6-9 months ? I mean from when ?
In my case background check started after the last document i submitted i.e FBI stuff. I am one of the unlucky application as my medical is expired this month :-(
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:13 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

CIC doesn't know when they will get results of background/security check. All what they state is just a guess and wisfull thinking, nothing more.

Every applicant age 18 and older (for some nationals age 16 and up) must undergo background/security check, no exceptions. So, every applicant in this forum has to go through it.

Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply Andrew.

Wow!! this really comes as a surprize. Even CIC does not know how much time it will take.

What is difference between BG check and the records they asked of us from FBI and Local Police authorities. I mean if the law protection authorites have given a clean bill then why does BG check take so long?

Getting these from FBI and local police took so long and at that time I thought the agony is over... but no... I guess it goes forever.

After BG check is over they will ask a medical again... doing and sending will take another 1-2 months... and then CIC will take its own time to send a PP request ... stamp it and send it back ... Between BG Check and PPR and PP coming back this is another year I suppose... which will mean my entire application time is about 3 years... wow and I thought the US immigration process was long...
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:34 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for your reply Andrew.

Wow!! this really comes as a surprize. Even CIC does not know how much time it will take.

What is difference between BG check and the records they asked of us from FBI and Local Police authorities. I mean if the law protection authorites have given a clean bill then why does BG check take so long?

Getting these from FBI and local police took so long and at that time I thought the agony is over... but no... I guess it goes forever.

After BG check is over they will ask a medical again... doing and sending will take another 1-2 months... and then CIC will take its own time to send a PP request ... stamp it and send it back ... Between BG Check and PPR and PP coming back this is another year I suppose... which will mean my entire application time is about 3 years... wow and I thought the US immigration process was long...
1. The FBI and PCCs are only criminal records check.
2. The security check done by CSIS is for associations to terroists/criminal and other undesirable organizations.
3. Background is check to see if the educational and job reference are factual.

PMM
Old Aug 27th 2005, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the clarification PMM.

Do you have any idea how long does Security Check and BG check takes?
Old Aug 27th 2005, 3:59 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the clarification PMM.

Do you have any idea how long does Security Check and BG check takes?
Its sort of like how deep is a hole, it depends on the countries where you have lived and how cooperative the govts are. Some security checks take a couple of months, others can take over a year. For the background check, if the documents are from well know reputable institutions, they may be accepted at face value. If there is some question about them, it will take a while if CIC has to contact the employers or the educational institutions.

PMM
Old Aug 27th 2005, 6:41 am
London, UK

newlooks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I got the same letter saying that 6-9 months will take to complete the BCheck.My medical expired on Aug 18, 2005 and waiting to do another one in near future. I applied in Oct 2003 and got IA in Aug 2004(interview waiver)

Good luck to everyone in the Que

Regards

newlooks
Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

traceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to all

Is it more usual than not that they contact previous employers/educational institutions? My current employer has not been contacted and my previous employer is no longer in business, although he did write me a letter of reference. Could this have something to do with why my case seems to be taking forever from the medicals? Why wouldn't they just contact my current employer?